Can someone explain to me why Gabe Davis does not have equal snap count to Diggs?

Ramza86

22 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I think they need to figure out who does what best.  Sanders imo is best under 15 yards.  Similar to Beasley.  Use Diggs or Davis to attack down field.  Sanders will do well when teams play man.  I feel like Sanders and Allen were a bit off due to the limited time together.  I think Davis needs to be on the field more.  Rotate the wrs more.  Keep them fresh.  Why dress 6 if you dont really rotate any of them?  

Strongly disagree about your conclusion about Sanders. They threw long to him all game, and he was really open. He's a guy who can get open short or deep. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6QtSjNwEQ

Look at 1:07 and 2:01

Love the 2nd one where he destroys his guy with a route and then throws the safety away, subtly enough to not get caught at it.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 3

On 9/14/2021 at 1:44 PM, Locomark said:

I agree that Sanders was not in sync yet with this offense. On the bomb he is open but also not fast enough to the ball. That’s a TD if it was Brown or even Gabe. 

There's no reason to think Gabe is faster than Sanders. They certainly weren't based on their 40s, and yeah, Sanders may have slowed up, but not a lot, and there was a major difference. Gabe is good, but he's no burner.

i think were going to need all of them  Sanders is going to be pay dividends  Steph take a lot of hits and Sanders is inusrance for down time  Gabe is great   I'm hopefull wee see Know finally turn the corner    Offense is missing the big mismatch type target     Important Josh trusts them all

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

There's no reason to think Gabe is faster than Sanders. They certainly weren't based on their 40s, and yeah, Sanders may have slowed up, but not a lot, and there was a major difference. Gabe is good, but he's no burner.

Gabe is not a burner but neither was James Lofton. It’s all about those long strides. It’s deceiving how much ground they cover on deep passes. Big difference versus a smurf with short arms. I think Gabe had a shot on that catch. 

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Strongly disagree about your conclusion about Sanders. They threw long to him all game, and he was really open. He's a guy who can get open short or deep. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6QtSjNwEQ

Look at 1:07 and 2:01

Love the 2nd one where he destroys his guy with a route and then throws the safety away, subtly enough to not get caught at it.

Agreed. This is the weirdest, most irrational takeaway from Game 1. Before last season we would have all been decrying how Allen just plain missed a wide open Sanders. You know what? On Sunday Allen just plain missed a wide open Sanders. Doesn't mean bad old Josh is back. But it certainly doesn't mean Sanders was a flop.

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Agreed. This is the weirdest, most irrational takeaway from Game 1. Before last season we would have all been decrying how Allen just plain missed a wide open Sanders. You know what? On Sunday Allen just plain missed a wide open Sanders. Doesn't mean bad old Josh is back. But it certainly doesn't mean Sanders was a flop.

Give me Davis down the field.  I think the speed difference is negligible.  I like Davis’ size, body control and ball tracking ability.  Catching a deep ball is a talent.  Sanders has never been a deep threat.  

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

3rd week in a row his snap % has decreased.  Played two more plays yesterday but overall, not out there as much.

Is he still injured or are we just preferring a 3 WR set?  Knox is playing a lot.

He's the 4th WR. They are better in 3 WR sets and committed to running the ball more. Sanders is great and can get open all over the field. And of course the top 3 are all healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/16/2021 at 2:28 AM, Locomark said:

Gabe is not a burner but neither was James Lofton. It’s all about those long strides. It’s deceiving how much ground they cover on deep passes. Big difference versus a smurf with short arms. I think Gabe had a shot on that catch. 

James Lofton was absolutely a burner.

Here's a story about the Buffalo News in 1991, back when even going 4.4 was not that common.

"So far, according to Lofton, his last big physical change came four years ago when, as a member of the Raiders, his 40-yard dash time dipped from 4.3 to 4.4 seconds."

https://buffalonews.com/news/lofton-wont-put-timetable-on-his-nfl-career-wide-receiver-wonders-if-he-might-be/article_ed94d084-26da-5527-8ba1-cd1b656a245d.html

Lofton's speed was his biggest weapon.

Edited by Thurman#1

On 9/16/2021 at 6:22 AM, Mat68 said:

Give me Davis down the field.  I think the speed difference is negligible.  I like Davis’ size, body control and ball tracking ability.  Catching a deep ball is a talent.  Sanders has never been a deep threat.  

On the contrary, Sanders has been a deep threat his whole career. He's not the usual style of deep threat in terms of being a pure speed burner, a Henry Ruggs type. He's always been fast, but he earns his deep balls a bit differently, with great route running, so that they don't know he's going deep till he's already past them. Go to pro-football-reference and look at his longest pass each year. From 2013 onwards, it's 55 yards, 48, 75, 64, 38, 64, 75, 51 and 41 this year.

He's always been a deep threat. It's just that he's also a short threat and a medium threat.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

3rd week in a row his snap % has decreased.  Played two more plays yesterday but overall, not out there as much.

Is he still injured or are we just preferring a 3 WR set?  Knox is playing a lot.

He is still injured.  They are probably just playing it safe with him.  Obviously wasn't a big need the last two weeks.

5 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He is still injured.  They are probably just playing it safe with him.  Obviously wasn't a big need the last two weeks.

He's a great insurance policy for injury. I'm hoping this week's utter destruction through 3 other weapons will start to cause defenses to adjust away from Diggs.

Maybe with the Week 1 turd in their past they'll return to a higher dose of 4 and 5WR sets. They just seemed to get spooked by the Watt game, and vs HOU may have a chance to dial in some other sets.

• Agree 1