McDermott Game Day Decision Making

BillsFan1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

The play calling was garbage. Bills should've scored 30 in this game. No play action, zero screens (as usual), no jet sweeps etc. Too much trying to push the ball down field constantly. 

Our play action is faking the pass and running the draw. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I think Mcdermott only made the right decision to go for it or not on 4th down once today, and that ended up being a spectacularly bad play call. 

In order:

4th and 1 from our own 46 with 2:41 left in 1st Q. We punted and probably should've gone for it.

4th and 3 from Pitt 43 with 10:58 left in the 2nd Q. We punted and probably should've gone for it. 

4th and 8 from Pitt 35 with 5:54 in the 3rd Q. McDermott's decision to go for it in this situation was absolutely ludicrous. One of the worst in game decisions of his career. This was probably the first NFL game I've ever seen where the leading team went for a 4th down of that distance.

4th and 1 from Pitt 41 with 13:46 in the 4th. It was the right choice to go for it, and the only one I agree with McD on from today. The play call however....

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I think McD & Daboll are in the top tier of coaches in the NFL.

But people have off days. I think if you asked them, they'd say today was an off day. They were terrible today. Almost inexplicable.

Like Allen, they'll be back.

I wish you would've posted this before I burned my #17 jersey! :)

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Success said:

I think McD & Daboll are in the top tier of coaches in the NFL.

But people have off days. I think if you asked them, they'd say today was an off day. They were terrible today. Almost inexplicable.

Like Allen, they'll be back.

Daboll and McD appear to have their "off days" against elite D's.  Trend is horrid.  

18 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

Daboll and McD appear to have their "off days" against elite D's.  Trend is horrid.  

Can we get some stats or are you just going to show up in every thread and troll all week?

It's fine if it's true... more than happy to have that discussion... but it's not true just because you say it. 

Edited by JGMcD2

45 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Don’t think we can mention decision making without mentioning the playcall of the pitch back to Singletary on 4th and 1.

Yes, probably that was Daboll’s call, but it was so bizarre I just heard a commentator saying “that play looked good on the board in July, not on the field in September”.  I can’t say they’re wrong.

Not sure what your intended point is?

Tomlin isn’t famous as a game day tactician…

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

Can we get some stats or are you just going to show up in every thread and troll all week?

It's fine if it's true... more than happy to have that discussion... but it's not true just because you say it. 

ok, then in important games.  Did they not choke against KC twice?.  They did.  Also awful against Baltimore last year in the playoffs, and against Tenn in the regular season.  Come out against a great PIT defense today (that was missing one of it's best players in Tuitt, btw) and again were awful.  

And I'm not trolling, are you going to be here all week like the offense is fine and Daboll is a good play caller?  Is that your position?  

8 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

ok, then in important games.  Did they not choke against KC twice?.  They did.  Also awful against Baltimore last year in the playoffs, and against Tenn in the regular season.  Come out against a great PIT defense today (that was missing one of it's best players in Tuitt, btw) and again were awful.  

And I'm not trolling, are you going to be here all week like the offense is fine and Daboll is a good play caller?  Is that your position?  

And they haven't won any important games at any point during the regular season or playoffs?

They didn't beat the Colts last year in the playoffs? They didn't beat the Ravens last year in the playoffs? They didn't beat the same Steelers team (11-1 going into the game) last year during the regular season? They didn't smack a playoff hopeful Miami Dolphins week 17? 49ers last season? They beat the Rams last year? Didn't we beat the most top 10 defenses (according to DVOA)? All those teams I'm listing out there were considered top of line defenses. 

You're trolling until you actually start putting together a fair argument that looks at everything objectively... this is why I am asking for stats and facts... not your personal anecdotes. 

Also, please show me where I said any of those words that you so kindly put into my mouth...?

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

KC is the best in the league, I don't see how losing to them is "choking"

TENN was a very special set of circumstances, you have to admit. 

We played outstanding against Baltimore. 

Have some nuance. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

7 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

And they haven't won any important games at any point during the regular season or playoffs?

They didn't beat the Colts last year in the playoffs? They didn't beat the Ravens last year in the playoffs? They didn't beat the same Steelers team (11-1 going into the game) last year during the regular season? They didn't smack a playoff hopeful Miami Dolphins week 17? 49ers last season? They beat the Rams last year? Didn't we beat the most top 10 defenses (according to DVOA)? All those teams I'm listing out there were considered top of line defenses. 

You're trolling until you actually start putting together a fair argument that looks at everything objectively... this is why I am asking for stats and facts... not your personal anecdotes. 

Also, please show me where I said any of those words that you so kindly put into my mouth...?

2020 DVOA Defense Rankings

#1 Pittsburgh (W)

#4 Los Angeles (W)

#6 San Francisco (W)

#7 Indianapolis (W)

#9 Baltimore (W)

#10 Arizona (L)

#11 Miami (W x2)

7-1  against top tier defenses last year?

We can do top 10...

5-1

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JGMcD2 said:

They didn't beat the Colts last year in the playoffs? They didn't beat the Ravens last year in the playoffs? They didn't beat the same Steelers team (11-1 going into the game) last year during the regular season? They didn't smack a playoff hopeful Miami Dolphins week 17? 49ers last season? They beat the Rams last year? Didn't we beat the most top 10 defenses (according to DVOA)?

you are clearly the one trolling here, and are the one who is trying to make this personal.  I said they had problems with those defenses, and they did.  You have done nothing to refute those arguments (in fact, in 2 of those games Allen was the leading rusher, not a sustainable formula).  And how a defense is ranked overall is not an indicator of where it is when we are playing them.  I.E. the 49ers were banged up last year when we played them, and Pitt was on a decline that anyone could see, what would have happened if we had PIT week one last year??  And we lost to KC and Tenn in the regular season, in EMBARASSING fashion.  

And what words did I "put in your mouth".  I asked if your position was that Daboll was a good playcaller, particularly in important games against good teams.  (the RAMS, who traded their QB, and a Tua led Dolphins team appear to be your counterargument here).   They have won a total of 2 playoff games, neither in dominant fashion, and then got brutally exposed in the AFC Championship game, and again today.  

7 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

KC is the best in the league, I don't see how losing to them is "choking"

TENN was a very special set of circumstances, you have to admit. 

We played outstanding against Baltimore. 

Have some nuance. 

1.  Tampa, who subsequently destroyed KC, would disagree. 

2.  We were embarrassed by KC.  Our offense was awful, and we got no where near Mahomes. 

3.  Tenn had COVID issues, that should have been the unprepared team.  As I recall, they didn't even practice much before the game. 

4.  Our D was okay against a Balt, offense was passable. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

you are clearly the one trolling here, and are the one who is trying to make this personal.  I said they had problems with those defenses, and they did.  You have done nothing to refute those arguments (in fact, in 2 of those games Allen was the leading rusher, not a sustainable formula).  And how a defense is ranked overall is not an indicator of where it is when we are playing them.  I.E. the 49ers were banged up last year when we played them, and Pitt was on a decline that anyone could see, what would have happened if we had PIT week one last year??  And we lost to KC and Tenn in the regular season, in EMBARASSING fashion.  

And what words did I "put in your mouth".  I asked if your position was that Daboll was a good playcaller, particularly in important games against good teams.  (the RAMS, who traded their QB, and a Tua led Dolphins team appear to be your counterargument here).   They have won a total of 2 playoff games, neither in dominant fashion, and then got brutally exposed in the AFC Championship game, and again today.  

When did I make anything personal or accuse you of making anything personal?

You're arguing with anecdotes again and not facts. You said they have their "off-days" with elite D's and it's troubling trend. Are teams not going to have problems against good defenses? Of course they had problems against good defenses.. ultimately they adjusted and won 5/6 football games. I'm here trying to define what you're actually saying to see if it's true.  

I showed you they went 5-1 against teams that were top-end defenses last year... they averaged 28 points/game.

If the 49ers get a pass for being banged up and the Steelers get a pass for falling apart... does that mean we get a pass for playing Tennessee last year with unprecedented circumstances or because all of our WRs were seriously hurt when we played KC in the AFC Championship game? Of course we don't get a pass for that. 

Edited by JGMcD2

2 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

2020 DVOA Defense Rankings

#1 Pittsburgh (W)

#4 Los Angeles (W)

#6 San Francisco (W)

#7 Indianapolis (W)

#9 Baltimore (W)

#10 Arizona (L)

#11 Miami (W x2)

7-1  against top tier defenses last year?

We can do top 10...

5-1

your talking win-loss, I'm talking offensive game play.  

Pittsburgh: bad team when we played them, they coasted to 11-1 on cupcakes, then imploded.  

LA:  That was a good offensive game v. a good defensive team.  

SF was banged up I believe when we played them.  

Indy, again, not a great offensive game. 

Balt: Same, not good on offense.    

AZ:  We lost.  

My point is, Daboll's playcalling fails at important times against good teams.  The one dimensional offensive stuff is not sustainable.  Agree, or no.  Really doesn't matter to me if you do or not.