My Opinion why we lost vs pittsburgh

steven50

Just now, SoCal Deek said:

The offensive scheme is garbage. I’m praying that we won’t see that sort of empty backfield look week in and week out. Hey Daboll, there’s a reason why you don’t see that in the NFL…it’s because it doesn’t work!! 

I think it can work against the right personnel, but repeatedly against a good cover defense and front seven isn’t a good time to do it. To beat pressure you go screens and designed rollouts. Nothing like that was done. Watching the McVay offensive play calling is a thing of beauty. I feel so happy for Stafford, he deserves it. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I think it can work against the right personnel, but repeatedly against a good cover defense and front seven isn’t a good time to do it. To beat pressure you go screens and designed rollouts. Nothing like that was done. Watching the McVay offensive play calling is a thing of beauty. I feel so happy for Stafford, he deserves it. 

I couldn’t agree more…but Daboll never adjusted. Four quarters of the same garbage that wasn’t working from the opening drive. The one thing that did work was the short stuff to Beasley. If you’re going to stick with formations then also stick with the play that’s working out of it. I’d have thrown it to Cole forty times until they stopped it. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I couldn’t agree more…but Daboll never adjusted. Four quarters of the same garbage that wasn’t working from the opening drive. The one thing that did work was the short stuff to Beasley. If you’re going to stick with formations then also stick with the play that’s working out of it. I’d have thrown it to Cole forty times until they stopped it. 

Daboll is the most hyped up OC ever. While he isn’t Hackett bad, he generally sucks. Watching McVay and Shanahan run an offense is a thing of beauty. It sucks we can’t have that. Imagine Allen with McVay, just amazing to think about. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Daboll is the most hyped up OC ever. While he isn’t Hackett bad, he generally sucks. Watching McVay and Shanahan run an offense is a thing of beauty. It sucks we can’t have that. Imagine Allen with McVay, just amazing to think about. 

I agree. I thought the color announcer was an idiot but the one thing he got right was that Daboll’s offense seems to be based on just lining everyone up at the line of scrimmage and ‘hoping’ someone beats their guy. That’s not coaching! That’s the kind of offense you’d have run when your playing touch football in the street as a kid!  “Go out to the red car and turn around!” 😖

• Agree 3

20 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

I would say preseason would have given both offenses more rhythm.  Pittsburgh picked it up the second half, we did not.

I think this is a lack of adjustment thing.  They were getting pressure with 4 and we had 3 holdings on one drive.  Continuous empty backfields, no tight end in tight to chip if needed. The LBs cold just fill their zones and sit and wait.  Allen had to then wait on pattern development allowing even more pressure to get to him.  

I mentioned in another post that the D line rotation may not allow players to get into a groove and feel for the game.  Individual players seeing their own needed adjustments do not materialize because they are not in long enough to see the need or make a change.  Play your best Players more. Substitute one, max two per series but don't blow up the line and and make hockey line changes replacing everyone.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I agree. I thought the color announcer was an idiot but the one thing he got right was that Daboll’s offense seems to be based on just lining everyone up at the line of scrimmage and ‘hoping’ someone beats their guy. That’s not coaching! That’s the kind of offense you’d have run when your playing touch football in the street as a kid!  “Go out to the red car and turn around!” 😖

Everyone gives Daboll credit for Allen’s rise. Allen is rising despite Daboll, and I’d argue Allen is being held back by Daboll. Everyone here says we have top 5 WRs core, Allen is a top 5 QB, and we have a top 10 defense. So why do we keep losing against tough opponents? By rights we should be spanking these teams. How is it that Shanahan gets more with less compared to our roster? 

36 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

The reason we lost, simply put is the offense didn't execute. The offensive game plan was garbage. The playcalling was terrible. The punt block. Lots to work on this week. 

this is it.  everything was just off.  i don't think this will be a habit, and maybe it's a good thing to get out of the way early.  

Dabol has clearly not figured out how to use a run game to compliment his pass offense, to the point of being inept, people say Josh has to take what the D is giving him, but more so Dabol needs to capitalize on the same, in the Steelers game, they were giving us the run and TE options to prevent our WR pass game from beating them, and Dabol didn’t recognize it, this has become a constant failing on Dabs behalf, 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Everyone gives Daboll credit for Allen’s rise. Allen is rising despite Daboll, and I’d argue Allen is being held back by Daboll. Everyone here says we have top 5 WRs core, Allen is a top 5 QB, and we have a top 10 defense. So why do we keep losing against tough opponents? By rights we should be spanking these teams. How is it that Shanahan gets more with less compared to our roster? 

Because they have dominant guys on their D line and our O line struggles against them.  Beane got new D linemen last year, look for O line hogs next draft.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, teef said:

this is it.  everything was just off.  i don't think this will be a habit, and maybe it's a good thing to get out of the way early.  

But it just seems deeper. This is the same issues we have against teams like KC and Tennessee. People say we have top 5 talent. If that is true, then we should be able to win these games. Mahomes has Hill and Kelce, that’s it. Allen has Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, and Davis. I’m tired of underperforming. It’s either the coaching or our talent isn’t as good as people think it is. It’s time to start discussing it, because KC is going to be around for years. 

3 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Because they have dominant guys on their D line and our O line struggles against them.  Beane got new D linemen last year, look for O line hogs next draft.

Like I said earlier. I’m willing to give this team a free pass again this year. But clearly more needs to be done. We have top talent already, so it’s showtime. If we truly revamp the Oline next year and still struggle, it’s time to do some hard inspection. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

5 hours ago, steven50 said:

I haven't looked through every thread on the subject so apologies if it was already said. I dont post a lot on the board but wanted to add my thoughts to the game 1 vs Pittsburgh.

I was worried about this game for one reason and I think my worries were justified after watching the game.  The offense didn't look like last years offense. Granted Pittsburgh has arguably one of, if not the best d line in the NFL but just watching on TV it seemed as if a couple of times things were open underneath but Josh decided to to go for the home run instead of taking what the D was giving. The film will come out later and tell me if I am right or wrong.

I am saying all this to say I think it was a mistake to keep a lot of the starters on the bench for the bulk of the preseason.

Even during the Superbowl years of the 90's Kelly and company always played a couple series in the preseason games I think it was a huge mistake not to get them in more in the preseason. We looked lost (and rusty) a couple of times on O  out there today.

Josh and the O had one great season playing together, that doesn't warrant getting to sit all preseason except for the one or two series they played in the last preseason game. They should have played more. Josh looked indecisive and nervous. More playing time in the preseason might have taken care of that.

Just my 2 cents.

I don’t buy the preseason excuse at all.  There was no preseason last year and the offense was better than the previous year.  

3 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

But it just seems deeper. This is the same issues we have against teams like KC and Tennessee. People say we have top 5 talent. If that is true, then we should be able to win these games. Mahomes has Hill and Kelce, that’s it. Allen has Diggs, Beasley, Sanders, and Davis. I’m tired of underperforming. It’s either the coaching or our talent isn’t as good as people think it is. It’s time to start discussing it, because KC is going to be around for years. 

i don't think the bills lost on talent.  they lost on execution.  not every game is going to be perfect, and people need to stop over reaction every time this team doesn't dominate.  if we see a similar performance next week, then i'm more understanding of reaction.

I think we lost in huge part because of the way Brian Dabol called the game. I mean they were constantly running 4 and 5 WR sets. It was the worst game plan that I think he's ever had for a game. They had all offseason to work on the run game and they haven't accomplished a thing. The offensive line couldn't stop a nosebleed yesterday. Also the DL created pretty much zero  pass rush against a brand new OL who had 2 rookies starting.

1 minute ago, teef said:

i don't think the bills lost on talent.  they lost on execution.  not every game is going to be perfect, and people need to stop over reaction every time this team doesn't dominate.  if we see a similar performance next week, then i'm more understanding of reaction.

But it’s only fair to expect domination. Great teams dominate. KC dominates. They beat a really good Cleveland team. They don’t struggle or have bad games much. KC has less overall talent than we do, or at least I believe that to be the case. Games like what happened today against Pittsburgh is unacceptable with the talent we have. It’s one thing to lose a well fought out game, but this game didn’t feel like that. It honestly felt embarrassing especially when we dominated them last year. 

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

But it’s only fair to expect domination. Great teams dominate. KC dominates. They beat a really good Cleveland team. They don’t struggle or have bad games much. KC has less overall talent than we do, or at least I believe that to be the case. Games like what happened today against Pittsburgh is unacceptable with the talent we have. It’s one thing to lose a well fought out game, but this game didn’t feel like that. It honestly felt embarrassing especially when we dominated them last year. 

this game.  not the last few games, not half of the season, but one game.  it may happen again, but the season is a marathon.  wasn't tampa 6-5 at one point last year, (could be very wrong there).  it's just not time for overreaction yet.  

13 minutes ago, teef said:

Times like this I always remeber the Super Bowl era Bills getting an early season loss and saying (can still hear Bruce Smith's voice) "This was our wake up call" and they would reel off a string of W's. Much the same tone last year losing to the Cards. Hopefully losing this one it hope gets them refocused and they realize the off season fluff job they got in the media needs to be earned now.

1 minute ago, teef said:

this game.  not the last few games, not half of the season, but one game.  it may happen again, but the season is a marathon.  wasn't tampa 6-5 at one point last year, (could be very wrong there).  it's just not time for overreaction yet.  

It’s not just 1 game. It happened against Tennessee and KC last year. We underperform when it matters. I still believe we go deep in the playoffs, so while it may seem I’m overreacting, I’m just concerned we aren’t doing enough to build off last year. KC isn’t going to get worse, not with Mahomes at the helm, so the Bills better figure it out. Because yesterday was embarrassing all things considering. 

2 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Times like this I always remeber the Super Bowl era Bills getting an early season loss and saying (can still hear Bruce Smith's voice) "This was our wake up call" and they would reel off a string of W's. Much the same tone last year losing to the Cards. Hopefully losing this one it hope gets them refocused and they realize the off season fluff job they got in the media needs to be earned now.

This is 2021. The league is different and the Bills need to start dominating with the talent we have. If we need better talent, then start drafting better. No more being happy about playoffs or super bowl appearances. Beat KC and win Super Bowls. Tired of not expecting greatness. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s not just 1 game. It happened against Tennessee and KC last year. We underperform when it matters. I still believe we go deep in the playoffs, so while it may seem I’m overreacting, I’m just concerned we aren’t doing enough to build off last year. KC isn’t going to get worse, not with Mahomes at the helm, so the Bills better figure it out. Because yesterday was embarrassing all things considering. 

why do people keep harping on the tenn game?  yes it was a terrible game, but it's not like it was wildly critical for the season.  if you're expecting perfection every game, you're going to be disappointed.  concerning kc...don't worry about them until we play them.  worry about miami.  figure out what went wrong, and move forward.

11 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

this is exactly where i'm at with it.  unless we see this in a string of games, especially towards the end of the year, i'm not worried.

• Agree 1