McDermott, Daboll, Frazier zoom session 9/13

YoloinOhio

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

All offseason long, the genius offensive coordinator has been saying the Bills won't do that and they're going to run it like they did last season, but "hopefully" more effectively when they do..

I just don't get it, you have a team rushing 4 and getting home against a bad line and spreading their backend defenders out clogging the WRs routes. Its basically a bright flashing neon sign saying "RUN THE BALL", "THROW A SCREEN", "FAST PASS TO HOT ROUTE". Josh needed a couple of series of plays where they play small ball and force defenders into the box and near the LOS to expect the short pass or run play. They did none of that, you can't keep hoping for 3-4 seconds of a clean pocket to hit an open guy if your line is playing like ***** and their front 4 is getting in Allen's grill every play. Hand off, get the ball out quickly. Force defenders forward, which will open the deep lanes.

Also Moss being a healthy scratch yesterday was Daboll just trying to outsmart himself. Their line and front 7 is ferocious and you bench your best pass pro RB? Wtf.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The flea flicker isn't a bad idea against that type of team. It didn't work because they actually covered well and I still don't think that ball came out right from Allen it kinda floated. The 4th and 1 play against this D was a mind boggling call. 

I loved the flea flicker.  Great call, just didn’t work. 

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He didn't say Dawkins wasn't being impacted by anything. 

IMHO Dawkins showed up to OTAs fat and out of condition.  If he's not being impacted by Covid, he could have returned to his previous fat and out of condition state.

He's not focused. Too busy running around with Benny The Butcher.

15 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The 2004 bills were also up 24-3 in the 4th quarter when they ran this play. And mr Daboll if you are going to run this play, run it the way the bills did by motioning a big bodied person NOT McKenzie. That play was flat out poorly designed and executed. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, StHustle said:

He's not focused. Too busy running around with Benny The Butcher.

Ai Yi Yi.  Do you think this will re-focus him?

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Overall I agree with McD yesterday that the D did enough to give us a chance to win.

But did anyone ask Frazier about what happened in the 2nd half where Pittsburgh scored on Every.  Single.  Drive.  ?

We need a defense that plays 60 minutes, not 30

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Why?? Aggressive 4th down gadget plays are what you run when you're down multiple scores and have nothing to lose, or up multiple scores and you can afford a risk to put the game away. This was a tightly contested one score game until the very end. Every 1st down in this game mattered. I'm shocked that Daboll didn't understand that. A 1 yard gain there would have been huge for our momentum. This tells me Daboll did not have a feel for this game at all.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

38 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

As he should.  It was a terrible game plan coupled with some pretty terrible calls.  I won't say he called a complete crap game but he certainly had some seriously bad calls here and there.  Going 4 and 5 wide most of the game was just stupid.  I don't care about the pass/run ratio but the personal and formations just ugh.

Well said. I think they know they royally screwed up. Josh also played terrible as did the OL.  It's ironic the only positive was Devin and his few touches. Ask Dallas how throwing 70% of the time works out.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, uninja said:

I just don't get it, you have a team rushing 4 and getting home against a bad line and spreading their backend defenders out clogging the WRs routes. Its basically a bright flashing neon sign saying "RUN THE BALL", "THROW A SCREEN", "FAST PASS TO HOT ROUTE". Josh needed a couple of series of plays where they play small ball and force defenders into the box and near the LOS to expect the short pass or run play. They did none of that, you can't keep hoping for 3-4 seconds of a clean pocket to hit an open guy if your line is playing like ***** and their front 4 is getting in Allen's grill every play. Hand off, get the ball out quickly. Force defenders forward, which will open the deep lanes.

Also Moss being a healthy scratch yesterday was Daboll just trying to outsmart himself. Their line and front 7 is ferocious and you bench your best pass pro RB? Wtf.

The only drive they moved the ball well was at the end of the 2nd half when they were in a hurry up offense. I don't think that is coincidence. Started with a run then short pass, short pass, deep strike to Davis. Then it literally went run / pass / run / pass to the endzone. 

• Like (+1) 1

Frazier is the one coach from yesterday I have no complaints about. He had a good game plan and had his players ready. A lot of the Steelers production came on circus catches and the one PI where Wallace didn't turn his head around. I can't blame Frazier for any of that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, uninja said:

Part of the issue is none of that was working. The screen game sucks and most definitely sucked yesterday. Before we were down by 10 Singletary was only averaging about 3 yards per carry. Once Pitt got a two possession lead, Singletary was getting 10 yards a clip. Pitt didn’t get up +10 until midway through the 4th. 

The quick passing game has been a weir anomaly under Daboll/Allen. I don’t have a great answer as to why. 

But when you break it down, the run game wasn’t working until the game was in hand. The screen game was failing. Our QB was jittery. I am not sure what else to do other than to get the quick passing game going. But that’s not anything that this offense has ever had in its wheelhouse. 

I just don’t know what the executable solution was.

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Frazier is the one coach from yesterday I have no complaints about. He had a good game plan and had his players ready. A lot of the Steelers production came on circus catches and the one PI where Wallace didn't turn his head around. I can't blame Frazier for any of that.

The defense gave up 16 points even with the 2nd half. They played well. 

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Part of the issue is none of that was working. The screen game sucks and most definitely sucked yesterday. Before we were down by 10 Singletary was only averaging about 3 yards per carry. Once Pitt got a two possession lead, Singletary was getting 10 yards a clip. Pitt didn’t get up +10 until midway through the 4th. 

The quick passing game has been a weir anomaly under Daboll/Allen. I don’t have a great answer as to why. 

But when you break it down, the run game wasn’t working until the game was in hand. The screen game was failing. Our QB was jittery. I am not sure what else to do other than to get the quick passing game going. But that’s not anything that this offense has ever had in its wheelhouse. 

I just don’t know what the executable solution was.

Well, for starters, you can't spend the offseason saying how you're not going to run and paying little attention to it. The Bills HAVE to figure out why their 5 offensive lineman can not create hole against 4 defensive lineman. It's way too consistent that it's a "they just suck" problem. There is a scheme problem in how they're blocking or what they're doing that they need to invest time and effort into figuring out. It feels like they just aren't interested and will rely on pass game always working which let's not forget there were 3-4 games last year where it didn't. Remember beating the Jets with only field goals?

For one, stop going 5 wide. Bring Knox in tight and throw quick passes to him. He seemed like could catch the ball yesterday when some others seemed to struggle. They have Gilliam...put him and singletary in the backfield for help blocking and a quick outlet. 

Also, I'll take 3 yards on 1st and 2nd down. 3rd and 4 with the defense having to at least respect that the Bills might run it is better than 5 wide with zero belief they were going to run. 

Edited by jeremy2020

1 minute ago, HappyDays said:

agree. Coached a very good game. 

I may also be in the minority, but I think Wallace is alright. He got the one bad PI call (which only works because Ben R three the ball like straight up into the air), but he made several good plays in coverage, including knocking the ball away on the TD that Johnson miraculously re-caught. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I do...question is how long will it take for this refound focus to translate onto the field.

I guess it depends upon whether he just needs to refocus his mind/game prep or if he needs to improve his S&C as well

A week of focus will do it for the mentals

S&C 2 weeks minimum to get something back, at least 4 weeks to get closer to peak