Post Game Thoughts

newcam2012

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

- Bills Offense was exposed. The blue print is available. Solid defenses have caught up to the Bills scheme.Too predictable and changes need to happen. If not there's no way this team hoists a Lombardi trophy. 

- Allen regressed back to his rookie days. Inaccurate, poor mechnics, forced passes, fumbles, and poor vision. Never felt confident watching him today. Hate to say that as a big fan of his. I can't get out of my head that maybe he takes a few steps backwards this year. 

- Dabol's play calling and game plan was horrific. Not sure what his though process was? Abandoned the run, no screen or slant passes, no designed roll outs for Allen with a run pass option, etc.  

- McDermott and company usually makes solid second half adjustments. I often enjoy watching the successful "cat and mouse" moves. Big failure on our coaching staff. Up 10-0 at half and at home. Got thoutoghly spanked and out coached at every level in the second half.

- Couldn't help but think maybe our coaching staff should have played the starters more during the preseason. They sure looked out of sync. 

- Milano and White are studs. Nothing more to say.

- Knox was one of the few bright spots on offense. 

- Defense played well but not great. It was really a tale of two halves. The second half was disappointing. They gave up big plays, penalties, and perhaps gassed out. 

- Great special teams return! Hard to give up a blocked punt for a TD and win a close game. 

- Levi Mitchell was a big liability out there.

- Bills pass rush will improve but it still is concerning.  Big Ben is nifty and releases the ball often before he gets hit. 

- Hope this loss is a wake up call. The Bills won't beat quality teams playing this way with this game plan.

- I take Bills losses pretty hard. This one stings because I expected so much from this team. I thoroughly bought into all the media hype. Gonna be a long week...

On to Miami...

That analysis was perfect. Why do they think that putting an overwhelmed O-line in empty set formations is helping Josh get into rhythm. If they don't think Devin or Moss can provide the threat of a running attack, or our O-line can't open holes, Josh will be hard pressed to save the season. Begs the question, will Beane use some capspace to improve our O-line before it's too late.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He was literally invisible like he’s not even on the team 😜😜 

The game is much much simpler for my opinion. Daboll took a big dump on what made this offense successful the last 2 seasons. 
We had zero misdirection in today’s scheme. McKenzie is nursing a bad shoulder, but I find it impossible we have all these receivers and nobody else can run some motion or jet sweeps. Would of totally changed how they rushed us. How many screens did we throw? We didn’t really even try and use Breida. This was not the offense I seen this team run for the last 2 years. 
All that said, even as bad as the scheme was if Allen hits any of those deep balls I think it’s a totally different ball game. 

Certainly if Allen hits a couple deep balls it’s a different game

When 3 or 4 defenders are in the backfield almost immediately, misdirection is hard.  We tried a couple of those trick plays early IIRC and they were blown up in the backfield for a loss each time.

1 hour ago, dorquemada said:

Too much sniffing their own farts, not enough preparing for the Steelers.  This is why i hate when they get hyped in the media, they start to believe it.

Crude, but IMO it may be essentially correct.

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

That analysis was perfect. Why do they think that putting an overwhelmed O-line in empty set formations is helping Josh get into rhythm. If they don't think Devin or Moss can provide the threat of a running attack, or our O-line can't open holes, Josh will be hard pressed to save the season. Begs the question, will Beane use some capspace to improve our O-line before it's too late.

What improvement do you think Beane will be able to make at this point?  

They need to run the ball more, put in Gilliam more, more play action. 

They just go empty and/or singleback in the backfield most of the game. 

Run & pass out the same formations sometimes. 

This is a new year, coaches studied the tape from last year. Install new plays that works. 

They will right the ship.

Let Go Buffalo!!!!!!

• Like (+1) 1

We need less of the 5 wide stuff vs good teams.. It's proven time and time again not to work.  If Allen is on fire and feeling it, go for it but it just seems like we put a lot of pressure on Allen to make it happen with that set..

How about keeping a back in the backfield to use as an outlook or running more plays designed for Knox and create mis-matches..

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Certainly if Allen hits a couple deep balls it’s a different game

When 3 or 4 defenders are in the backfield almost immediately, misdirection is hard.  We tried a couple of those trick plays early IIRC and they were blown up in the backfield for a loss each time.

Crude, but IMO it may be essentially correct.

What improvement do you think Beane will be able to make at this point?  

Why did they clear capspace? Even if you give up a draft choice or a back-up QB, bring in a veteran O-line run blocker, or a blocking TE, who can be another underneath target. I have long felt that Josh overcame poor O-line play with quick strike hookups. When he is not lights out, the shortcomings are exposed.

11 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

- Bills Offense was exposed. The blue print is available. Solid defenses have caught up to the Bills scheme.Too predictable and changes need to happen. If not there's no way this team hoists a Lombardi trophy. 

- Allen regressed back to his rookie days. Inaccurate, poor mechnics, forced passes, fumbles, and poor vision. Never felt confident watching him today. Hate to say that as a big fan of his. I can't get out of my head that maybe he takes a few steps backwards this year. 

- Dabol's play calling and game plan was horrific. Not sure what his though process was? Abandoned the run, no screen or slant passes, no designed roll outs for Allen with a run pass option, etc.  

- I take Bills losses pretty hard. This one stings because I expected so much from this team. I thoroughly bought into all the media hype. Gonna be a long week...

On to Miami...

This has to be a joke

10 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Yeah, bad week for Daboll and Allen. Hopefully they both bounce back and we resemble last year's offense next week.

I don't know what the receivers were talking about, they couldn't all be doubled.

Last season, Allen looked off almost every pass. I counted zero look offs today. He threw into triple coverage twice.

He didn't feel the rush and move away like he did last year. We stopped rolling out Allen in last year's playoffs but I don't understand why.

We need both Allen and Daboll and the OL, everyone to get on the same page and work together this week to get a big W for next week. Gonna be a long week...

Go Bills!

Do wonder if part of Allen's problem was he was keeping one eye on the rush all game as they were in his face so much of the time.  He also was careless with the ball the way he was carrying it.  Think most of his issues are more mental than anything else, needs to calm down.

Line does worry me, think Dawkins is still not back to 100 from Covid.  What I don't know is it strength or stamina?  If it's stamina, then maybe every 6 or 7 plays, sub in Brown.  If it's strength, then may need to just play Brown all game for another week or two.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

We didn’t need the trick plays imo, just the way pre snap motion of it. McKenzie was in motion a ton the last two years with the jet sweep fakes. I used to criticize it but it was really successful last year. Slows the pass rush just a second or two. I’ve always been curious why they don’t use anyone else similar. Diggs can line up anywhere and always has the defenses attention. We used Brieda similarly in preseason. I think it would of made a big difference in how they rushed us. It’s a moot point now but I’d have to guess we will see more pre snap movement next week. 

• Like (+1) 1

I blame 17.

Dude got paid and was just severely inaccurate.  There was plays to be made, he just made bad decisions and some awful throws. 

Lets hope this was an anomaly, every QB has bad weeks. Josh has proven he can bounce back , hopefully he can continue that trend

23 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

I blame 17.

Dude got paid and was just severely inaccurate.  There was plays to be made, he just made bad decisions and some awful throws. 

Lets hope this was an anomaly, every QB has bad weeks. Josh has proven he can bounce back , hopefully he can continue that trend

Very well stated. Honest and blunt. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'm of the opinion that the O & D played well -- just not well enough to overcome the occasional mistakes -- e.g. blocked punt, the three or so holding penalties on 73, ther Keystone Kops play on 4th & 1 and (and this is a big and) Josh's inability to hit any of his deep throws.

We put up 350 yards on a D that thpically allows less that 300 and we limited their O to about 250 yards.

Our execution (particularly on O) needs improvement.

As for the empty backfield formation, one of the broadcast commentators said this formation made it easier for Josh to identify potential blitzes.

I also note that when we ran it was a power run game rather than a zone run game.

My 2 cents

• Like (+1) 1

A lot of folks commenting on Allen's ball security Sunday seem to forget that Big Ben was strip sacked and the Steelers were lucky the Bills didn't fall on that ball.

TJ Watt is one of the best D-linemen in NFL history at stripping the ball.

Allen also threw the ball 51 times and I don't recall any of those passes being intercepted or even coming close to being intercepted?  Big Ben was intercepted and was only saved by a terrible penalty called on White.

Allen like Jackson is a risk taking player when it comes to moving around trying to make a big pass play downfield and/or taking off and running with the ball.  As such both these guys will make a lot of big plays. At the same time they both will fumble the ball.  We saw that with Jackson last night.  Should Lamar slow his game down to better protect the ball? 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Old Coot said:

I'm of the opinion that the O & D played well -- just not well enough to overcome the occasional mistakes -- e.g. blocked punt, the three or so holding penalties on 73, ther Keystone Kops play on 4th & 1 and (and this is a big and) Josh's inability to hit any of his deep throws.

We put up 350 yards on a D that thpically allows less that 300 and we limited their O to about 250 yards.

Our execution (particularly on O) needs improvement.

As for the empty backfield formation, one of the broadcast commentators said this formation made it easier for Josh to identify potential blitzes.

I also note that when we ran it was a power run game rather than a zone run game.

My 2 cents

Not sure how you can say the Oline played well. Imho, they were a major reason why we lost. Pitt hardly ever blitzed. Their front beat up on thw bills oline as Josh was under constant and consistent pressure. Allen threw the ball 51 times for 270 yards. Thus, the 270 passing is terrible. 

On 9/13/2021 at 12:05 AM, newcam2012 said:

- McDermott and company usually makes solid second half adjustments. I often enjoy watching the successful "cat and mouse" moves. Big failure on our coaching staff. Up 10-0 at half and at home. Got thoutoghly spanked and out coached at every level in the second half.

- Couldn't help but think maybe our coaching staff should have played the starters more during the preseason. They sure looked out of sync. 

On to Miami...

With regard to all your comments about the offense, maybe they are true, maybe they are true and don't really matter.  I am of the belief that none of those things matter IF the offensive line played better.

If this Bills offense gets slightly above average protection from the line (either because they play great or they are playing against a bad defense), then this offense hums.  Bad playcalling, too much or not enough running...none of it matters.  The problem is this offensive line is NOT good, and this group hasn't been good for over a year.

Allen can beat pressure. Allen can beat a D-unit that drops into heavy coverage. What he can't do on a regular basis is beat a Defense that does both.  If they only rush 3 or 4 and get pressure on him, he isn't going to beat you downfield when he has the pocket collapse on him AND there is 7 in zone coverage.

The offensive line isn't good enough to win ALL the time.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1