What I did and didn't like vs Steelers

GreggTX

Just now, Rc2catch said:

If Knox is gonna get roasted for every drop he should at least get a good mention for securing his targets today and making some decent runs after. 

He did catch every pass thrown to him today.

Maybe that's why we lost. :o

• Haha (+1) 2

Dawkins looked really bad today. I thought he was hurt. Franchise LTs don't allow that type of pressure.

Been saying for 2 years now Wallace is a big liability. He's not a starting caliber CB and opposing teams know this. Spending money on Sanders instead of a quality CB is gonna hurt us.

2 minutes ago, blackngolddigger said:

Yep, seemed to me like anytime he held the ball at all, there was pressure of some sort.  The Bills certainly aren't an elite pass rush team, but they seem to get pressure when the opportunity was there against the Steelers untested OL.

Fair point. My emphasis was more like we need these young DE's to take the reins. Daddy Hughes and Grampa Addison were the ones bringing the heat.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Josh needs to get the ball out fast like that.  His receivers are much better

If you want your season to end like the Steelers' season last year, absolutely.

He's mobile enough to hold it longer to let the receivers get open and deeper.   He should continue to get better at knowing when to get rid of it quicker.

He was only sacked 3 times on 52 attempts behind a line that was getting dominated.  Ben probably would have been sacked 6-8 times even with a quick release the way the Bills O-line was getting pushed around.

Even with the Steelers inexperienced O-line, they'd probably be SB favorites with a QB like Allen or a younger Ben.

Both teams really need to use or develop their running game just to the point of being average.

• Like (+1) 1

meh,  im still not sour on Levi,   dood does more than enough to justify being the #2 CB for this team.    i know many have wanted him gone for years,   nobody seems to be able to beat him out tho to replace him.   barring a very high first round CB selection or a high $$$$ FA CB signing,  both of which are not really feasible for this team currently, there isnt much out there to replace him.   overall Levi plays just fine,  today he got burned twice,  each time he had above average coverage on the reciever.   things happen.

both lines still worry me,  they were the reason we couldnt get past the Chiefs,  and they appear to be trending that same way again.

Edited by bigduke6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Our G play was atrocious today.  While I am not ready to pull the trigger in this yet, if the awful play continues, I am slipping Williams inside to G and I'm letting Brown work at RT.  I think he is one of our best 5 lineman and should be on the field, but he's too tall to play inside.  I think Williams could do real well at RG and I would be banking on Brown's natural ability and athleticism to pick up the NFL speed sooner than later.

Again, I am not ready to do it yet, but if our guards continue to get manhandled up front, I will be ready to try this.

6 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Good:

1) Defense (including Wallace— thought he had an okay game outside of the PI call). 

Bad

1) Going empty all game. That allows those steeler rushers to pin their ears back.

2) designed Josh Allen runs— just stop.

It was 5 OL vs 4 DL. Our OL should be able to block that up, it’s concerning that they couldn’t.

the Josh Allen runs won’t stop, it’s a threat especially in the red zone. The Stillers just did a really good job reading and stopping it.

29 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

It was poor game management by McD. Not an indictment overall.

Why is a 1st half, 4 and 1 a no-no, (which I know they would've got) but a 4th and 8 + 4th and 3 is ok in the 2nd after pitt scored both times?!

Because McD hasn't figured out that first downs and points count just as much in the first quarter as they do in the fourth!

He's an old school sort of coach, despite his relatively young age.

10 minutes ago, billsbackto81 said:

Dawkins looked really bad today. I thought he was hurt. Franchise LTs don't allow that type of pressure.

Been saying for 2 years now Wallace is a big liability. He's not a starting caliber CB and opposing teams know this. Spending money on Sanders instead of a quality CB is gonna hurt us.

Get used to it with Dawkins. His COVID battle cost him a lot of weight and strength and that isn’t going to be easy to get back in season. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, bigduke6 said:

meh,  im still not sour on Levi,   dood does more than enough to justify being the #2 CB for this team.    i know many have wanted him gone for years,   nobody seems to be able to beat him out tho to replace him.   barring a very high first round CB selection or a high $$$$ FA CB signing,  both of which are not really feasible for this team currently, there isnt much out there to replace him.   overall Levi plays just fine,  today he got burned twice,  each time he had above average coverage on the reciever.   things happen.

He made a mistake on the DPI. I thought he was in good coverage on the TD. Just good throw and good catch.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, sven233 said:

Our G play was atrocious today.  While I am not ready to pull the trigger in this yet, if the awful play continues, I am slipping Williams inside to G and I'm letting Brown work at RT.  I think he is one of our best 5 lineman and should be on the field, but he's too tall to play inside.  I think Williams could do real well at RG and I would be banking on Brown's natural ability and athleticism to pick up the NFL speed sooner than later.

Again, I am not ready to do it yet, but if our guards continue to get manhandled up front, I will be ready to try this.

Guard play was atrocious and outside of the Williams move or making a trade, I’m not too sure there is much we can do.  The Bills rotated Ford, Feliciano, and Boettger today and they were all equally ineffective.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

If Knox is gonna get roasted for every drop he should at least get a good mention for securing his targets today and making some decent runs after. 

No doubt. Catching is still his issue, but he's just fine after the catch, especially that late 1st down pickup.

• Like (+1) 1