My Opinion why we lost vs pittsburgh

steven50

I haven't looked through every thread on the subject so apologies if it was already said. I dont post a lot on the board but wanted to add my thoughts to the game 1 vs Pittsburgh.

I was worried about this game for one reason and I think my worries were justified after watching the game.  The offense didn't look like last years offense. Granted Pittsburgh has arguably one of, if not the best d line in the NFL but just watching on TV it seemed as if a couple of times things were open underneath but Josh decided to to go for the home run instead of taking what the D was giving. The film will come out later and tell me if I am right or wrong.

I am saying all this to say I think it was a mistake to keep a lot of the starters on the bench for the bulk of the preseason.

Even during the Superbowl years of the 90's Kelly and company always played a couple series in the preseason games I think it was a huge mistake not to get them in more in the preseason. We looked lost (and rusty) a couple of times on O  out there today.

Josh and the O had one great season playing together, that doesn't warrant getting to sit all preseason except for the one or two series they played in the last preseason game. They should have played more. Josh looked indecisive and nervous. More playing time in the preseason might have taken care of that.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by steven50
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

IMO it's a lot more complicated than that.

I'm listening to Buscaglia on the Buffalo Beat podcast and he points out that the Bills (who last year ran four WR sets 14.1% of the time in the regular season) ran 4 WR sets on 33.3% of their snaps, and beyond that they ran 9 plays with 5 WRs, so 44.9% of the time they ran 4 or 5 WR sets. And Buscaglia says that on non-penalty plays on 4 WR snaps they got the Davis TD, but only gained 122 yards on 26 total plays. Which is bad.

https://theathletic.com/podcast/61-the-buffalo-beat/?episode=154

On the 9 plays with 5 WRs they gained -2 total yards. You read that right, negative two yards. Yikes!

120 yards on 35 total plays with 4 or 5 WRs. 

Whereas with 11 personnel, they managed 249 yards on 39 plays.

This may have been a large part of the problem.

The OL just didn't look good, and they were doing really well with the running nearly all game, but still not running much. Not that they should've turned to ground and pound, but they could've run a bit more.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

I'm listening to Buscaglia on the Buffalo Beat podcast and he points out that the Bills (who last year ran four WR sets 14.1% of the time in the regular season) ran 4 WR sets on 33.3% of their snaps, and beyond that they ran 9 plays with 5 WRs, so 44.9% of the time they ran 4 or 5 WR sets. And Buscaglia says that on non-penalty plays on 4 WR snaps they got the Davis TD, but only gained 122 yards on 26 total plays. Which is bad.

On the 9 plays with 5 WR snaps they gained -2 total yards. You read that right, negative two yards.

The OL just didn't look good, and they were doing really well with the running nearly all game, but still not running much. Not that they should've turned to ground and pound, but they could've run a bit more.

In a nutshell, the Steelers defense rattled the Bills. Chalk it up to whatever you wish: Allen getting limited time in preseason, Dawkins getting COVID, Diggs not being 100%. The bottom line is the Steelers smothered the Bills offense. They were never fooled and never out of position. They closed plays like a guided missile. It was a punch in the mouth that should tell us we ain't all that we think we are.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

On the 9 plays with 5 WRs they gained -2 total yards. You read that right, negative two yards. Yikes!

Thurm, well said.  We should’ve ran 11 a lot more especially with Gilliam as the designated TE, but really a FB.  If you want the Steelers to adjust and get more in the box, then the pass works.  They also either tried too hard to get to Sanders, or maybe because they blanketed no one was open.  They should’ve tried to get to Davis a lot more.  10 personnel can work, but not against this opponent.

4 hours ago, steven50 said:

I haven't looked through every thread on the subject so apologies if it was already said. I dont post a lot on the board but wanted to add my thoughts to the game 1 vs Pittsburgh.

I was worried about this game for one reason and I think my worries were justified after watching the game.  The offense didn't look like last years offense. Granted Pittsburgh has arguably one of, if not the best d line in the NFL but just watching on TV it seemed as if a couple of times things were open underneath but Josh decided to to go for the home run instead of taking what the D was giving. The film will come out later and tell me if I am right or wrong.

I am saying all this to say I think it was a mistake to keep a lot of the starters on the bench for the bulk of the preseason.

Even during the Superbowl years of the 90's Kelly and company always played a couple series in the preseason games I think it was a huge mistake not to get them in more in the preseason. We looked lost (and rusty) a couple of times on O  out there today.

Josh and the O had one great season playing together, that doesn't warrant getting to sit all preseason except for the one or two series they played in the last preseason game. They should have played more. Josh looked indecisive and nervous. More playing time in the preseason might have taken care of that.

Just my 2 cents.

There was NO preseason last year and that produced the best QB year we've ever seen here.

• Like (+1) 1

We beat them twice in a row..one away game and at home.

Before that the Steelers owned the Bills including yesterday they have won 11 of 14.

Both defenses played great both offenses struggled.

The game came down to a ST play...a blocked punt for a TD.

Oh well back to the drawing board and on to Miami.

Edited by JMF2006
and
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This is interesting.  Coaching.  On offense we were too damm fancy and way too impatient.  

Tomlin showed us why he is one of the best. 

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 1

Their defense was consistently great all game.  

Our defense was elite for a half, and meh for a half.  

They forced a fumble for good starting field position.  We received the benefit of a shanked punt. 

End result, both defenses gave up 16 points.  

A blocked punt for a TD was the difference.   That can’t happen in the NFL.  Especially not on a team with such an insistence on special teams personnel focus.  

We all have worries and complaints about the Offense… OL, Allen, playcalling etc.  

End of the day.  A special teams play won the game, and they were more focused, played with more intensity and Tomlin had them ready to play against a team that’s beat them twice in a row.  

We looked like we just expected to win.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

End of the Day. Dropped one we should have won. On to Miami. 

After re-watching some of the game this morning and checking into the stats I think the Bills simply beat themselves yesterday.  In the long run of this season this might be the best thing to happen to this team right out of the gate.  The loss blasts away all the hype and forecasts of greatness and brings the team back to Earth to get down to business.    

In the 4 PM game I watched the Browns get the Chiefs on the ropes late into the 2nd half.  But KC hung in and turned it on at the end and won the game.  Eventually the Chiefs clicked on both sides of the ball and the Browns effective play just fell apart.  I'm no Chiefs fan but they have that missing "IT" factor this Bills team needs to develop.  And maybe this loss to the Steelers is the kick in the face kind of wake up call for this season that the Hail Murray was for last year. 

20 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

I would’ve liked a series in each of the PS games, but I’m not going to blame it on that one.  Hopefully these guys read their press clippings, and now are back to earth and take it out on Miami.  If Miami drops 7, run.  Then when they move up, big chunk throws.

I would say preseason would have given both offenses more rhythm.  Pittsburgh picked it up the second half, we did not.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

In a nutshell, the Steelers defense rattled the Bills. Chalk it up to whatever you wish: Allen getting limited time in preseason, Dawkins getting COVID, Diggs not being 100%. The bottom line is the Steelers smothered the Bills offense. They were never fooled and never out of position. They closed plays like a guided missile. It was a punch in the mouth that should tell us we ain't all that we think we are.

it was like watching the same team that played the Chiefs to close out the year last season.  Except the Chiefs have a superior offense to the Steelers.  

• Like (+1) 1

Allen threw the ball 51 times! In of itself isn’t a bad thing, provided you mix it up and design better play calls. No screens, no play action, no bootlegs, no slants. While Allen needs to find his open receivers, it’s not helpful when Daboll plays these ridiculous ego games. He is precisely why he won’t get a head coaching gig, or if he does he’s going to struggle. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills
  • Agree 1

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Their defense was consistently great all game.  

Our defense was elite for a half, and meh for a half.  

They forced a fumble for good starting field position.  We received the benefit of a shanked punt. 

End result, both defenses gave up 16 points.  

A blocked punt for a TD was the difference.   That can’t happen in the NFL.  Especially not on a team with such an insistence on special teams personnel focus.  

We all have worries and complaints about the Offense… OL, Allen, playcalling etc.  

End of the day.  A special teams play won the game, and they were more focused, played with more intensity and Tomlin had them ready to play against a team that’s beat them twice in a row.  

We looked like we just expected to win.  

we expected Josh to throw 50 times and be the bulk of the run game.  That’s probably a loss against the best teams, and a banged up QB later in the season. 

• Like (+1) 2