The 4th down play, executed properly

https://fb.watch/7-oQ7lbzN8/

Sorry it's a Facebook link, but Buffalo Fanatics posted the 2001 version of the same play (which was successful) and then yesterday's debacle in contrast. If you don't have Facebook:

A) God bless you for making the right choice

B) sorry, I haven't seen this anywhere else to share it from

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Excellent, not EXACTLY the same play with one HUGE difference.

Yesterday we had Isiah McKenzie split out wide left, he goes in motion, stops right behind Allen and they hike the ball.  What Isiah moving did was have the covering CB on him follow him RIGHT to where the play was being developed.  Also in the first play that worked, they moved the TE to the right of the line trying to sell the fact they were going to run and the QB (11) did a better job at selling the run as well.  Two huge differences but the motion by Isaiah was really what helped blow it up.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The earlier play was for one executed much better from the run fake to OL sell out. Not to mention look at the numbers - original play had one guy on the outside vs multiple defenders yesterday partially due to a wr going in  motion bringing the QB over. It was plain ugly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

The earlier play was for one executed much better from the run fake to OL sell out. Not to mention look at the numbers - original play had one guy on the outside vs multiple defenders yesterday partially due to a wr going in  motion bringing the QB over. It was plain ugly. 

one key point is the distance. The Seahawks had to sell out on the sneak since it was 4th and inches. Steelers couldn’t because it was a long yard— they kept everyone at home and played disciplined in the event of a handoff to the RB. 

Also having Breida (the speedster) out there was a dead giveaway that it might be a pitch. 

• Agree 2

I had a deja vu when watching the play yesterday - and it was the play you show here.  That may have been the highlight of the Mularkey era.  Credit the Steelers staff for their extensive film review.  I'm kidding of course...  But when I saw the formation, I knew exactly what the play was going to be.  If I knew it, I'm sure the Steelers did too.  I would have been OK with the QB sneak or a play action quick slant to the TE.

Edited by msw2112

7 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Also having Breida (the speedster) out there was a dead giveaway that it might be a pitch. 

Another problem with Daboll's schemes is that any time there's an RB on the field, it's a run.  Some pedant will point out the 15% of plays where that's not true but for the vast majority of plays where there's a RB lined up in the backfield, that's what's gonna happen. Allen & Co aren't good enough to telegraph plays and get away with them

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

one key point is the distance. The Seahawks had to sell out on the sneak since it was 4th and inches. Steelers couldn’t because it was a long yard— they kept everyone at home and played disciplined in the event of a handoff to the RB. 

Good point.

Looking at it more, #41 Gilliam did a horrible job blocking the Pitt defender, Sutton? who single handed beat Gilliam and got the tackle for loss.

6 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Nor did the line or Allen. If you compare those two plays the 2001 Bills sell the whole thing better. 

True BUT as someone else pointed out versus Seattle, and we had a tight formation,   as well as all the other aforementioned mistakes on that play.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive