My Opinion why we lost vs pittsburgh

steven50

1 minute ago, teef said:

why do people keep harping on the tenn game?  yes it was a terrible game, but it's not like it was wildly critical for the season.  if you're expecting perfection every game, you're going to be disappointed.  concerning kc...don't worry about them until we play them.  worry about miami.  figure out what went wrong, and move forward.

I’m not expecting to be perfect, although it would be nice considering other great teams have done so. Great teams find ways to dominate everyone at all times. It just means we aren’t great. We should be though with the talent we have. We should be making teams cry and wiping their distraughted bodies over their pool of tears. Not embarrassed by teams we should be beating. I’m tired of being an embarrassed Bills fan. I want the Bills to be the 85 Bears, absolutely feared. We deserve it. 

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m not expecting to be perfect, although it would be nice considering other great teams have done so. Great teams find ways to dominate everyone at all times. It just means we aren’t great. We should be though with the talent we have. We should be making teams cry and wiping their distraughted bodies over their pool of tears. Not embarrassed by teams we should be beating. I’m tired of being an embarrassed Bills fan. I want the Bills to be the 85 Bears, absolutely feared. We deserve it. 

i'm not so sure about that.  when the pats had their undefeated season, they lost the sb to a team that went 9-7 into the playoffs.  bad games can happen to anyone.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm not so sure about that.  when the pats had their undefeated season, they lost the sb to a team that went 9-7 into the playoffs.  bad games can happen to anyone.  

I suppose. Maybe I wouldn’t feel the way I do today if the Bills would have a super bowl under their belts. We have sucked for so long. It just hurts knowing we have to get through Mahomes to even have a shot after dealing with Brady for years. Just win. If we can’t win, then McDermott better find a way to make it happen. No more being happy just for making the playoffs. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Their defense was consistently great all game.  

Our defense was elite for a half, and meh for a half.  

They forced a fumble for good starting field position.  We received the benefit of a shanked punt. 

End result, both defenses gave up 16 points.  

A blocked punt for a TD was the difference.   That can’t happen in the NFL.  Especially not on a team with such an insistence on special teams personnel focus.  

We all have worries and complaints about the Offense… OL, Allen, playcalling etc.  

End of the day.  A special teams play won the game, and they were more focused, played with more intensity and Tomlin had them ready to play against a team that’s beat them twice in a row.  

We looked like we just expected to win.  

This was my take away as well. I am relatively OK with the insistence on keeping guys for ST. Although I think as the roster gets deeper, better players just create better special teams, so I do hope it sort of goes away at some point. 

But if you are going to do stuff like keep a Taiwan Jones and cut TE depth, you can't afford to be having blocked punts as a staff. Also, from a pure punting standpoint, through preseason, I don't know what we are getting in Haack for $1.5M per. 

• Like (+1) 1

My take is that the offense began to believe the huge volume of "wonderfulness" in the press.  Daboll is so good, Josh is MVP, everything offensively is so awesome.  It simply went to their heads.  I blame Daboll because he should have known better and his play calls were unimaginably bad.  The offense was unprepared and Josh reverted to his 2019 ways. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, PS 56 said:

My take is that the offense began to believe the huge volume of "wonderfulness" in the press.  Daboll is so good, Josh is MVP, everything offensively is so awesome.  It simply went to their heads.  I blame Daboll because he should have known better and his play calls were unimaginably bad.  The offense was unprepared and Josh reverted to his 2019 ways. 

I hope this is a wake up call for the players and coaches that have listened to all the hype about this team going into the season.  With this hard kick of reality in the face I expect to see a team preparing and playing to take no prisoners against the Dolphins next Sunday.

We've been getting all kinds of experts jumping on the bandwagon and picking the Bills for the Super Bowl giving us the impression we should all start making arrangements for travel plans and a day off from work for the Super Bowl victory parade next February.  If you're a long timer Bills fan I'm sure you were just as skeptical and cautious as I was leading up to the game yesterday.   In the end we saw another Bills team that got over-hyped and came out flat.  Something that happens way to often but also something you've come to expect. 

But all the hype and social media out there bombarding them has got to get into the players heads.  its hard to ignore and its got to impact their mental preparation and mindset.  This loss might be a well needed wake up call.  Turn off the phone, cancel your social media accounts, put down the papers and shut off the devices and turn off the web, decline all the optional interviews, say all the right things, and focus on business and step up your game.  That includes the coaches.  The talent is there.  Its time to deliver. 

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, steven50 said:

I haven't looked through every thread on the subject so apologies if it was already said. I dont post a lot on the board but wanted to add my thoughts to the game 1 vs Pittsburgh.

I was worried about this game for one reason and I think my worries were justified after watching the game.  The offense didn't look like last years offense. Granted Pittsburgh has arguably one of, if not the best d line in the NFL but just watching on TV it seemed as if a couple of times things were open underneath but Josh decided to to go for the home run instead of taking what the D was giving. The film will come out later and tell me if I am right or wrong.

I am saying all this to say I think it was a mistake to keep a lot of the starters on the bench for the bulk of the preseason.

Even during the Superbowl years of the 90's Kelly and company always played a couple series in the preseason games I think it was a huge mistake not to get them in more in the preseason. We looked lost (and rusty) a couple of times on O  out there today.

Josh and the O had one great season playing together, that doesn't warrant getting to sit all preseason except for the one or two series they played in the last preseason game. They should have played more. Josh looked indecisive and nervous. More playing time in the preseason might have taken care of that.

Just my 2 cents.

I can summarize in 2 words why we lost:

Josh Allen

• Disagree 1

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

The reason we lost, simply put is the offense didn't execute. The offensive game plan was garbage. The playcalling was terrible. The punt block. Lots to work on this week. 

^this.  It was frustrating watching the later games and seeing less-potent offenses (aka Chicago) keep a talented, aggressive defense from teeing off on the QB by executing screens and swing passes to the RB coming out of the backfield.  Isn't that the primary reason the Bills signed Brieda? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

32 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I hope this is a wake up call for the players and coaches that have listened to all the hype about this team going into the season.  With this hard kick of reality in the face I expect to see a team preparing and playing to take no prisoners against the Dolphins next Sunday.

We've been getting all kinds of experts jumping on the bandwagon and picking the Bills for the Super Bowl giving us the impression we should all start making arrangements for travel plans and a day off from work for the Super Bowl victory parade next February.  If you're a long timer Bills fan I'm sure you were just as skeptical and cautious as I was leading up to the game yesterday.   In the end we saw another Bills team that got over-hyped and came out flat.  Something that happens way to often but also something you've come to expect. 

But all the hype and social media out there bombarding them has got to get into the players heads.  its hard to ignore and its got to impact their mental preparation and mindset.  This loss might be a well needed wake up call.  Turn off the phone, cancel your social media accounts, put down the papers and shut off the devices and turn off the web, decline all the optional interviews, say all the right things, and focus on business and step up your game.  That includes the coaches.  The talent is there.  Its time to deliver. 

They beat them the last 2 seasons, and a lot of it was based on takeaways.  5 takeaways in 2019 and we won 17-10.  A pick 6 is probably the difference in 2020 when they won 26-15, massive shift in momentum. there.   

This time, buffalos takeaway is taken off the board, and pitt blocked a punt.  Allen has consistently struggled against pittsburgh in the last 3 years, its not like we shouldn't expect it.  Its a top 5 defense in the NFL, and just generally they match up well with Buffalo's offense/playcalling - good physical corners, smart safeties, great pass rush.  

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

It’s not just 1 game. It happened against Tennessee and KC last year. We underperform when it matters. I still believe we go deep in the playoffs, so while it may seem I’m overreacting, I’m just concerned we aren’t doing enough to build off last year. KC isn’t going to get worse, not with Mahomes at the helm, so the Bills better figure it out. Because yesterday was embarrassing all things considering. 

This is 2021. The league is different and the Bills need to start dominating with the talent we have. If we need better talent, then start drafting better. No more being happy about playoffs or super bowl appearances. Beat KC and win Super Bowls. Tired of not expecting greatness. 

i still think dabol has too much junk in the playbook, and too many tricks.  he's trying to make the O be about his clever stuff, instead of getting the best results.  real basic stuff in practice, running bread and butter plays over and over with some wrinkles to them so you have something to go to get a rhythm or when you are in a bind.  just throwing out 5 wide vs nickle and the best pass rush in the nfl, or going 4 wide empty back field, and that garbage on 4th down is no way to get to the superbowl.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This team needs more balance. Josh Allen is the perfect QB for the old panthers offense. This spread thing is going to have an expiration date. Please stop playing 1 dimensional football 

Bingo.  Too 1 dimensional.  

It’s game one and like most I hope this is just a kick in the nuts to get these guys on track.

My biggest concern is the lack of focus on having an efficient running game. I’ve heard all this crap about how Daboll constructs an opponent specific game plan and I don’t see it. He runs the same stuff against every opponent. Obviously we are going to be a pass first team and try and impose our will on them through the air, but you can’t tell me when you are facing one of the strongest D-lines that there are no screens, draws, quick slants, etc. His only plan to slow the rush was a Josh Allen designed keeper/draw which they blew up numerous times. They rushed 4 and dropped 7 in coverage. How can you not try and run against that?? Daboll’s answer was to go 5 wide, crowd the field even more while Josh got hassled. Ridiculous. Even out of 4 wide or preferably 11 personnel you’ve gotta be able to force them out of the nickel or dime and we haven’t been willing or able to do that against the better teams. Until our threat of a run isn’t more than a bluff and is actually somewhat effective, teams are going to continue this type of D against us although not all will have the personnel to make it work.

• Agree 2

The Steelers were the more physical team, especially in defending passes. The Bills' receivers got little room, and when they did catch the pass they were tackled immediately.

The Steelers also finished their tackles brutally. On a couple of the tackles of Diggs I wondered that he was able to stand up afterwards. 

The Bills got punched in the mouth by the Steelers defense, just as they did in the first half of their game last season. 

There are a lot of things you can point to as the reason we lost this game.  But, honestly, I think you're overthinking it if you go too far beyond the LOS.

It's been proven time and time again that no matter how good an offense is, if you can get pressure with only 4 (sometimes it was only 3 yesterday), and can stop the run with that same 4 more often than not while dropping everyone else into coverage, you can stop virtually any offense.  It happened to the Cheats in the Super Bowls against the Giants and the Chiefs just last year against the Bucs.  It's what every defense aspires to be able to do.  It's what we're trying to do on defense as well.  The problem is, not many teams can do it week in and week out.

But, yesterday, the Steelers manhandled our O-Line and got pressure all day with 4 and sometimes 3.  I don't care how good your WRs are because if there is 7-8 men back in coverage, the 3 or 4 WRs in a pattern aren't going to find much room to work, especially in 2-3 seconds.  The only way to combat that is to be able to run the ball effectively and get them to have to leave some LBs up close to the LOS to help the line and the Steelers D-Line was just too much for our offensive line to move yesterday even if it was 5 on 4 or 5 on 3 yesterday.

Yes, there were bad play calls.  Yes, there were drops, Yes, Allen wasn't as sharp as he could have been yesterday.  Yes, the coaching was terrible at times.  There were a lot of things wrong with yesterday, but not being able to block their front 3 or 4 consistently all day was the primary reason for it.

9 hours ago, steven50 said:

I haven't looked through every thread on the subject so apologies if it was already said. I dont post a lot on the board but wanted to add my thoughts to the game 1 vs Pittsburgh.

I was worried about this game for one reason and I think my worries were justified after watching the game.  The offense didn't look like last years offense. Granted Pittsburgh has arguably one of, if not the best d line in the NFL but just watching on TV it seemed as if a couple of times things were open underneath but Josh decided to to go for the home run instead of taking what the D was giving. The film will come out later and tell me if I am right or wrong.

I am saying all this to say I think it was a mistake to keep a lot of the starters on the bench for the bulk of the preseason.

Even during the Superbowl years of the 90's Kelly and company always played a couple series in the preseason games I think it was a huge mistake not to get them in more in the preseason. We looked lost (and rusty) a couple of times on O  out there today.

Josh and the O had one great season playing together, that doesn't warrant getting to sit all preseason except for the one or two series they played in the last preseason game. They should have played more. Josh looked indecisive and nervous. More playing time in the preseason might have taken care of that.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree with you but imo it's a simple Josh Allen was off his game, if he hits Emmanuel Sanders on that bomb where he clearly was a yard or so by the defender were up what 17-0 at the time? I think but there's no way to tell that if he hits that pass the wind is probably gone in the sail for Pittsburgh then Big Ben would have become 1 dimensional and we could have teed off on him and the 3 rookie OL they had but there is no way to tell that it's just my opinion and there were other plays where guys were open that he could of hit instead went deep, I don't think the gun slinger will ever leave Josh it's just in his DNA and we'll have to take the good with the bad, I've always compared him to Favre who will make you pull your hair out on 1 play then have your jaw drop the very next.

3 hours ago, McBean said:

I can summarize in 2 words why we lost:

Josh Allen

and you would be wrong.  Not that Allen didn't play a big role in the loss, but there were quite a few more reasons for the loss than just Josh Allen.  Thats like saying KC got destroyed in the SB because of Mahomes.