McDermott, Josh/Beasley and Poyer/Hyde postgame pressers

I do NOT like McDermott’s canned responses. He always says it starts with me and I need to get better. No **** , the only way to get better is to get better talent, or utilize the talent that you have to better strategies. Obviously they don’t think Allen is the main problem, because they just backed up the binks truck. So is it the play calling McD or is it not good enough WRs/TE? I’m tired of him beating around the bush and hopefully he has a deep conversation with Daboll because quite frankly it’s unacceptable to get out played with the amount of talent we have on this team. Other teams are doing more with less, imagine if they had our roster. Constantly watching coaches like McVay and Shanahan get maximum production out of average talent, same with Belichick to some regards. If he thinks this fan base is going to just be happy with playoff runs and no Super Bowls, he has another thing coming. 

1 hour ago, Rc2catch said:

So you got me to listen to

McDermott’s. 
My takeaway was he basically just took the blame for daboll the way he worded his answers not to throw him under the bus. But I feel like he’s holding daboll responsible for this mess today. Am I the only one to hear it that way? They asked his input on some of those play calls and he dodged it by just saying it’s on him (mcd) to fix it. 

No, I heard it the same way.  Near the end, Heather Prusik asked whether “you need to get the running backs more involved as a whole then they were today, I mean Josh ended up with 51 passing attempts” and McDermott had an uncharacteristic lapse saying “Yeah I don’t want to give things away in terms of (heh)..pause…I can be better there” (at 9 minutes).

Earlier he said (after some criticisms about they moved the ball at times and if you’ve got time to stand back there and throw it on 3rd downs it’s not good enough).  “Overall, I thought our defense gave us a chance, in some tough situations ” (about 7:05).  

He also pointedly said that the Steelers rushed 4 and sometimes only 3, and that “adjustments need to be made” on OL.

So yeah, I had the same takeaway.

I thought it was interesting that no one asked him a question about the blocked punt, which overall was the biggest thing that cost us the game.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

No, I heard it the same way.  Near the end, Heather Prusik asked whether “you need to get the running backs more involved as a whole then they were today, I mean Josh ended up with 51 passing attempts” and McDermott had an uncharacteristic lapse saying “Yeah I don’t want to give things away in terms of (heh)..pause…I can be better there” (at 9 minutes).

Earlier he said (after some criticisms about they moved the ball at times and if you’ve got time to stand back there and throw it on 3rd downs it’s not good enough).  “Overall, I thought our defense gave us a chance, in some tough situations ” (about 7:05).  

He also pointedly said that the Steelers rushed 4 and sometimes only 3, and that “adjustments need to be made” on OL.

So yeah, I had the same takeaway.

I thought it was interesting that no one asked him a question about the blocked punt, which overall was the biggest thing that cost us the game.

I honestly don’t understand why they even bother having these press conferences. McDermott never gives a straight answer. All roads lead through him blah blah blah. It’s time he does some hard inspection into why we are struggling against harder competition. Is it talent, or is it coaching (play calling). If it’s talent, they have nobody but themselves to blame, because they didn’t do enough to bring in play makers. If it’s coaching, then they have nobody to blame but themselves because they continue to employ play callers that aren’t fixing the issues. While I don’t expect to go undefeated, I don’t find it acceptable what happened today. There is no reason why Allen passing 51 attempts yielded the results that it did with the surrounding talent that we have. We need to find ways to get these players in space if Allen is under pressure or roll him out. I’m getting tired of McDermott’s answers. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

10 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I do NOT like McDermott’s canned responses. He always says it starts with me and I need to get better. No **** , the only way to get better is to get better talent, or utilize the talent that you have to better strategies. Obviously they don’t think Allen is the main problem, because they just backed up the binks truck. So is it the play calling McD or is it not good enough WRs/TE? I’m tired of him beating around the bush and hopefully he has a deep conversation with Daboll because quite frankly it’s unacceptable to get out played with the amount of talent we have on this team. Other teams are doing more with less, imagine if they had our roster. Constantly watching coaches like McVay and Shanahan get maximum production out of average talent, same with Belichick to some regards. If he thinks this fan base is going to just be happy with playoff runs and no Super Bowls, he has another thing coming. 

I think if he was being honest he wouldve said 'the steelers late shifts on defense completely caught us by surprise and destroyed our presnap reads completely  and we will do our best to be better prepared' but we don't want to advertise that to every team in the league 🤣 

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think if he was being honest he wouldve said 'the steelers late shifts on defense completely caught us by surprise and destroyed our presnap reads completely  and we will do our best to be better prepared' but we don't want to advertise that to every team in the league 🤣 

I’m not expecting him to divulge team secrets, but his canned responses are like nails on a chalk board. It’s best to not even interview him at this point. He could of said Allen needs to find his open receivers, or O line needs to block better, but nothing. Even if he presents what he perceives as an issue, what is he going to do to correct it? Get better talent? Yell? More drills? I hate coach speak, it does nothing to instill confidence. I have high standards, I want super bowls, if we aren’t getting them, then we need better talent evaluators or play callers or coaches. 

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

I’m not expecting him to divulge team secrets, but his canned responses are like nails on a chalk board. It’s best to not even interview him at this point. He could of said Allen needs to find his open receivers, or O line needs to block better, but nothing. Even if he presents what he perceives as an issue, what is he going to do to correct it? Get better talent? Yell? More drills? I hate coach speak, it does nothing to instill confidence. I have high standards, I want super bowls, if we aren’t getting them, then we need better talent evaluators or play callers or coaches. 

That's kind of true with post-game pressers in general...its kind of a silly process.  Teams go to great lengths to not give away a single thing...its like a political debate 🤣

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That's kind of true with post-game pressers in general...its kind of a silly process.  Teams go to great lengths to not give away a single thing...its like a political debate 🤣

Which I already knew this, so I have only myself to blame for clicking on the link and putting myself through that torture. I apologize, I guess it’s unreasonable to expect greatness and reasonable explanations and corrective actions. 

Just now, IronMaidenBills said:

Which I already knew this, so I have only myself to blame for clicking on the link and putting myself through that torture. I apologize, I guess it’s unreasonable to expect greatness and reasonable explanations and corrective actions. 

It's unreasonable for us to find out about it in a press conference haha 

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

It's unreasonable for us to find out about it in a press conference haha 

LOL we will never find out about it, we will all have to speculate on here and make determinations if we think McDermott is fit enough to bring us a super bowl. If its a talent issue, we need to bring in better talent, if its coaching issues, then we need new coordinators. If we aren’t winning Super Bowls, they need to figure it out. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

42 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I honestly don’t understand why they even bother having these press conferences. McDermott never gives a straight answer. All roads lead through him blah blah blah. It’s time he does some hard inspection into why we are struggling against harder competition. Is it talent, or is it coaching (play calling).

It's the trenches.  Always.  

It never ever changes in the NFL.  If you have a great to elite QB and the best team in the trenches, you win.

Last year the Dline cost us.

This year, it looks like interior Oline is going to be an issue - against great fronts.  That interior line has to protect and open holes for running backs I'm not convinced are good enough to worry defenses at all.  

4 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

It never ever changes in the NFL.  If you have a great to elite QB and the best team in the trenches, you win.

This year, it looks like interior Oline is going to be an issue - against great fronts.  That interior line has to protect and open holes for running backs I'm not convinced are good enough to worry defenses at all.  

Then we have a talent evaluation issue and not coordinator/coaching issues. Then Beane should be getting more heat than he is. Someone needs to be blamed. Nobody wants to be accountable anymore. With Allen money tied up, even with expanding cap, our elite talent acquisition is going to be limited to mostly the draft. So either Beane starts building up the trenches, or we need to fix the issue while we still have prime Allen. 

6 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

So you got me to listen to

McDermott’s. 
My takeaway was he basically just took the blame for daboll the way he worded his answers not to throw him under the bus. But I feel like he’s holding daboll responsible for this mess today. Am I the only one to hear it that way? They asked his input on some of those play calls and he dodged it by just saying it’s on him (mcd) to fix it. 

I listened to McD's interview.  He was respectful towards the press but got the impression he was pissed about the game.  I think Daboll is his main target.  Allen was off his game yesterday and he got little help from the other players and coaching staff.  The game plan was inflexible imo

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Always the trenches, if the line plays well no blocked punt, and you force the defense to rush more than 3-4 players and then you can start to implement a gameplan, if not well just re-watch today's game the offense never had a chance unless Allen was playing at his highest level.  He's worked a lot on his chemistry with his targets, his mechanics, imo he still needs to drill the mental aspects continually to have a better mental comfortability against any defense like you see in guys who have the mental part down 2nd nature(brady, manning, brees, wilson). 

I was worried all off-season that we were too complacent about what we had upfront,(was shocked they didnt bring in a better guard and a more physically competent center, not to mention the tackle position which was basically ignored aside from the draft and there were a lot of quality tackles being moved around this offseason but we're ok with Dion and Daryl and two rookies) yes they had an excellent season last year(the offense as a whole), I'd still argue that we have a serious talent deficiency on the offensive line especially when compared to the other playoff/super bowl contenders. 

Can anyone honestly say that our OLine is in the same league as say, Chiefs, Bucs, Browns, Ravens, Indy, Packers, Pats, Saints, Cowboys, Rams, 49ers, Lions, Philly, Tenn. ?

Ok maybe we can be considered in the same league as Philly and Tenn but the rest of the list is head and shoulders better than the Bills and the rest of the league, I can almost guarantee the super bowl champ in on that list the only other way to be that effective in the playoffs without a top 5-10 Oline is to have a top 5 Dline/Defense.

• Like (+1) 1

I think McD was pissed.  Pissed enough to make significant O-line changes.  He was honest when he said that he had already made some conclusions but was going to watch the tape again.  My take, he wanted a different O-line combo and got talked out of it.  Think you’ll see a different interior next week.

Beasely comments were interesting on inside and outside leverage.  Seems like the coverage they were running gave some challenges to the offense.

Last point, this game is an anomaly.  You had a defense that clearly focused on our offense all TC and pre-season in prep.  Won’t have that same challenge again this season.  We also had no film on their O with a new coordinator.  It’s hindsight, but just a bad circumstance that won’t repeat itself.  I don’t get upset with the canned responses.  It’s leadership and that’s hard to do.  I’m trusting the process here.  We’re going to be ok.