The Steelers game was over with this play.

BillBrasky

32 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Yup, not every D the Bills are going to face is as strong as the Steelers, but now they have a blueprint

The talk about blueprints is way overblown.  There isn't a defensive coordinator in the league who doesn't know that being able to drop 7 into coverage and still dominate with your front four is a recipe for success.  Being able to pull it off is another matter altogether.

This is a classic case of Jimmies and Joes vs Xs and Os.  Yesterday, Pittsburgh executed better.  Josh missed some throws that he has to make against great defenses, and he continued to display horrible ball security.  He's a hell of a player, but teams can absolutely get inside his head.  It happened against Kansas City, and it happened again yesterday.  Josh made some great plays, but he left some on the field as well.

The only genuine concern I would have about the game is that it was at home.  QBs get rattled in the NFL, especially week 1.  That it happened in front of a sympathetic crowd is a little alarming because 70,000 drunks screaming at him would have made things a lot worse.  That said, this is nothing new.  We've all seen him go through this before, and he's always managed to bounce back.  Buffalo is going to win the division by multiple games.  The only thing this loss really hurts is their chances to get the bye.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Billl said:

The talk about blueprints is way overblown.  There isn't a defensive coordinator in the league who doesn't know that being able to drop 7 into coverage and still dominate with your front four is a recipe for success.  Being able to pull it off is another matter altogether.

This is a classic case of Jimmies and Joes vs Xs and Os.  Yesterday, Pittsburgh executed better.  Josh missed some throws that he has to make against great defenses, and he continued to display horrible ball security.  He's a hell of a player, but teams can absolutely get inside his head.  It happened against Kansas City, and it happened again yesterday.  Josh made some great plays, but he left some on the field as well.

The only genuine concern I would have about the game is that it was at home.  QBs get rattled in the NFL, especially week 1.  That it happened in front of a sympathetic crowd is a little alarming because 70,000 drunks screaming at him would have made things a lot worse.  That said, this is nothing new.  We've all seen him go through this before, and he's always managed to bounce back.  Buffalo is going to win the division by multiple games.  The only thing this loss really hurts is their chances to get the bye.

We play in a division with multiple solid Ds.  The Bills that showed up yesterday aren't sweeping the division. 

I'm not going to engage in excuse making for this team.  They got beat by a better team yesterday, who were better prepared, and had better execution.  Whatever halftime adjustments the coaching staff made made the team worse, not better.  My fervent hope is that we're not doing excuse making next Monday 'it was hot out' or 'the refs jobbed us' are loser excuses

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

It is early to reach for this. If by week 4 Josh still looks like he did yesterday let's have that conversation. For now, let's say everyone is allowed a bad day. 

Agreed.  I'll keep my hot take of Bills QBs on their second contracts to myself for a few more weeks

20 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Good point, both Buffalo and Green Bay appear to be overrated

It's one game. Let me repeat...it's ONE game!

Take a breath and  move on.

I should compile a list of all the "fire Daboll, fire McDermott, Buffalo is overrated, etc" people and when the Bills are on their way to the playoffs yet again for the 4th time in 5 years I can rub it in their faces. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

1 hour ago, BillBrasky said:

Fourth quarter, 20-10 Steelers, 3rd and goal for the Bills.

Allen makes a rookie mistake and quickly locks onto the receiver in the right flat. The Steelers defense watches his eyes and shifts to cover. Allen makes a second mistake and throws to the line of scrimmage with two Steelers defenders between the receiver and the goal line. The Bills fails to score and settle for a field goal.

The best play was actually on the other side. The receivers run a crossing route, the Steelers defenders blow the coverage and leave a wide open receiver heading to the corner of the end zone.

bills.thumb.jpeg.31aec0c7c1ebc1332c274b57c7dfca05.jpeg

I thought we handed them this game with that stupid 4 & 1 call near mid field,  end of the day this team needs an upgrade at RB before they can compete with the big boys.  Singletary is not the answer,  we need an explosive back who can make plays both running and catching out of the backfield.  He had 3 catches for 8 yards and also had two fumbles. I cannot understand why Beane after the KC indicated that RB position was not good enough,  they do next to nothing.  

When i look the positions that needed help from last season i start with the non WR positions like RB & TE

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I'm should compile a list of all the "fire Daboll, fire McDermott, Buffalo is overrated, etc" people and when the Bills are on their way to the playoffs yet again for the 4th time in 5 years I can rub it in their faces. 

You'll have to show where I said fire anyone.  Playoffs would be nice, but everyone expected more this year. 

58 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Jim Kelly threw up before every game.

So does Lionel Messi, London Fletcher, Justin Tuck etc....

Matt Pinsent threw up at the starting line of every Olympic Final. He won gold medals at the 92, 96, 00, and 04 games. 

Anxiety can be really great or really terrible. Some people figure it out and others don't. I don't think the fan base should get all worried about it, but the erraticism from Josh is somewhat concerning at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.  Allen played like he did in his rookie season.  Flashes of brilliance, and a lot of head scratchers. 

Annoyed is a great word.  I'm still annoyed.   

McDermott always says something like "we have to get better, and that starts with me."  I'm sure he said it yesterday, but I haven't listened.  And it's true.  My sense was that there were a lot of players out there unprepared to play.  

Been breathing their own exhaust fumes too much.  All the hype about the Bills being the team to beat.

Maybe the best thing for them to get taken down a notch.  If we're 3-1 by the KC game, we're in good shape.  And if we're not, we're not going to make the playoffs so it doesn't matter anyway.

Bills need to get the chip back on their shoulder

Edited by Dan Darragh

1 hour ago, BillBrasky said:

Fourth quarter, 20-10 Steelers, 3rd and goal for the Bills.

Allen makes a rookie mistake and quickly locks onto the receiver in the right flat. The Steelers defense watches his eyes and shifts to cover. Allen makes a second mistake and throws to the line of scrimmage with two Steelers defenders between the receiver and the goal line. The Bills fails to score and settle for a field goal.

The best play was actually on the other side. The receivers run a crossing route, the Steelers defenders blow the coverage and leave a wide open receiver heading to the corner of the end zone.

bills.thumb.jpeg.31aec0c7c1ebc1332c274b57c7dfca05.jpeg

Again, I feel like it's a continuation of what I was saying all last season but why doesn't this team run the ball? When Singletary ran he was gaining good chunks of yards I truly don't understand the refusal to run the ball in crucial moments no less especially being up by 10 points in a dog fight with a top notch defense running the ball could have eaten up alot of clock imo.

3 minutes ago, Dan Darragh said:

Been breathing their own exhaust fumes too much.  All the hype about the Bills being the team to beat.

Maybe the best thing for them to get taken down a notch.  If we're 3-1 by the KC game, we're in good shape.  And if we're not, we're not going to make the playoffs so it doesn't matter anyway.

We could well still make the playoffs but will end the same way.  They're going to have to figure out how to play against a good front 4, because that's what they're going to see in the playoffs.  Maybe going to have to invest a high pick on the OL too?

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Again, I feel like it's a continuation of what I was saying all last season but why doesn't this team run the ball? When Singletary ran he was gaining good chunks of yards I truly don't understand the refusal to run the ball in crucial moments no less especially being up by 10 points in a dog fight with a top notch defense running the ball could have eaten up alot of clock imo.

Because they're addicted to chunk plays and they dont trust the OL in run blocking.  That, and no D coordinator is losing sleep over stopping Singletary

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

We could well still make the playoffs but will end the same way.  They're going to have to figure out how to play against a good front 4, because that's what they're going to see in the playoffs.  Maybe going to have to invest a high pick on the OL too?

Because they're addicted to chunk plays and they dont trust the OL in run blocking.  That, and no D coordinator is losing sleep over stopping Singletary

I don't believe at all that they don't trust the OL in run blocking, they re-signed all those guys in the offseason, It's a Daboll thing imo I just don't know why.

31 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

I should compile a list of all the "fire Daboll, fire McDermott, Buffalo is overrated, etc" people and when the Bills are on their way to the playoffs yet again for the 4th time in 5 years I can rub it in their faces. 

The problem with football is unlike other sports there is no game the next night to get back on track for an entire week you have to hear it from every doomsayer on the planet…simple fact the entire offense had a bad game…they never adjusted to what the Steelers where doing and never ran the damn ball despite the Steelers begging them to do so 

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If the Bills didn’t pay him someone else definitely would probably the Saints since they just made a cast off like Winston look like a pro bowler 

The difference is coaching/play calling. Payton is a good coach. I’m truly beginning to wonder if it’s Allen/WRs/or just coaches. It seems like it’s coaching at this point. Talent is there. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

3 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

The problem with football is unlike other sports there is no game the next night to get back on track for an entire week you have to hear it from every doomsayer on the planet…simple fact the entire offense had a bad game…they never adjusted to what the Steelers where doing and never ran the damn ball despite the Steelers begging them to do so 

THIS!  Daboll was absolutely horrible yesterday. Can someone PLEASE hire him away from WNY?  Please!

against the best, you have to score TD's when given a gift- first series was just that...

if you go for it on 4th and one with a 6'5" 245 QB... don't get cute.....

don't take 11 minutes to punt a ball on your own 5..... 

I mean, correct those thee items and you win the game.