Bills Offense

Milanos Milano

1. Coaching/play calls in "momentum" points was horrible today.  Big swing to Steeler side.

2. Josh didn't play well, to his standard, but it's not entirely on him.

3. Off Line struggled against 4 man rushes/stunts and generally didn't give enough protection.  On top of that, was called for numerous holding penalties.  This needs to clean up

4. Because of #3, Josh seemed to lose trust in his protection and think he rushed a couple throws/also missed opprutuines for bigger plays

5. We need some splash plays, credit Steelers for not allowing many today..but

6. If defenses are going to go with 2 deep safeties, we need to run.  No excuse today that we didn't take what Steelers gave us, which would have been 4-5 yard runs with Motor.  

7. Daboll did an excellent job last season, but no need to get too cute with the 3rd and 4th and shorts.  

8. It's OK to be pass heavy, but get more multiple with our formations.  Today, 4/5 wr empty sets was working at times.  But mix it up and keep the defense off balance.  Can't let a great def line pin their ears back all game

9. We need to get Josh deep ball accuracy to improve.  That's going to be a glaring issue in how teams defend us, if it continues.  1 game, so I'm only saying he needs to work on it and get it right soon

10. Finally, 1 game won't define this offense or team.  Steelers defense is still legit, and full of premium talent.  Have faith coaches this back on track in week 2

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Look we never ever run a screen or draw every defense is going to sit in a base nickel and dare us to run it’s not rocket science…if Josh isn’t 1985 John Elway every week we don’t score many points…even in a bad game the guy has 325 total yards of offense…he should not have to throw 51 times and be our best short yardage back for this team to win 

Josh was ok today.  Not good, not bad. 

He’s getting paid to be great.  

He can be just good sometimes.  

Can’t have too many more of these meh games though.   They will happen, but home opener, first game of the season, fresh off getting paid wasn’t the ideal time to have one. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

So, lately I’ve come to the conclusion that our WRs just aren’t elite enough. Outside of Diggs, I just don’t think w have that one go to receiver that can just take over a game. I love Beasley, Davis, and Sanders, but they just don’t have that game take over when you need it vibe. How many times have we seen rookie WRs come into the league now and make huge differences. Look at JaMarr Chase today, Davonta Smith, and Jefferson last year. How is it they come in and put up 100 yard games, but we can’t get that regularly out of Beasley and so on? We all know Allen is great, but something seems off. Burrows and Cousins seems to be doing more with less compared to Allen. 

Is it Daboll or the WRs we have? Cause it doesn’t feel like Allen is to blame. 

Maybe a TE would help…

• Agree 1

I feel like 4th down where Allen launched into double coverage to Davis summed up the offense today.  

McDermott, with no rhyme or reason decides to go for this one.  

Allen thinks he draws Pit Offside.  No flag.  Play looks completely disjointed.  Allen launches a 30 yard pass when we only need a few yards.  Davis gets lit up.  No chance.  Turnover on downs. 

2 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

The problem is today was a big boy game. Chiefs are a big boy game. Tampa Bay is a big boy game. If our WRs are fine, then Allen has to win these games with the talent around him. Allen missed a wide open Sanders today, which doesn’t help. I’m just trying to figure out where the problem is. I feel Allen should be performing better with the talent he does have in these tough match ups, which makes me think Daboll or our #2WR is the weakest link. 

The Rams and Seahawks were also a big boy game.

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

I feel like 4th down where Allen launched into double coverage to Davis summed up the offense today.  

Allen thinks he draws Pit Offside.  No flag.  Play looks completely disjointed.  Allen launches a 30 yard pass when we only need a few yards.  Davis gets lit up.  No chance.  Turnover on downs. 

What I don’t understand is we never attack the middle of the field. Slants don’t exist. Anything over the middle is a Beasley button hook or a curl. 

• Agree 1

Add the lack of screens, and even more head scratching, rollouts! Josh is one of the best QBs throwing on the run, and against a very good DL passrush, it slows it down.

Yet overall, many good calls, as WRs had drops, Josh had lots of missed throws or threw a tad too late which allowed the Steelers pass D to come back to break the passes. So overall, the gameplan was good enough to beat a team that was 12-4 last year. So I'll calm down and so should most of you ha ha. But the lack of pass rush and these omissions on offense are kind of weird.

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 1

How many times did we watch Big Ben throw it over the middle to JuJu, Claypool, or his TEs. Either Josh is afraid to throw these passes, or his WRs aren’t physical enough to win these throws, or Daboll isn’t play calling them. How many times do we watch Rodgers and Ryan throw slant after slant? I’m not sure who is to blame for this, because we rarely see it. Watching the Steelers passes today was night and day with route selections. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

3 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

When is McD going to slap some sense into Daboll and make him mix in lot more runs? Singletaeybhad, what 6.7 yards per carry and had 11 carries ??

I honestly hope Daboll leaves after this year. I think our offense could be even better than it is, which is a scary good thought. I think Daboll is holding us back. 

Edited by IronMaidenBills

20 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I feel like it was a sight snap by Morse.  Twice today Allen played liked he had an Offside on a hard count that was not.  I feel like Mcdermott is going to be with Daboll alot over the next 48 hours.  

Allen is fantastic.  Still Daboll needs to scheme up some easy plays.  Wrinkles the defense wasnt ready for.  The offense was the same thing from the second half of the game from last year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

I feel like it was a sight snap by Morse.  Twice today Allen played liked he had an Offside on a hard count that was not.  I feel like Mcdermott is going to be with Daboll alot over the next 48 hours.  

Allen is fantastic.  Still Daboll needs to scheme up some easy plays.  Wrinkles the defense wasnt ready for.  The offense was the same thing from the second half of the game from last year.

Yup.  That 4th down and the rushed end of quarter play.   Both times Allen clearly thought he had a free play.  

Just an all around disjointed day for the offense.  

Edited by SCBills

46 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I honestly for the life of me can’t understand why Daboll forgets like slants exist. It’s like he purposely tries to avoid them. 

Slants are manbeaters and teams do not play man against us except for the dolphins who we have roasted every time haha chiefs did too but they played suspiciously good man coverage 🤣

45 minutes ago, SCBills said:

They were clearly Offside...do qbs usually wait to see the flag come out before they throw it deep in situations like that? I'm not sure 

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They were clearly Offside...do qbs usually wait to see the flag come out before they throw it deep in situations like that? I'm not sure 

Seems like QBs are usually pretty sure.  

Can’t remember seeing what happened today, happen too often.  

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

Let's pump the breaks a little bit here lol.

You want to say he had a bad game? I would agree with you.

But let's not panic here... 1 bad game against a great defence when his o line struggled.

If it's like that after week 4? 

Then ya it's a different story

Partly true. However, it's really more than one game. The offensive shortcomings go back to the playoff games too. I think this team will beat bad to mediocre teams but struggle to win against quality opponents. That's assuming the Bills offense continues to run a similar offense. It's too predictable.