Post Game Thoughts

newcam2012

- Bills Offense was exposed. The blue print is available. Solid defenses have caught up to the Bills scheme.Too predictable and changes need to happen. If not there's no way this team hoists a Lombardi trophy. 

- Allen regressed back to his rookie days. Inaccurate, poor mechnics, forced passes, fumbles, and poor vision. Never felt confident watching him today. Hate to say that as a big fan of his. I can't get out of my head that maybe he takes a few steps backwards this year. 

- Dabol's play calling and game plan was horrific. Not sure what his though process was? Abandoned the run, no screen or slant passes, no designed roll outs for Allen with a run pass option, etc.  

- McDermott and company usually makes solid second half adjustments. I often enjoy watching the successful "cat and mouse" moves. Big failure on our coaching staff. Up 10-0 at half and at home. Got thoutoghly spanked and out coached at every level in the second half.

- Couldn't help but think maybe our coaching staff should have played the starters more during the preseason. They sure looked out of sync. 

- Milano and White are studs. Nothing more to say.

- Knox was one of the few bright spots on offense. 

- Defense played well but not great. It was really a tale of two halves. The second half was disappointing. They gave up big plays, penalties, and perhaps gassed out. 

- Great special teams return! Hard to give up a blocked punt for a TD and win a close game. 

- Levi Mitchell was a big liability out there.

- Bills pass rush will improve but it still is concerning.  Big Ben is nifty and releases the ball often before he gets hit. 

- Hope this loss is a wake up call. The Bills won't beat quality teams playing this way with this game plan.

- I take Bills losses pretty hard. This one stings because I expected so much from this team. I thoroughly bought into all the media hype. Gonna be a long week...

On to Miami...

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It's not as bad as you just made it sound. Josh clearly was jittery early and never fully got into his groove. Play calling was sub par. That and most of the rest are things we saw at a high level for long stretches last year. Just throw all that out the window cause game 1 of the season went awry? 

Never get too high or low on your team after week 1!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Yeah, bad week for Daboll and Allen. Hopefully they both bounce back and we resemble last year's offense next week.

I don't know what the receivers were talking about, they couldn't all be doubled.

Last season, Allen looked off almost every pass. I counted zero look offs today. He threw into triple coverage twice.

He didn't feel the rush and move away like he did last year. We stopped rolling out Allen in last year's playoffs but I don't understand why.

We need both Allen and Daboll and the OL, everyone to get on the same page and work together this week to get a big W for next week. Gonna be a long week...

Go Bills!

25 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

He was literally invisible like he’s not even on the team 😜😜 

The game is much much simpler for my opinion. Daboll took a big dump on what made this offense successful the last 2 seasons. 
We had zero misdirection in today’s scheme. McKenzie is nursing a bad shoulder, but I find it impossible we have all these receivers and nobody else can run some motion or jet sweeps. Would of totally changed how they rushed us. How many screens did we throw? We didn’t really even try and use Breida. This was not the offense I seen this team run for the last 2 years. 
All that said, even as bad as the scheme was if Allen hits any of those deep balls I think it’s a totally different ball game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Yeah, bad week for Daboll and Allen. Hopefully they both bounce back and we resemble last year's offense next week.

I don't know what the receivers were talking about, they couldn't all be doubled.

Last season, Allen looked off almost every pass. I counted zero look offs today. He threw into triple coverage twice.

He didn't feel the rush and move away like he did last year. We stopped rolling out Allen in last year's playoffs but I don't understand why.

We need both Allen and Daboll and the OL, everyone to get on the same page and work together this week to get a big W for next week. Gonna be a long week...

Go Bills!

Good assessment. I agree with it. 

56 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

I was thinking about that.  Kind of strange comment from Beasley.

According to something posted elsewhere from Joe B, we ran 33% 4 WR sets.  Theoretically, if they were rushing 3, I suppose they could double everyone.

I thought Allen felt the rush and moved around pretty neatly.  But he was really being chased around.  Normally when he moves to evade, his OL follow the play and at least get in the way.

I didn't see a lot of that.

Beasley said:

Maybe they need to lose some confidence.  If they haven't put in the work, it's misplaced.  Maybe they need to stop with the 40 point expectation and just try their best to score, one drive at a time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

There is a fine line between confidence and over confidence. By the sounds of Beasley’s quote I’m definitely getting the feeling that this Bills offense and coaches are guilty of being over confident. They need to take a step back, regroup and work harder in practice to do the things that got them to 2020’s level in the first place. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Billznut said:

There is a fine line between confidence and over confidence. By the sounds of Beasley’s quote I’m definitely getting the feeling that this Bills offense and coaches are guilty of being over confident. They need to take a step back, regroup and work harder in practice to do the things that got them to 2020’s level in the first place. 

I think Josh should have more confidence in the defense after this game at least... after looking at the tape he'll see that they couldve easily won this game if they took some of those underneath throws.  I have rarely seen someone so thoroughly carry a team on his back as he did last year and it's probably tough to shake that mindset that you need big chunk plays every drive because your defense couldn't stop a college team. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I was thinking about that.  Kind of strange comment from Beasley.

According to something posted elsewhere from Joe B, we ran 33% 4 WR sets.  Theoretically, if they were rushing 3, I suppose they could double everyone.

I thought Allen felt the rush and moved around pretty neatly.  But he was really being chased around.  Normally when he moves to evade, his OL follow the play and at least get in the way.

I didn't see a lot of that.

Beasley said:

Maybe they need to lose some confidence.  If they haven't put in the work, it's misplaced.  Maybe they need to stop with the 40 point expectation and just try their best to score, one drive at a time.

That right there ties into what we were saying during the game. They've developed a reputation as being an explosive offense and seem to think that's what they have to be at all times otherwise they're somehow failing. Wrong attitude to have and I hope Beasley doesn't speak for Daboll and Allen.

If they take away your big plays then just be patient and take what they give you, death by a 1000 paper cuts is just as effective as a sledgehammer to the head

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He was literally invisible like he’s not even on the team 😜😜 

The game is much much simpler for my opinion. Daboll took a big dump on what made this offense successful the last 2 seasons. 
We had zero misdirection in today’s scheme. McKenzie is nursing a bad shoulder, but I find it impossible we have all these receivers and nobody else can run some motion or jet sweeps. Would of totally changed how they rushed us. How many screens did we throw? We didn’t really even try and use Breida. This was not the offense I seen this team run for the last 2 years. 
All that said, even as bad as the scheme was if Allen hits any of those deep balls I think it’s a totally different ball game. 

I was shocked at the lack of motion.

• Like (+1) 1

i remember the super windy game vs philly, where we were like 6-1 or something and they ran down our throats in 2019.

in that game, philly's good O coaching leaned on what was working and mixed it up some but really attacked where the d was weak.  dabol tries to run a fine line between dictating everything and overwhelming the d, and just being too cute by half.  he was way over the line today.  we were vanilla and pressing into a rush that handled us and really frustrating coverage, and took ourselves out of being able to run the ball, along w as said above very predictable allen runs.  when allen ran vs pass d it was murder on them, when we ran the ball vs pass d it was very effective, when we run into a wall or most importantly passed against what looked to me like sometimes disguised but really just steady disciplined coverage we were trash passing the ball.

i said it the last few years and sadly i have to say it again, other teams play us at a lower level of difficulty than we play them.  they take the easy money when it's there and set us up to make their bigger plays easier.  we just like dial up stuff like we are playing a video game.

mcd made some dumb goofs too, but this is all on hiim.  he's got to crack down on dabol and force him to string together drives with fewer wasted plays.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

- Bills Offense was exposed. The blue print is available. Solid defenses have caught up to the Bills scheme.Too predictable and changes need to happen. If not there's no way this team hoists a Lombardi trophy. 

- Allen regressed back to his rookie days. Inaccurate, poor mechnics, forced passes, fumbles, and poor vision. Never felt confident watching him today. Hate to say that as a big fan of his. I can't get out of my head that maybe he takes a few steps backwards this year. 

- Dabol's play calling and game plan was horrific. Not sure what his though process was? Abandoned the run, no screen or slant passes, no designed roll outs for Allen with a run pass option, etc.  

- McDermott and company usually makes solid second half adjustments. I often enjoy watching the successful "cat and mouse" moves. Big failure on our coaching staff. Up 10-0 at half and at home. Got thoutoghly spanked and out coached at every level in the second half.

- Couldn't help but think maybe our coaching staff should have played the starters more during the preseason. They sure looked out of sync. 

- Milano and White are studs. Nothing more to say.

- Knox was one of the few bright spots on offense. 

- Defense played well but not great. It was really a tale of two halves. The second half was disappointing. They gave up big plays, penalties, and perhaps gassed out. 

- Great special teams return! Hard to give up a blocked punt for a TD and win a close game. 

- Bills pass rush will improve but it still is concerning.  Big Ben is nifty and releases the ball often before he gets hit. 

- Hope this loss is a wake up call. The Bills won't beat quality teams playing this way with this game plan.

- I take Bills losses pretty hard. This one stings because I expected so much from this team. I thoroughly bought into all the media hype. Gonna be a long week...

On to Miami...

Milano is a stud based on what?  he had 3 solo tackles.  The big problem with our defence is they do not create turnovers & I agree Levi Wallace is a problem.  I also agree that the play calling by Dabol was not good,  I thought with the Steelers DL just pinning their ears on almost every play that a screen would have been a wise choice.

• Like (+1) 1