Watching the game again this game is all on Daboll

What is a bit frustrating with the whole offense back what new things did Daboll add to the offense?  That throw back 4th down run, and line Mckenzie up in the backfield?  Of the games I watched Buffalo had the most vanilla offense.  No real motion, to real formation shifts.  

50 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I suppose the one thing they could have done is gotten in Allen's face and told him to exploit the short stuff play after play. His game yesterday consisted of playing to the Steelers' defensive strengths -- looking downfield constantly into 6-7 man coverage units while his o-line whiffed in front of him. There are answers if you have guys who can get open quickly, which the Bills have.

I think that works much of the time, but I'm sure the coaching staff got annoyed with Josh's inaccurate swing passes. You really can't afford that in today's NFL, he had that all figured out last year. Sure, 50% Comp% when half your throws end up 20 yards downfield is to be expected. But when you're dinking and dunking, you have to be stringing passes together at a 65+% clip (or breaking tackles for big RAC). Allen was off, and the quicker he figures out where that went wrong, the quicker things return to 2020 form.

Edited by pocoboy

It's only one game. The combination of Josh "jitters" Allen feeling so amped up needing to justify his contract and Daboll knowing he's the smartest guy in the room created the perfect storm. S#÷t Storm that is.  Josh will be fine. His performance as underwhelming as it was would have still been good enough for a victory. Unfortunately some bone headed playcalling, untimely head scratching penalties, a blocked punt for TD and Levi Wallace at CB2 turned it to a loss. 

Josh and Daboll aren't going to see this type of formidable defense every week and maybe when they do next time they'll be better prepared. 

2 minutes ago, pocoboy said:

I think that works much of the time, but I'm sure the coaching staff got annoyed with Josh's inaccurate swing passes. You really can't afford that in today's NFL, he had that all figured out last year. Sure, 50% Comp% when half your throws end up 20 yards downfield is to be expected. But when you're dinking and dunking, you have to be stringing passes together at a 65+% clip (or breaking tackles for big RAC). Allen was off, and the quicker he figures out where that went wrong, the quicker things return to 2020 form.

Bad day.  Everyone has them in the NFL.  Allen fought through it.  Daboll needs to get him in rythem.

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If you rewatch the game(if you can stomach  it) the Steelers only rushed 4 and did very little “Blitzburgh” stuff.  
  They where begging the Bills to take the ball out of Josh’s hands and run it the Bills didn’t….that’s 4 games in row now teams are telling you we are not letting Allen beat us.
  Daboll literally seems to have no confidence in our ability to run the ball or he truely is a one trick pony pass every down and pray we make the end zone coordinator.
  The truth is this is very fixable it was one game but it is a larger problem that the league has figured out Daboll and now he must adjust we shall see if he does.  

My take is Daboll has complete control of the offense and he is hell bent of making that Buffalo passing game work... no matter what.

He wants to see Josh Allen MVP as he sees it as a feather in his cap. He wants the Bills to be an all out passing team with no need for the run game besides being a distraction at times. 

I kind of get the impression that the Chargers didn't offer him enough money, control or both as HC.

I don't know if the "league" has figured out Daboll. However, I do know the Chiefs and Steelers have.

It really will be a long season for Bills fans if the other teams have caught on. We will see Sunday as the 1-0 Miami Dolphins should be fielding a decent defense. 

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

To me it looked like they went into the game expecting Man coverage, and got alot of Zone.

the Adjustment should have been Hand the Ball off and throw short.  They got the throw short part adjusted, just never got the hand the ball off part.

I ALSO WANT ALL designed runs from Allen GONE and out of this offense.  If he isnt doing it organically on a pass, the ONLY time I want these Designed runs are 3rd and 4th and Short and in the endzone with a pass option to the rollout.  or like a QB Draw.  

I blame Allen too though. There were a bunch of plays he had the short option and refused to take it, forcing the ball long into coverage.  

This is his biggest flaw , he feels like he needs to be Superman and get everything back at once, especially when the stadium is rocking in big games,  I hope it's not a Fatal flaw. 

Rewatched the flea flicker again this morning and Gabe Davis is wide open for a screen that would have went 20-30 yards easy.

I wonder if Daboll keeps that play in his back pocket with a different outcome next time. Sell the flea flicker, fake deep, and hit the WR underneath at the LOS.

47 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Well I will give a McDermott the benefit of the doubt and will start his stat counter this year seeming how we are no longer a rebuilding team. McDermott is currently 0-1 when leading at the half. 

Really? You figure that last year's 13-3 team should have been considered rebuilding? We were no longer a rebuilding team last year, and we went 12-1 in games when we were ahead at halftime.

So, you mean, this year only? Is that what you're looking at with the 0-1?  Let's be honest, that stat has zero importance, both since it's as small a non-zero sample size of NFL games as you can get, and because the whole stat doesn't matter much.

What matters is what the score is after 4 quarters. Wins, that's what matters. Whether you were behind or ahead at halftime has virtually zero importance. Last year the Bills went 13-3. That's three more wins than the Rams had? Are we supposed to feel that somehow those 13 wins just weren't really important, that they didn't mean much because they were ahead at halftime?

Doesn't make any sense.

And you know what else doesn't make sense? Pretending that it's possible to isolate coaching as the cause of that stat. It's just as reasonable to point to McVay's record when losing or tied at halftime, which . Does that mean his teams suck at comebacks? No. It means you're more likely to win when ahead by halftime, especially as sometimes you'll be ahead by a lot, and that equally you're more likely to lose when behind.

So, which group is more important, the 6-19 or the 38-0? Neither. What's important is the 44-21, which is really impressive, but is greatly helped by him not inheriting a team that was rebuilding.

Edited by Thurman#1

One of my beefs is not just the lack of balance, but that we always had an empty backfield

Maybe I am missing something, but it is the equivalent of Josh Allen going to the line of scrimmage and yelling "Defense, don't worry about the run. We are passing"

It lets the defensive line tee off and the DB's back off

• Agree 1

Never once posted Daboll must stay. He was a weak hire with an inconsistent coaching career at the time. But he is a coordinator do its hard to judge with the talent he has or the competition he is facing. 

A vanilla modern gameplan of 3 WR 1TE 1RB set wins that game. I care a little about the run pass ratio but I care much more about the positon group frequency breakdown. He telegraphed pass to the defense in a game the Bills were winning for 2/3rds or it. That is not smart and not winning football strategy. 

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, 716er said:

Rewatched the flea flicker again this morning and Gabe Davis is wide open for a screen that would have went 20-30 yards easy.

I wonder if Daboll keeps that play in his back pocket with a different outcome next time. Sell the flea flicker, fake deep, and hit the WR underneath at the LOS.

I personally hate flea flickers.  I'd prefer just a standard play action.  Try some more boot action to get allen out of the collapsing pocket.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, jwhit34 said:

Surprising? No. The two easiest things to blame for a loss when the offense had a bad day are (1) play calling and (2) the lack of adjustments. 

Now almost 24 after the game ended, let's look at both of these by looking at each drive:

1st drive, 3 passes, 0 runs. First down is a completion for 7 at PIT 17, then -2 to Diggs and tipped pass incomplete. FG

My take: A spectacular KO return, let's strike fast. First play is good, 2nd one didn't work out have to pass on 3rd. Play calling okay.

Drive 2: 10 plays, first play run, total of 3 runs, 7 passes plus 2 passes called on the penalties. Punt.

My take: This is the drive where Allen misses the deep ball to Sanders, right play, he's open, poor execution, no issue with play calls. Overcame 2 holding penalties too. 

Drive 3: 3 and out. Pass, Allen run, pass on flea flicker. Punt

My take: Only issue here is on 3rd and 1 at own 46 if you're going to run a trick play be willing to go for it on 4th and 1, but that's on McDermott, not Daboll.

Drive 4: Run on first, made 2 first downs, passes on other 2 first downs, total 2 runs and 5 passes, punt. 

My take: They got two first downs, then gained 7 on first and 10, got it to PIT 43, 2 incompletes and decide not to go for it on 4th. Could have run it but short passing game was clicking on the drive (completed first 3 passes on the drive). I would have liked to have them go for it on 4th but again that's a McDermott call. 

Drive 5: Lost fumble, nothing to say here.

Drive 6: Scored TD, all good. 

2nd half possessions:

Drive 1: 12 plays, 8 passes, 4 runs, passed on 1st down 4 times. got to PIT 35, turn over on downs.

My take: 53 yard FG on 4th & 8 is probably right on line for Bass into the wind so no problem going for it. Got 3 first downs on drive so no issue with play calls there, they got first downs. Did they adjust? Last set of downs was pass, run, pass, pass. In the moment, was anyone disturbed by the 4 plays called? Maybe going deep to Davis on 4th but I don't know if he was the primary target.

Drive 2: 8 plays, 5 pass, 3 run, passes on first down all 3 times, got to PIT 41, turn over on downs

My take: So the "adjustments" up until the 4th and 1 and back pass to Breida seem to work. They pick up 2 first downs and it looks like Breida is going to get the first on 3rd & 3 and Minkah makes a good play. We all hate the 4th down play.

Drive 3: Now behind by 3, 3 and out. Not a good series, then the blocked punt. Not much to say here. Allen got sacked, so that's poor execution.

Drive 4: Down 10, in pass mode but mix in the long Singletary runs. 3 passes, 5 runs, FG.

My take: PIT is playing 100% for pass so runs are available, disappointing that they get to 10 and don't get 7. They gained 67 yards on drive. 

Drive 5: All 9 plays passes down 10. Kick FG. Decided to kick FG on 1st down, they moved ball in garbage time. No issue with play calling.

So they ran 69 plays, 51 passes, 3 sacks, 25 runs. Looking at the above there may be 5 plays you can question the play calling, and I would say in the grand scheme of things probably less than that. No one calls a perfect game. Did they "adjust"? After 3 of first 5 series going 3 and out, only had one 3 and out in 2nd half. They also had 4 of 5 drives in the 2nd half where they got into PIT territory. Throw in the last drive of 1st half where they scored a TD and it's 5 of 6 and they scored on 3 of them. 

If you objectively look at every possession I don't think there's a lot there in terms of play calling. Execution is more of the issue. And even if there was, it's only 1 game.

That looks like it took a lot of effort to put together and it is much appreciated.   

It’s clear that most of the issue of “bad play calling” comes from how things feel in the moment.   The best example I have is

drive 4 down to the 10 yard line and down 10 - not one play even sniffs of making it to the end zone.    The only pass called was short of the end zone and if I recall correctly it was behind the LOS….Way too often on those 3rd and short or 4th downs are the plays called where the throws are at or behind LOS….I hate those plays and have since I played WAY back in the day.   I never wanted to hear a play called that wasn’t at least to the sticks in those moments.   

Basically it’s an opinion and read on the ebb and flow of the game…   Some plays called just have less of a shot of capitalizing in some situations or maybe just feel that way.   

Hope next Monday is more fun than today.   

Go Bills

11 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Really? You figure that last year's 13-3 team should have been considered rebuilding? We were no longer a rebuilding team last year, and we went 12-1 in games when we were ahead at halftime.

So, you mean, this year only? Is that what you're looking at with the 0-1?  Let's be honest, that stat has zero importance, both since it's as small a non-zero sample size of NFL games as you can get, and because the whole stat doesn't matter much.

What matters is what the score is after 4 quarters. Wins, that's what matters. Whether you were behind or ahead at halftime has virtually zero importance. Last year the Bills went 13-3. That's three more wins than the Rams had? Are we supposed to feel that somehow those 13 wins just weren't really important, that they didn't mean much because they were ahead at halftime?

Nonsense.

And you know what else is nonsense? Pretending that it's possible to isolate coaching as the cause of that stat. It's just as reasonable to point to McVay's record when losing or tied at halftime, which is 8-19. Does that mean his teams suck at comebacks? No. It means you're more likely to win when ahead by halftime, especially as sometimes you'll be ahead by a lot, and that equally you're more likely to lose when behind.

So, which group is more important, the 8-19 or the 38-0? Neither. What's important is the 46-19, which is really impressive, but is greatly helped by him not inheriting a team that was rebuilding.

The Rams have less talent than we do, they also had a worse QB than we did. So the leading at the half statistic is an important gauge of how well a coach held onto the game with minimal talent. McDermott should have a better halftime record than he does with the talent he has. That’s my only point. I feel like this coaching staff isnt getting the most out of Allen. 

I feel Allen would make the Rams an instant super bowl favorites under McVay. If people don’t believe that, then why did we pay Allen top money? 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

40 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Part of that 6-21 is not having a competent QB. Stafford will help that statistic. 
Allen on the Rams is an instant Super Bowl favorite. 

And while Goff has his problems, arguing that he's not competent is absolutely ridiculous.

Allen on the Rams is maybe a Super Bowl top two or three team. So are Allen on the Bills this year.

Hot take: Since the closing of the BBMB this place has become way more fickle. Daboll isn’t perfect, the hype around him last year was way too high. Him and Josh have their issues and sometimes they are the same thing at the same time. The 4th down play against Houston comes to mind. Why even call a play with Dimarco down the seem, and WTF did Josh throw it into double coverage.l?

Daboll deserves some criticism. Hes gotten criticized for the same things year after year. Last year is the blip. He’s not terrible, but he’s not a stud either. He has done a decent job of developing our QB. 

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

And while Goff has his problems, arguing that he's not competent is absolutely ridiculous.

Allen on the Rams is maybe a Super Bowl top two or three team. So are Allen on the Bills this year.

I don’t agree. I think coaching is the difference. Allen has a much higher chance at a super bowl under McVay than under McDermott. Just my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Back to blaming the OC every time the offense (and QB) play poorly... 💩 

Predictable. 

Look what McVay does with Stafford. I believe Allen is better than Stafford. Allen hasn’t reached his ceiling yet, but I feel like his OC is handicapping him with bad plays. A good OC maximizes opportunities. Allen threw 51 times for less than 300 yards. That’s stupid bad. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1