Week 2: Bills at Dolphins

YoloinOhio

4 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Nearly 24 hours later I'm really not sure how I feel about next week but make no mistake this is pretty much a must win for the Bills because a loss not only puts them at 0-2 but essentially 3 games behind the Dolphins.

I was flipping back and forth between the Dolphins/Pats and Browns/Chiefs yesterday but from what I saw the Dolphins defense still looks very good but obviously not quite like the Steelers in terms of the front seven. Tua was solid other than the INT but it still says something to go into Foxboro and win especially on opening day.

If the Bills do bounce back and throttle the Dolphins by 2+ scores this week I'll be impressed but something tells me that even if we win it might be another ugly afternoon.

The Dolphins gave up nearly 400 yards to the conservative, ball control, rookie QB led NE offense.  Sure NE struggled in the red zone but that's expected with a rookie QB.  The Dolphins have a solid D but IMO it's no where near as good as a healthy Steeler's D.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I like our track record against Miami and think we kind of ran into the perfect storm yesterday. Give me the Bills to win by 10 on Sunday! 

Another sliver of hope for anyone that's looking for some: as far as we know, we escaped Week 1 without any notable injuries. Seems like it was an absolutely brutal week injury-wise for a lot of teams. Jason Verrett, Raheem Mostert, Braden Smith, Mekhi Becton, Jerry Jeudy, Lamarcus Joyner, Trent Brown, Marcus Davenport, Jeff Okudah, Marshon Lattimore...mostly longer-term injuries as well. 

For Week 3, Fitzpatrick and Curtis Samuel are already on IR...that defense is scary, but their offense will be really short-handed without those guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

I was going to get tickets to this game, as my son was off from school that Monday. But, my A/C went out Friday, so I spent the money on my comfort and not my aggravation! 

I don’t blame you I’m in the west Texas area and it’s still in the high 90’s I can only imagine how hot it is still Houston 

Edited by Putin

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

I’m not going to be surprised by either outcome to be honest…. I think the Bills offense has been figured out a little going back to last season against the Colts in the WC game…. And something just seemed off with the team yesterday….. Just completely sloppy all the way around and Allen didn’t look his self. Maybe it carries over. 

I dont think its been figured out. Hit a couple deep passes and not make bone head play calls and we would have been fine.

Honestly, tempo of the game was very similar to last years Steeler game, only difference is we melted late instead of get hot. Instead, Steelers got hot. 

We dont look like a Madden team vs good teams but we were still effective. Just gotta make plays.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

23 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I dont think its been figured out. Hit a couple deep passes and not make bone head play calls and we would have been fine.

Honestly, tempo of the game was very similar to last years Steeler game, only difference is we melted late instead of get hot. Instead, Steelers got hot. 

We dont look like a Madden team vs good teams but we were still effective. Just gotta make plays.

I feel the opposite...I think in some ways the Bills have exposed themselves as being way to dependent on Allen.  Steelers game planned the same way the Chiefs did against us in the AFCCG(Defensively).  It was so similar that it had me saying to myself that the Bills have become predictable.  I have half a thought that McD will abandon the pass completely and try to become a power running team against the Dolphins, and they'll be ready for it.  The Phins have to know we are going to amp up the running plays this week as a knee jerk reaction from yesterday.

• Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I feel the opposite...I think in some ways the Bills have exposed themselves as being way to dependent on Allen.  Steelers game planned the same way the Chiefs did against us in the AFCCG(Defensively).  It was so similar that it had me saying to myself that the Bills have become predictable.  I have half a thought that McD will abandon the pass completely and try to become a power running team against the Dolphins, and they'll be ready for it.  The Phins have to know we are going to amp up the running plays this week as a knee jerk reaction from yesterday.

I definitely don’t think this will happen. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

I don't disagree. The offense has flaws. Situations can manifest that knock us off our game. That does not mean its "figured out" so to speak. It just is what it is.

I believe this is made worse by our run philosophy. I don't defend this. Teams with balanced defenses have fail safes if the normal path is not working, we don't really. It's a flaw with the offense. 

Its still an incredible challenge to shut down Allen or our WRs.

Allen did play relatively poor in our two playoff wins though. He also didn't play great in the Steelers win last year.

I think Daboll needs to mix in 10 more runs per game. I think he needs to relax on some of the cute angle stuff and know when to go straight at the defense better. 

21 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I don't disagree. The offense has flaws. Situations can manifest that knock us off our game. That does not mean its "figured out" so to speak. It just is what it is.

I believe this is made worse by our run philosophy. I don't defend this. Teams with balanced defenses have fail safes if the normal path is not working, we don't really. It's a flaw with the offense. 

Its still an incredible challenge to shut down Allen or our WRs.

Allen did play relatively poor in our two playoff wins though. He also didn't play great in the Steelers win last year.

I think Daboll needs to mix in 10 more runs per game. I think he needs to relax on some of the cute angle stuff and know when to go straight at the defense better. 

I agree, but our offense looked so unimaginative yesterday aside from the "cutesy" plays that blew up in our face.  Four and five sets...very little motion or play action(as if defenses would buy it anyway.) we need to be more balanced with some mis-direction mixed in...I know I'm preaching to the choir but still feeling a little disappointed from yesterdays showing.

26 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

I don't get why people believe Allen played poorly in BOTH our playoff wins.  The fact is that Allen was brilliant against a very good Colts D. His play in that game was elite by any measure:

26/35 for 324 yards and 2 TD's.  11 runs for 54 yards and 1 TD.  That's all three TD's and 378 total yards.  Allen basically won that game.

Sure he was average against Baltimore in a cold wind storm. But even here he did enough to win.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I definitely don’t think this will happen. 

I agree, if anything, I think Allen will end up hurting their D running, I just hope it's not designed runs. I'm pretty sure Flores is still fuming about week 17 last year. But then again, I'm pretty sure Josh is fuming over last sunday which makes Flores moot

• Like (+1) 4