Steelers Blocked Punt Schematic

Tasker said today on One Bills Live that Hauck was not back far enough when he took the snap.  He said punters are supposed to be farther back.  When Hauck got the ball he also took two tiny steps and then two more.  He was much too close to the line when he punted.  It was schemed well by the Steelers, but if Hauck was back where he should have been, the Steelers would have had to lay out to block it.  They didn't have to do that.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Tasker said today on One Bills Live that Hauck was not back far enough when he took the snap.  He said punters are supposed to be farther back.  When Hauck got the ball he also took two tiny steps and then two more.  He was much too close to the line when he punted.  It was schemed well by the Steelers, but if Hauck was back where he should have been, the Steelers would have had to lay out to block it.  They didn't have to do that.

Is this for real? Shouldn’t distance from the center be a standardized thing? 

Also, we discussed his Extra steps after the game— is that too his normal routine? 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I think he's right, only question is whether there was a legit reason for that  which is not on the punter- dealing with wind, adjustment for Reid Ferguson low snaps, whatever.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

from Sal Capaccio

If you click on the top tweet (might need to right click and "open in new tab" on a computer) it should take you there.

He's got a nifty diagram with moving circles to show what happened.

Thanks for posting.  Matakevich was interviewed and said this "scheme" that Pitt ran, was something they practiced against all week.  So they had the looks to go over, but Tyler stopped short of whose fault it was...likely he didn't know either until reviewing the film.

I'd surmise it was less on Haack and more on the protection breaking down.  This is just a guess, but either Klein needing to step down or Johnson.  

Either way, very rare to see a blocked punt(and go for 6) in the NFL.  But happening 2x within 3 years (Pats in 2019), is concerning to say the least.  

Alot of "learning moments" to take away from this game.  Not what anyone wants, but there were "flat" (mental lapse) moments that should get fixed quickly.  Like I've seen others say, can't open against the Jets each year and Pitt was a motivated/very good team coming into this

2 hours ago, StHustle said:

I definitely felt like it was partly on the punter...not sure BoJo gets that blocked!

Same here.  Punter acted like he had time to have a coffee and donut back there.  If there's no urgency going forward or to recognize pressure, he will have more punts blocked this season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Either way, very rare to see a blocked punt(and go for 6) in the NFL.  But happening 2x within 3 years (Pats in 2019), is concerning to say the least. 

A nit, but Haack's previous blocked punt(s) were in 2018, so 3 years ago.

One guy here pointed out that we got him to shank one last season vs. Miami but I'm not sure about that?  He had a decent average of 43.6 yds on 5 punts.  That was two short punts of 32 and 34 yds, one moderate punt of 42 yds, and two 55 yd punts (one of which McKenzie returned for a TD so....

Sounds like the blocked punt was a communication and/or execution failure on the blockers, compounded by the punter being too close to the line.  Whether that was a bad practice on his part, or an appropriate adjustment made for wind or snapping issues, can't say.

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

With as much "dedicated" and well-above-average-paid special teams personnel as the Bills employ.........critical mistakes really aren't easy to excuse.    

When You're Right, You're Right.  When much is given, much is expected!!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, jkeerie said:

I knew it. Right after the play I told my wife it didn't look like he was back far enough.  I found a video and he was 13 yards back.  I thought punters usually were 15 yards back.  I was going to see where the Rams or Bears punters lined up but they never punted again.  Gonna watch where they line up tonight. 

I also found an article that said HaUck is a 3 step punter whereas Bojo is a 2 step punter.  Would seem a 3 step punter should be further back.  HaUck had 1 blocked in the last 4 years and Bojo had 2 in 3 years.

That was the difference in the game right there.

Edited by reddogblitz

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

I knew it. Right after the play I told my wife it didn't look like he was back far enough.  I found a video and he was 13 yards back.  I thought punters usually were 15 yards back.  I was going to see where the Rams or Bears punters lined up but they never punted again.  Gonna watch where they line up tonight. 

I also found an article that said HaUck is a 3 step punter whereas Bojo is a 2 step punter.  Would seem a 3 step punter should be further back.  HaUck had 1 blocked in the last 4 years and Bojo had 2 in 3 years.

That was the difference in the game right there.

Tasker said they're supposed to be 15 yds back so you are correct.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Haack also seemed to be moving slow and, yes, it looked like if he took another step he would’ve kicked it into the O-line

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Exactly,  Haack was way too shallow and took 3 1/2 steps. That block was all on him.

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

With as much "dedicated" and well-above-average-paid special teams personnel as the Bills employ.........critical mistakes really aren't easy to excuse.    

Compare it to the other 31 teams. Give us the actual numbers.

This kind of statement is pointless without a source.