In-Roster Offensive Line Option

SCBills

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This game looked exactly like the 2 Chiefs games last year.  

If we made any changes to the starting OL, i'd be willing to say it's one week, but it's not.... it's a continuation of the same issues we saw these starting 4 plus Boettger or Ford have last year against a good team with a dominant DL.

See the rest of the edited post above, please. Should have included that initially. 

58 minutes ago, SCBills said:

When Brown was drafted, there was speculation by some of the Bills podcast guys of Williams kicking inside if Brown could take over RT. 

Let’s see how they look over the next few games, but I’m hoping we have the solution to a dominant OL in house right now. 

I wouldn't overreact to the OL play, I'll chalk this up to first game against one of the best defenses if not the best in the league and hopefully they improve their play when we meet them again in the playoffs. It easier saying we can put Williams in at G and add a rookie at RT and having it work out then it probably would.

22 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m pretty sure is was one game. Will the next 16 be any better? Hard to say, but I sure hope so!  Hard to be overly optimistic with the same cast of characters. First they overhauled WR room, then DL. I think next offseason will be all about the OL. 

Hopefully with CB2 also.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No we don't. This starting 5 never played a single snap together last year

C'mon.... Dawkins - Morse - Feliciano - Williams are the mainstays.  You're squabbling over Ford getting injured and then Boettger taking over.  

We know what this OL is.  One really good tackle (when healthy), another typically above average tackle, an ok Center and poor guard play.  We all knew the weak spot heading into the offseason, it wasn't addressed, and we saw it exposed in Week One. 

Edited by SCBills

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I need to watch it again but my initial instinct was that Feliciano was the worst player on the line yesterday. I thought he had a horrible game. The Williams inside and Brown to RT suggestion is worth considering... but I wouldn't go to that yet. Maybe if come the bye we are still really struggling then I'd go that way. 

I thought the worst guy on the line yesterday was Dawkins.  When you re-watch, be sure to consider whether some Feliciano problems are actually Dawkins problems or Morse problems.  I’m not saying they are, but that’s a thing that often gets missed.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought the worst guy on the line yesterday was Dawkins.  When you re-watch, be sure to consider whether some Feliciano problems are actually Dawkins problems or Morse problems.  I’m not saying they are, but that’s a thing that often gets missed.

Yea Dion was awful too. He isn't back to his playing weight and I think it showed. Feliciano was definitely bad though. Will definitely be even more focussed in on the line in my rewatch.

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

I don't think the OP is overreacting to one game.  I think there are several suggestions, including the OPs.  Others include running the ball more, we appear to be better at run blocking, and it's easier to block when the D does not know what you're doing.  It does appear we will need to fix the OL with in-roster moves.  Our rookies luckily look like they can play, so lets get the best 5 lineman out there.  

It appears that Cody Ford got job over Ike Boettger because he is a better run blocker.

Bills ought to consider putting in Spencer Brown as extra tackle to help with blocking.

It would give less targets but when defense line is strong better to keep extra lineman than put in another target.

Edited by Limeaid
put in wrong name

15 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It appears that Ryan Bates got job over Ike Boettger because he is a better run blocker.

Bills ought to consider putting in Spencer Brown as extra tackle to help with blocking.

It would give less targets but when defense line is strong better to keep extra lineman than put in another target.

Just a point that an extra tackle, or even extra blockers, don’t necessarily solve the problems we were having yesterday.

There were either scheme issues (where the protections were no longer appropriate for late shifts in the line just before the snap), or we just had 2 guys getting beat - when they rush 3 and get home, that means 2 of 3 guys are getting doubled, and we were still losing.  And there was at least one play where Singletary was in to block, and standing there going “who I’m supposed to block?” while Ingram was whizzing by on his left, having beaten Dawkins.

We need to take blocking seriously and that means Moss > Singletary > Breida.

I have no idea what you mean by “Ryan Bates got the job over Ike Boettger”; Bates is our backup center and IOL.

2 hours ago, TOboy said:

I thought you weren’t going to overreact to one game? 

This is not a “one game” overreaction. The interior oline was bad last year

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

When Brown was drafted, there was speculation by some of the Bills podcast guys of Williams kicking inside if Brown could take over RT. 

Let’s see how they look over the next few games, but I’m hoping we have the solution to a dominant OL in house right now. 

Will they take the “don’t open til injury” tag off of Bates? 

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

With all of his penalties, Dawkins clearly wasn't ready to play yesterday, Bobby Hart couldn't have been worse.

Feliciano wasn't much better.

I didn't notice Morse, Ford or Williams much but that could just be that the left side of the line was so abysmal.

Morse had a crucial holding penalty. He wasn’t much better

Hope it's a case of Pittsburgh reincarnating a 2021 version of the '70's Steel Curtain 'D' line than the Bills 'O' line is simply overwhelmed by a four man push, as they showed yesterday.

A return to the pre 2020 "run Josh run" offense won't fly this season.

Edited by I am the egg man

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Move Williams inside to Guard, Brown at RT. 

Maybe bench Morse and put Feliciano at C.  

Only two options we really have. 

Have Bates play center. Try the rookie inside. Most teams play their potential tackles inside before moving them to the outside. Or move Dawkins inside until he gets his conditioning back and let Brown play his spot

31 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

It appears that Ryan Bates got job over Ike Boettger because he is a better run blocker.

You should watch the job Brown did as the extra LT on the 4th down shovel pass.

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

Not going to overreact to one game.  

We all know the IOL is the weak spot in pass pro, so I’ll chalk up Williams/Dawkins struggles on Sunday to a one off.   Dawkins especially, as he’s coming off Covid and never looks that bad. 

That being said, watching that game was infuriating to those of us who were begging to upgrade the Guard positions.  

Anyone think we could move Daryl Williams inside to one of the Guard positions if/when Brown is ready to take over RT?  

Leaves us with Doyle as swing and Ford/Williams/Bates able to flip back out to Tackle if needed, but im just at a loss for what we saw from our starting OL against a 4 man rush most of the game.  

No.  If Brown is ready, I would rather him move inside, anything to get Feliciano off the field as an OG.  

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

No.  If Brown is ready, I would rather him move inside, anything to get Feliciano off the field as an OG.  

I can't believe we re-signed him as a starter.  If they want him as a versatile backup G/C, fine... but get this dude off the field.  

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, SCBills said:

I can't believe we re-signed him as a starter.  If they want him as a backup G/C, fine... but get this dude off the field.  

I was initially fine with the re-sign as I thought it was to Kick him into Center, and move on from Morse, but to watch him get abused all season as a OG again is going to make me go Nuts.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

It's not one game though, and we have the same OL as last year. 

Every season is a new season and should be treated as such.......if people are going to cry about the offensive line as last year then they should also give the same cred to the team that made it to the AFC Championship (and had a runner up NFL MVP on the roster)

People are picking and choosing.......to fit their own agenda right now