If Allen can't fix this fumbling issue, we aren't going very far

JerseyBills

8 hours ago, RobbRiddick said:

Agreed. There's no doubt Josh can be reckless, but it seems like every time he's involved in a bad play it gets brought down to 'sugar high' Josh. Every QB fumbles and every QB throws INTs and every QB takes sacks but the narrative with Allen is that whenever any of those things happen, in any circumstances, it's "same old Josh". 

That’s because he fumbles in every game. Lol.

10 hours ago, TBBills said:

Bills went very far last year.

Exactly. And in the playoffs it was the only one out of the three games that Allen didn't have a fumble that he had his worst overall performance.  I rather Allen not fumble as well but it's not as bad as throwing and INT. A fumble you have a 50/50 chance of recovering. An INT is 100% a turnover. He's cut way back on the INT's in general. So if we are talking essentially one turnover a game from the QB, as long as that QB is also making plays, Bills will be fine. Could it cost the Bills a playoff game? Sure it could. But it didn't last year. And I would feel very confident in saying rarely will it be the reason for a postseason loss. 

5 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Josh carries the ball like a loaf of bread when he runs

He reformed and started carrying it properly midway through 2019.  He backslid last season.  I feel certain our coaches will give him a "gentle reminder"

19 minutes ago, Governor said:

That’s because he fumbles in every game. Lol.

Logic

The Bills played 19 games last season

Josh Allen fumbled 11 times in 10 different games last season

Therefore he does not fumble in every game

7 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Absolutely agree

Idk why ppl are disagreeing with you or my post.

Allen has had these issues for 3 seasons and I was hoping he would limit these mistakes at least in year 4. 

Seeing the same result for 3+ years and expecting something different is on you is how the old saying goes.  I 100% don't expect the fumbling issue to ever go away with Allen. Does that make me afraid or think less of Allen as our franchise QB? Not in the least. I'd say the comp would be Brett Favre where you knew every now and then he was just going to absolutely crush you with a boneheaded INT. 

I'll be concerned if Allen's positives no longer greatly out weigh his bad side. Sunday was not a good game for him. And it wasn't because of the turnovers. Hell, Brady threw 3 INT's in one half of last year's NFCCG. A good QB should easily be able to over come one turnover. The fact that Allen and the offense really couldn't make any big plays on Sunday was what was most concerning to me. Unless last year was a total fluke we shouldn't have to worry about a lack of big plays and production over the long haul from Allen.

7 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He reformed and started carrying it properly midway through 2019.  He backslid last season.  I feel certain our coaches will give him a "gentle reminder"

Logic

The Bills played 19 games last season

Josh Allen fumbled 11 times in 10 different games last season

Therefore he does not fumble in every game

Yep. And I am seeing 9 different games instead of 10. And of the 11 fumbles off the top of my head at least one last year was 100% on Zack Moss but credited to Allen simply because Allen was the one who last controlled the ball. 

No doubt Allen fumbles far more than average for a QB but it is getting blown out of proportion if we think it is a serious issue to be concerned with. As others have noted already far more concerning may be his lack of touch on deep balls. 

57 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Yep. And I am seeing 9 different games instead of 10. And of the 11 fumbles off the top of my head at least one last year was 100% on Zack Moss but credited to Allen simply because Allen was the one who last controlled the ball. 

No doubt Allen fumbles far more than average for a QB but it is getting blown out of proportion if we think it is a serious issue to be concerned with. As others have noted already far more concerning may be his lack of touch on deep balls. 

Right you are, my bad - 9 different games.  And yes, there are situations like a fumbled Center-QB exchange where close examination says it's on Morse but Allen gets credited with it, or with Zach Moss where it's on Zach but Allen gets credited with it.

It's an issue that Allen carries the ball like a loaf of bread when he runs, instead of properly cradled against his body.  Even if he gets away with it most times, it's still a problem, and it should be corrected because unlike connecting on a deep ball which depend on a whole crew  (OL, WR etc), it's something Allen can 100% control.  Control what you can Control.

But he's still gonna fumble on sacks and sometimes at the "mesh point" where he's making the decision to transition from passer to runner

Just for reference, Lamar Jackson (who I haven't heard of as having a fumbling problem) fumbled 11 times last year in 17 games.  Kyler Murray fumbled 9 times in 16 games.  Deshaun Watson fumbled 8 times last season in 16 games, 11 times in 17 games in 2019.  Russ Wilson fumbled 7 times last season in 17 games, but earlier in his career he had seasons where he fumbled 12, 13, 14 times per season! 

I pick these guys as examples because they are all dual-threat QBs and Wilson, like Allen, tends to hang on to the ball a long time and scramble around looking for plays. 

Again, I'm not saying it's good, but an apples-to-apples comparison to other dual threat QBs may give perspective.

Fumbles are a bad thing. I remember when George Allen benched Roman Gabriel for fumbling 4 times in 2 weeks

I will try a quote here " The ball is your paycheck, don't leave it laying around "

Edited by HOUSE

5 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Someone who was at the game said in the postgame thread that it was very windy and you could tell it was affecting both QBs

It was windy.

13 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

Was told all off-season Allen doesn’t have a problem with deep throws and I’m just being negative….. 

To be fair, you are REALLY negative. .

Edited by Tenhigh

He is rather cavalier in that he doesn’t actually protect the ball when he runs, 

as to protecting the ball, 

“there is do or not do, there is no try”…

Go Bills!!!

Unfortunately it may not get "fixed" as much as we'd like. I mean he and coaches are fully aware and have been aware for going on 3 years that it's an issue and running plays are still called quite a bit for him. I think it may just be one of those things that sticks with him.

With that said, I don't think it's a big enough issue that keeps the team from "going far".  Sure it could happen in an crucial point in a game that could possibly be a big reason for a loss. But won't determine how far they can get in the long run

• Agree 2