McDermott, Daboll, Frazier zoom session 9/13

YoloinOhio

I just don't get the insistence on 4-5 wide all game. Teams with a good backfield are just going to play contain with their front 4 and flood the zone with their CBs, safeties and lbs. Teams with good lines are just going to pin their ears back and pass rush knowing the play is gonna be a pass, hoping the back can hold up long enough to get someone home and sack Allen.

We need a balanced attack, or at least the semblance/illusion of a balanced attack. The Steeler's played a great game defensively and basically dared us to run the ball or throw a screen away from the line and we did none of those things. You're not going to get those slow developing 20-25 chunk plays if the other team's line knows its gonna be a pass and is just going to rush the passer every down.

• Agree 1

Just now, uninja said:

I just don't get the insistence on 4-5 wide all game. Teams with a good backfield are just going to play contain with their front 4 and flood the zone with their CBs, safeties and lbs. Teams with good lines are just going to pin their ears back and pass rush knowing the play is gonna be a pass, hoping the back can hold up long enough to get someone home and sack Allen.

We need a balanced attack, or at least the semblance/illusion of a balanced attack. The Steeler's played a great game defensively and basically dared us to run the ball or throw a screen away from the line and we did none of those things. You're not going to get those slow developing 20-25 chunk plays if the other team's line knows its gonna be a pass and is just going to rush the passer every down.

Agreed. Is someone from the media going to ask him this? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mango said:

What an odd response. Maybe I am missing something, but if Josh is not in rhythm, surely we can do more than decide whether to hand the ball off, call options, or have him throw the ball. You know, like, some short quick high percentage passes to get him going a bit. 

I think they called some of the latter at times Josh was definitely looking for the hollywood ball. It was on everyone. Bad gameplan, poorly called, inconsistent QB play and dreadful blocking up front (plus a couple of drops from receivers). A mess. Hopefully just a bad day at the office.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, uninja said:

All offseason long, the genius offensive coordinator has been saying the Bills won't do that and they're going to run it like they did last season, but "hopefully" more effectively when they do..

3 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Again...will anyone ask him WHY he thought those plays were the right call against a Pitts D that was pinning its ears back and penetrating quickly all game?

3 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

These reporters should have pounced on that. WTF about 2004 Seattle defense reminds you of the recent Steelers defenses under Tomlin?

YES.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, we know.  What we don't know is why Daboll thought that was a good play selection with Josh Allen under center and an OL that had been blocking no one all game.

The play was dead before it was called regardless of how our OL was playing.

The big change to have McKenzie out wide and then motion back to the pack, instead of having a TE come across the formation, sabotaged that play. They made that one change, and it results in the DB being brought right to the play and having a perfect view to blow it up.

Josh needs to wait to see if the DB follows the WR across the formation, and if not (like they didnt yesterday), audible into a normal run up the middle or a qb sneak.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 6

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Again...will anyone ask him WHY he thought those plays were the right call against a Pitts D that was pinning its ears back and penetrating quickly all game?

The flea flicker isn't a bad idea against that type of team. It didn't work because they actually covered well and I still don't think that ball came out right from Allen it kinda floated. The 4th and 1 play against this D was a mind boggling call. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Terrible execution then. Josh didn't look like tried to fake it at all.

Dabol is wrong, it is NOT the same play, back then they had a tight formation, moved the TE from the right to behind the LOS to sell the run and you are correct Josh did a terrible fake versus Beldsoe.  Other difference is as I wrote it was a tight formation, why we had McKenzie out wide to the left, then it was idiotic then put him in motion to draw the CB right to where the play was being developed, than Gilliam whiffed on the tackle and let Sutton make the play all by himself.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Daboll with the excuses. I knew it. That’s fine Daboll, most of us know. 

What do you want him to do when asked questions. He already said it is on him and he has to do a better job. As has McDermott. As has Allen. They all acknowledge that they were not good enough yesterday.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Terrible execution then. Josh didn't look like tried to fake it at all.

I remember the play well.   The difference is that the pitch went to the same side as the fake sneak to bait the edge defender.  Ran it against SF, I believe, over the left side. 

Now it’s even more aggravating bc they put the concept on film in the PS.  (I believe against Chicago).  I was surprised when it happened in the PS; I thought they should have saved it.