Watching the game again this game is all on Daboll

4 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If you rewatch the game(if you can stomach  it) the Steelers only rushed 4 and did very little “Blitzburgh” stuff.  
  They where begging the Bills to take the ball out of Josh’s hands and run it the Bills didn’t….that’s 4 games in row now teams are telling you we are not letting Allen beat us.
  Daboll literally seems to have no confidence in our ability to run the ball or he truely is a one trick pony pass every down and pray we make the end zone coordinator.
  The truth is this is very fixable it was one game but it is a larger problem that the league has figured out Daboll and now he must adjust we shall see if he does.  

Anyone who does not agree with this assessment is either blind or in straight denial.  Daboll was figured out by the Steelers and he still made no halftime adjustment.  We should have put up 50+ with the field positioning we had.  Awful, awful game plan going in with zero adjustments.  

Without a blocked punt returned for a touchdown, an interception overturned on a questionable call, and a DPI on 3rd and long we are singing the Bills praises non-stop today.  Without those and one or two dumbo decisions, we win by two touchdowns.  It's not the way we wanted the Bills to start, but they did show improvement on defense.  The Bills need to find a way to gain chunks of yards against the light boxes and they'll win these sorts of games easily.  Also, is it possible to go back to a 2-step punt?  By the time he takes all those steps to punt the ball, he is nearly at the line of scrimmage.

Edited by Rock'em Sock'em
  • Disagree 2

56 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Part of that 6-21 is not having a competent QB. Stafford will help that statistic. 
Allen on the Rams is an instant Super Bowl favorite. 

Jared Goff is "not competent"? Really? He looked reasonably competent last night on an awful team. Stafford is better but Goff is a competent Quarterback.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Jared Goff is "not competent"? Really? He looked reasonably competent last night on an awful team. Stafford is better but Goff is a competent Quarterback.

Goff isn’t capable of leading a team to a super bowl. So no, he isn’t competent. Stafford is capable of bringing a super bowl to the Rams. 

38 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I blame Allen too though. There were a bunch of plays he had the short option and refused to take it, forcing the ball long into coverage.  

This is his biggest flaw , he feels like he needs to be Superman and get everything back at once, especially when the stadium is rocking in big games,  I hope it's not a Fatal flaw. 

Agree. End of the day wether people want to believe this or not. He is paid as a top tier QB top 5 do he exact. Expectations grow. He has to meet those expectations. And he will be the first to tell people he didn’t play to standard. I think Fans also seeing that means at least they are watching without rose glasses on. 

4 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Except he did

Victory. Should have said victory. He was there purely because of McVay. If Goff does it again, I will eat a pile of cow dung. 

6 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Agree. End of the day wether people want to believe this or not. He is paid as a top tier QB top 5 do he exact. Expectations grow. He has to meet those expectations. And he will be the first to tell people he didn’t play to standard. I think Fans also seeing that means at least they are watching without rose glasses on. 

Is Josh Allen a top 5 QB? I believe so. If that is the case, then he is capable of bringing a super bowl win to Buffalo. If he doesn’t within the next 4 years, then the blame will be on management. I feel Allen has potential to be the greatest of all time, and I feel his OC is holding him back. But time will tell. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

Good post and good research by the OP.  It should be noted that 9 of the 25 runs were Allen.  Some were scrambles, some were by design.  

What the stats don’t show is the OL was completely dominated and that kept Allen unsettled.  Instead of simplifying Daboll called big hitter but low percentage plays at critical times. Unfortunately the team was never in a groove to execute them.  Reflecting back to being inside Pittsburgh territory and throwing deep on 3rd and 1, but then punting on 4 and 1, to me that shows that Daboll and McD were not even in sync.  

I am a McD fan but he has to take responsibility for the inconsistencies with the decisions on 4th down when just inside Pitt territory.  Opportunities to pick up a yard, or a kick FG, or pin Pittsburgh deep were squandered for plays that didn’t work. 

Details are important.  We have a bunch of players from last year, and new players this year that never played a home game in front of a sell out in Buffalo.   Even that detail escaped him as we had many players stuck in traffic and arriving late.  

I am surprised by it but this team was not completely ready, at least not to the level of their opponent.  

9 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Goff isn’t capable of leading a team to a super bowl. So no, he isn’t competent. Stafford is capable of bringing a super bowl to the Rams. 

He led them to the game and lost to the best defensive coach of all time. Again, Stafford is an upgrade... but McVay is not a genius. His offense is predictable and flawed in its own right. It is the Mike Shanahan stretch zone version of the WCO with a bit of jet motion and as I demonstrated last week since Matt Patricia cracked the code at the end of that 2018 season their average points per game have plummeted from 31 to 23. Putting all that on Jared Goff not being competent is a reach. 

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The Rams have less talent than we do, they also had a worse QB than we did. So the leading at the half statistic is an important gauge of how well a coach held onto the game with minimal talent. McDermott should have a better halftime record than he does with the talent he has. That’s my only point. I feel like this coaching staff isnt getting the most out of Allen. 

I feel Allen would make the Rams an instant super bowl favorites under McVay. If people don’t believe that, then why did we pay Allen top money? 

More talent than they do? Yeah, probably, but where's our Aaron Donald? Their roster on defense is terrific. Two first team all-pros on D. Our WRs are maybe stronger than theirs but theirs are really solid up and down. Their OL was better than ours last year, and while they lost a bit, IMO stands to be better this year. Overall the Bills have the edge but not by a whole ton. LA has a fine roster. The Bills were better, but they also played three games better, living up to their roster.

And no, the leading at the half statistic is absolutely not "an important gauge of how well a coach held onto the game with minimal talent." It's not even close to purely a coaching stat, and pretending that the Rams can be said to have "minimal talent" is flat-out ridiculous. The stat to look at for how well a team holds onto the game is wins and losses.

Again, McDermott's Bills were 12-1 in that stat last year. And that doesn't mean anything particular either, barring that it's easier to win when you're ahead at halftime

And again, the Bills with Allen already are one of the Super Bowl favorites. McDermott's record in that ridiculous stat (and I don't know what it is, but it's just fine last year and this) doesn't affect that. 

22 minutes ago, Mango said:

Hot take: Since the closing of the BBMB this place has become way more fickle. Daboll isn’t perfect, the hype around him last year was way too high. Him and Josh have their issues and sometimes they are the same thing at the same time. The 4th down play against Houston comes to mind. Why even call a play with Dimarco down the seem, and WTF did Josh throw it into double coverage.l?

Daboll deserves some criticism. Hes gotten criticized for the same things year after year. Last year is the blip. He’s not terrible, but he’s not a stud either. He has done a decent job of developing our QB. 

I agree to much of this. When you win its easy to just say we won, who cares. But there are so many times Daboll has done things that I just dont get. You can ask is Allen better because of Daboll? Is Daboll lucky Allen is so good that it makes him look good? Combo of both? Personally I am still not sold on Daboll and give more of the success to Allen. I think a ton of OC's could score points with Allen and the Bills offense. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Victory. Should have said victory. He was there purely because of McVay. If Goff does it again, I will eat a pile of cow dung. 

Is Josh Allen a top 5 QB? I believe so. If that is the case, then he is capable of bringing a super bowl win to Buffalo. If he doesn’t within the next 4 years, then the blame will be on management. I feel Allen has potential to be the greatest of all time, and I feel his OC is holding him back. But time will tell. 

Well Goff isn't leading this Lions team to a Superbowl, clearly. They are lacking a lot of talent. Matt Stafford with more talented Lions roster made the playoffs 3 times in 12 seasons. So expecting Goff to make the Superbowl to prove he is "competent" doesn't quite seem a fair barometer. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Well Goff isn't leading this Lions team to a Superbowl, clearly. They are lacking a lot of talent. Matt Stafford with more talented Lions roster made the playoffs 3 times in 12 seasons. So expecting Goff to make the Superbowl to prove he is "competent" doesn't quite seem a fair barometer. 

2011 Giants were a terrible team with negative point differentials. A competent QB can defy all odds. If Goff is truly competent, he will build up his team as talent is added. 
With the amount of talent the Bills have, there is no good reason why we can’t win a super bowl. It comes down to beating KC. 

1 minute ago, Bob in STL said:

Good post and good research by the OP.  It should be noted that 9 of the 25 runs were Allen.  Some were scrambles, some were by design.  

What the stats don’t show is the OL was completely dominated and that kept Allen unsettled.  Instead of simplifying Daboll called big hitter but low percentage plays at critical times. Unfortunately the team was never in a groove to execute them.  Reflecting back to being inside Pittsburgh territory and throwing deep on 3rd and 1, but then punting on 4 and 1, to me that shows that Daboll and McD were not even in sync.  

I am a McD fan but he has to take responsibility for the inconsistencies with the decisions on 4th down when just inside Pitt territory.  Opportunities to pick up a yard, or a kick FG, or pin Pittsburgh deep were squandered for plays that didn’t work. 

Details are important.  We have a bunch of players from last year, and new players this year that never played a home game in front of a sell out in Buffalo.   Even that detail escaped him as we had many players stuck in traffic and arriving late.  

I am surprised by it but this team was not completely ready, at least not to the level of their opponent.  

Bottom line - team was not ready. Not like Pitt was either, but they stuck around, made less mistakes and took advantage when needed to pull out the win. I still think we would beat that Pitt team 8 out of 10 times. Hopefully just a bump in the round and not an indication of the season ahead. But if I am a DC playing the Bills I am watching this game and the KC playoff game. 

4 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

No, I just want accountability. I want to win super bowls. I’m tired of being embarrassed as a Bills fan. I love my Bills and it hurts to know we haven’t sniffed a super bowl for various reasons. If we can’t beat KC and other elite teams then we need better talent or better talent evaluators or coaches. No more being happy to just have a team in Buffalo. 

That's on you not on the team in any way.  I'm never embarrassed by being a Bills fan. I hate they lost 4 in a row but the 90's teams were very entertaining and am glad they were the Bills team.  Today's Bill's are fun to watch easy to, root for and very entertaining.  I certainly want them to win the SB, but as a fan I am perfectly fine with watching great football no matter the final outcome. I get a sense of disappointment after losses more for the players I don't take it as a personal loss as I don't take their wins as personal wins.

Sounds to me you are more of a fan of the W/L column than a Bills fan.  And that's fine if that is what is most important to you personally.  To me I enjoy seeing the Bills players succeed but it is always their success not mine and I just observe the ups and downs of the process.  It's more enjoyable in many ways when its not overly easy.  Bumps make the journey interesting.  

I'm almost convinced they throw in these bumps deliberately because otherwise some really questionable strategy is being put on display.  Now is that on purpose or did the coaches just really drop the ball.

There are just too many possibilities that could exist for me to get worked up over.  I'll see what develops further. Otherwise why not just pin your hopes to the outcome of the first coin toss.    Oh no we lost the toss there goes any chance at a perfect season......

Edited by AuntieEm
Corrections

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

2011 Giants were a terrible team with negative point differentials. A competent QB can defy all odds. If Goff is truly competent, he will build up his team as talent is added. 
With the amount of talent the Bills have, there is no good reason why we can’t win a super bowl. It comes down to beating KC. 

So your judgment of Stafford is what he does with the Rams not his relative failure with the Lions and your judgment of Goff is the other way around? Why didn't Stafford defy all odds with Megatron and Bush and Tate and Suh etc? 

34 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I don’t agree. I think coaching is the difference. Allen has a much higher chance at a super bowl under McVay than under McDermott. Just my opinion. 

Look what McVay does with Stafford. I believe Allen is better than Stafford. Allen hasn’t reached his ceiling yet, but I feel like his OC is handicapping him with bad plays. A good OC maximizes opportunities. Allen threw 51 times for less than 300 yards. That’s stupid bad. 

McVay has one game with Stafford. They might be a top five Super Bowl contender this year. Or not. We don't know yet.

And yeah, Allen had less than 300 yards. How was Daboll holding him back when Allen overthrew a wide open Sanders on that bomb? Sorry, but Allen had a bunch of poor throws today. You like Allen, so you're trying not to put any of the blame on him. That doesn't make sense. He deserves a lot of the blame today, just as McDermott and Daboll deserve a lot of the credit for last year.