If Allen can't fix this fumbling issue, we aren't going very far

JerseyBills

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

If I wanted close I’d play horseshoes. 

Brady and Ben get the ball out really quickly. Josh has to learn to do this when faced with a good defensive front. If not, he needs to advocate for more screens and rollouts. 

They should call for more screens when they see how the game is going.  EhT you are telling me is it sounds like it’s on your OC more than anyone else for not modifying the game plan.  (Same happened to my team when our dumb ass OC continued using Harris even though it was obvious to everyone he was spent. The fumble was on him not Harris IMO and as an example.)

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The one he lost was a blind side sack strip. It happens to everyone. Mario did it to Ben in the same game. Not a whole lot you can do when a guy you don't see coming smacks the ball while you're holding it in one hand trying to get a pass off.

Agreed. There's no doubt Josh can be reckless, but it seems like every time he's involved in a bad play it gets brought down to 'sugar high' Josh. Every QB fumbles and every QB throws INTs and every QB takes sacks but the narrative with Allen is that whenever any of those things happen, in any circumstances, it's "same old Josh". 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

None of it matters. I don’t care how far it went. Warning track power. It means nothing, it’s still an out. Super bowl win or bust, everything else is a failure and needs to be fixed. 

Okay so then you agree the Chiefs last year didn't make it far.  Only TB.  That's the definition.  

33 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Brady and Ben get the ball out really quickly. Josh has to learn to do this when faced with a good defensive front. If not, he needs to advocate for more screens and rollouts. 

Screen passes are not effective when a team is only rushing 4, or sometimes even 3, like Pittsburgh did yesterday.

Edited by Beast

The OP is correct. I don't put all the blame on Josh, of course, but it's a real problem. He has consistently been among the top fumblers in the league. What irks me is the fact that there's simply no reason for it. It's all in his mind. The coaches need to step in and correct the problem, but they don't.

I love how folks rush to defend Josh's terrible fumbling habit focusing on other issues instead.

Two wrongs don't make a right! 

The fumbling wasn't why we lost yesterday, and it may never keep us out of a Super Bowl appearance...but it's still a huge problem and should have been cleaned up by now! 

I can't believe the way he continues to grip the ball with 1 hand and wave it around with an outstretched arm as he scrambles...that crap should have been coached out of him a LONG time ago...

It needs to get cleaned up! 

But much more importantly, he needs to consistently read defenses and throw the ball accurately.

It would also help tremendously if he could learn to complete a deep pass--something he is literally incapable of doing most of the time.

2 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I haven't seen this discussed much and feel it deserves its own thread. 

2 more fumbles yesterday! 1 turnover,  but this has plauged him threw 3 years and was expecting him to clean this up entering this year. 

Plan and simple, if Allen can't find a resolution to this issue and it continues to impact his game, I don't think we ever make it out of the AFC. 

His fumbling is not going cost us the season but he must protect the ball better. Josh should not be the primary runner in our attack. It's bad on so many levels. Let's let him do his thing after going through progressions, and there's open space. He was an option for Dabol with playcalling and Pittsburgh was ready. We need to get away from calling his # for a few games. He took some big hits Sunday. 

With the defensive fronts Pitt was using, they need to run the ball.   I felt that they were being challenged to run, and they passed twice as much as running.   

I get that Pitt is a good team, but when the opposing D challenges you to do something you need to make them pay.  The bills averaged 4.7 per rush so why all the passing? 

Not a good sign when the top RB only had 2 more runs than the QB.

If the Bills are to beat the better teams the Offensive game planning needs to be better.    

Edited by artmalibu

1 hour ago, IronMaidenBills said:

If I wanted close I’d play horseshoes. 

Absolutely agree

Idk why ppl are disagreeing with you or my post.

Allen has had these issues for 3 seasons and I was hoping he would limit these mistakes at least in year 4. 

I understand it was 1 game. I understand it was against a very good defense but i hold Josh to extremely high standards, considering his contract and career trajectory. 

He played very mediocre yesterday and this fumbling issue will lose us games in the playoffs or big reg season gms. It was a huge play yesterday,  momentum shifter.

This needs to change... 

Edited by JerseyBills

2 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

They should call for more screens when they see how the game is going.  EhT you are telling me is it sounds like it’s on your OC more than anyone else for not modifying the game plan.  (Same happened to my team when our dumb ass OC continued using Harris even though it was obvious to everyone he was spent. The fumble was on him not Harris IMO and as an example.)

What happened in the game to make you think screens would work?  Pittsburgh wasn't blitzing.  They were getting home with their front four and dropping 7.  Screens don't work against that.

Two words ... Grip master.

I have been beating the drum for this guy to work on his fumbling since year one. I guess the analytics say it isnt an issue? Come on we used to have a drill in highschool where you would have to protect the football all day everyday while everyone around you tries to knock it out of your hands. There has to be something this brain trust can do.

So just to make it clear, reading this thread, we’re expecting to get deep into the post season with a lead quarterback who:

- Constantly fumbles the ball

- Cannot read a defense

- Cannot execute deep throws

???

All I can say is we certainly defied expectation last year based on the above.

I would really like to see Josh stop with the pocket stiff arm. I've never seen another player even do it once and he does it 2-3 times a game. Like a DL straight at him, you got the ball in your other hand flailing around. He makes magic out of it once in a blue moon, it's just a reckless play with poor risk to reward.  

12 minutes ago, Billl said:

What happened in the game to make you think screens would work?  Pittsburgh wasn't blitzing.  They were getting home with their front four and dropping 7.  Screens don't work against that.

Yes they do Pats did it all the time you still can get one lineman out there to block for him. It slows the pass rush down because the play is so quick. Also why you call quick slants etc. things designed get the ball out quickly. 

3 hours ago, 34-78-83 said:

Was Allen off some yesterday and feeling that Pittsburgh rush? Yes for sure!

Now -

Did EITHER team remotely complete any short OR long TOUCH PASSES with any consistency?

Did any of you see fairly common throws from both QB's go over the head of the target or even suddenly into the dirt?

If you answered No and Yes you are correct, AND isn't that odd that both QB's seemed affected equally with those?

Last question - did any of you who attended the game throw the football around in the parking lot at all, or see any who were doing so?

Just asking. There are many factors that affect each game uniquely.

To clarify - this is for the other complaints in Josh's game yesterday discussed in this thread, not regarding the fumbles! :)

I was wondering if it was windy up there yesterday.

Then I saw Coach go for it on 4th/8 from the 35.

That seemed to answer that question. 🌬️💨💨