McDermott Game Day Decision Making

BillsFan1

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD is coaching in the wrong era. 53 yard FG is not a big deal even outdoors. Perfect kicking conditions. Bass is a weapon. Need to take advantage of it.

Yup, wasn't that the reason they drafted him for his "Big" leg.

I like McD but IMHO it is concerning he has been outcoached in 4 straight games now. Reich out coached him but Riech also made stupid decisions that cost them the game, Harbaugh out coached him and I think would have lost the game if it wasn't for Johnson pick 6, Reid, it wasn't even close, then yesterday vs Tomlin, wow 4 games in a row out coached.

I'm starting to think McD is a great guy, great motivator, excellent at turning the franchise around, excellent at creating a team/family atmosphere, that stuff goes without question, but I'm starting to see nothing more than an average coach that I'm not sure is going to be able to take this bunch to the level needed to win the SB.

15 hours ago, BillsFan1 said:

If he coaches better, and plays field position, they most likely give up less.

Too much Coaching to be a hero.

O was getting it's rear kicked in so some risk taking was required. I don't particularly have a problem with McD's in game calls.

My biggest issue is him delegating too much of the game planning and in-game adjustments to his OC and DC. Last year, when the D was struggling, he did not step in to help Frazier.

In what is now becoming a pattern, Daboll has shown an inability to adjust and counter what the opposing D is doing. McD has to step in and tell Daboll "remember how we have plans for different D styles? Well Brian use the alternative NOW". 

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Just got home from being in Buffalo for the game.  My feeling is the Head Coach and O Coordinator (and even to some extent the GM) aren't on the same page, and it's hurting us.  If McDermott is going to insist on playing field position safe game, then we need to at least threaten the run.  If we can't do that (or refuse to do that by lining up with an empty backfield over and over) then we're gonna keep losing games.  Honestly, I'd much prefer that we find some balance, where we at least have a threat of running, but also don't rely on it or coach like we want to win 13-6.  

The 4th down calls yesterday really hurt us, and I hope someone can get into McDermott's ear this week and convince him that's not the way this team should operate.

20 hours ago, BillsFan1 said:

Go for it from the 35 on 4th down

Go for it from the 50 on 4th down

From the 35.  Trust Bass.  Field Goal Try

From the 50 Trust Your D,  Pin Pittsburgh Deep,

Instead his decisions gave Pittsburgh good/great field position twice.

Why?   He knows as well as anyone the significance field position and momentum plays,   If Bass makes the kick, that is a huge boost for the Bills.  Punt from the 50 and play D.  Pittsburgh is not KC on offense.

Even with McDermott's field position gifts, the Bills D only gave up 16 points.   Good enough to win.   

Because we're the Bills and no matter what you have to throw 50+ times. 

No matter what we go for 4th down and Allen has to do it, so get everyone in a goal line set and have Allen run it and become the leading-rusher too. 

The Bills were greedy and out of control.  

20 hours ago, BillsFan1 said:

Go for it from the 35 on 4th down

Go for it from the 50 on 4th down

From the 35.  Trust Bass.  Field Goal Try

From the 50 Trust Your D,  Pin Pittsburgh Deep,

Instead his decisions gave Pittsburgh good/great field position twice.

Why?   He knows as well as anyone the significance field position and momentum plays,   If Bass makes the kick, that is a huge boost for the Bills.  Punt from the 50 and play D.  Pittsburgh is not KC on offense.

Even with McDermott's field position gifts, the Bills D only gave up 16 points.   Good enough to win.   

Wait, are you saying he was too progressive in game management?

My feeling (and everything I've seen / heard) has been the complete opposite.  This team is going to win our maximum number of games by getting ahead and then keep scoring points and pressure other teams into mistakes.  You don't do that by punting all day long.  On 4th and short, go for it, especially when your defense as playing as well as ours did in the first 3 quarters yesterday.

On 9/12/2021 at 3:53 PM, Success said:

I think McD & Daboll are in the top tier of coaches in the NFL.

But people have off days. I think if you asked them, they'd say today was an off day. They were terrible today. Almost inexplicable.

Like Allen, they'll be back.

They had 2 weeks to prepare.  It’s inexcusable!

7 hours ago, Captain Caveman said:

Just got home from being in Buffalo for the game.  My feeling is the Head Coach and O Coordinator (and even to some extent the GM) aren't on the same page, and it's hurting us.  If McDermott is going to insist on playing field position safe game, then we need to at least threaten the run.  If we can't do that (or refuse to do that by lining up with an empty backfield over and over) then we're gonna keep losing games.  Honestly, I'd much prefer that we find some balance, where we at least have a threat of running, but also don't rely on it or coach like we want to win 13-6.  

The 4th down calls yesterday really hurt us, and I hope someone can get into McDermott's ear this week and convince him that's not the way this team should operate.

With you 100%.  I’ve been saying it since last season.  You need to get any advantage you can vs the opposition.  By consistently going with an empty backfield, you’re giving the defense the advantage of not having to worry about the run, unless it’s Josh running.  If you have a RB back there, the defense doesn’t know what you’re going to do.  That RB is also available to chip an unblocked defender or slip out as a safety valve if the rush is closing in on Josh.  It has frequently been said over the years that one of the best ways to beat a relentless pass rush is to run a screen or two.  Can anyone tell me how many screen passes the Bills ran yesterday?  I wouldn’t be surprised if it was zero.

7 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

With you 100%.  I’ve been saying it since last season.  You need to get any advantage you can vs the opposition.  By consistently going with an empty backfield, you’re giving the defense the advantage of not having to worry about the run, unless it’s Josh running.  If you have a RB back there, the defense doesn’t know what you’re going to do.  That RB is also available to chip an unblocked defender or slip out as a safety valve if the rush is closing in on Josh.  It has frequently been said over the years that one of the best ways to beat a relentless pass rush is to run a screen or two.  Can anyone tell me how many screen passes the Bills ran yesterday?  I wouldn’t be surprised if it was zero.

I was hoping for more screens also, but usually they're effective against the blitz.  The problem Sunday was that Pittsburgh was getting so much pressure with only 3 or 4 defenders.  Still, I think especially against teams with pass rushes like that we need all the help we can get in blocking and keeping them honest.