Mark Hamister: ex-Buffalo Destroyers owner, local developer, passed away.

PromoTheRobot

From COVID. Unvaccinated. 2 days from positive test to :death:  Mark also tried to buy the Sabres after the Rigas debacle but was deemed to not have sufficient assets by the NHL. Tom Golisano would eventually succeed. He was 69. The Destroyers were Buffalo's one-season entry into the Arena Football league. I think they won one game then moved to Columbus.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/mark-hamister-died-unvaccinated-from-covid-19-his-children-hope-his-story-changes-minds/article_997c9082-1178-11ec-8403-f79ba9bac774.html

• Shocked 1

10 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I had completely forgotten about the Buffalo Destroyers...also didn't realize they only lasted a year.  I would've guessed they were around for at least a couple.  

1 minute ago, May Day 10 said:

They were in Buffalo for like 3-5 years I think

Yup, you're right. Left in 2003.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbus_Destroyers

• Like (+1) 1

Yeah, they started off winning like 1 of their 1st 20 games or something, which essentially doomed the franchise here.  

I ended up with free tickets one time and attended a game with 3 of my buddies, we were around 22-24ish.  So we didnt know the rules or format of the sport, but we were having a blast getting into the game and cheering/yelling for plays we thought would be good... booing at the right moments.  People around us were getting into it a bit too.

Low and behold in the 2nd quarter, our usher told us to be quiet and stay in our seats.  We left in the 3rd quarter and never came back.  

On 9/13/2021 at 8:33 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

From COVID. Unvaccinated. 2 days from positive test to :death:  Mark also tried to buy the Sabres after the Rigas debacle but was deemed to not have sufficient assets by the NHL. Tom Golisano would eventually succeed. He was 69. The Destroyers were Buffalo's one-season entry into the Arena Football league. I think they won one game then moved to Columbus.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/mark-hamister-died-unvaccinated-from-covid-19-his-children-hope-his-story-changes-minds/article_997c9082-1178-11ec-8403-f79ba9bac774.html

They lasted like 4-5 years

On 9/13/2021 at 9:33 AM, May Day 10 said:

They were in Buffalo for like 3-5 years I think

Yea 4-5 years

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.