Four plays that made the difference

Xwnyer

18 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I disagree.  Allen was good but not great today.  He accounted for 314 of Buffalo's 371 yards.  The o-line was terrible and that had a big impact on Allen and the passing game.  How many holds - 5 or 6?

As for big plays that we didn't make I'll throw out these two:

1) After the Bills fell behind 13 - 10 Allen threw a great pass that Sanders dropped.  That was a 35 yard gain we missed out on.

2) On 3rd & 3 on the drive we had that bizarre 4th down ply the Bills handed the ball to Brida and the blocking was pretty good.  He only gained 2 yards though. Most NFL RB's would have gained a 1st down on the run. We missed Moss on that play.

One could argue that the Sanders drop was the biggest play, or one of the biggest, considering it’s probably at least 3 points AND there is no blocked punt for the TD the other way. 

Granted, Josh missing Sanders was a huge one as well. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

One could argue that the Sanders drop was the biggest play, or one of the biggest, considering it’s probably at least 3 points AND there is no blocked punt for the TD the other way. 

Granted, Josh missing Sanders was a huge one as well. 

Sanders didn't "drop" that. Allen was late on his throw and set him up to get stripped. Sanders raised his hand 10 yards into the route, signaling he was open, and Allen waited too long before delivering, hitting him just as he entered a window with two defenders. The moment it hit has hands, the defender was right there in perfect position to strip it. That ball had to be delivered sooner. You know what they say about "throwing your receivers open"? That was a case of "throwing your receivers into covered." 

Edited by dave mcbride

11 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Sanders didn't "drop" that. Allen was late on his throw and set him up to get stripped. Sanders raised his hand 10 yards into the route, signaling he was open, and Allen waited too long before delivering, hitting him just as he entered a window with two defenders. The moment it hit has hands, the defender was right there in perfect position to strip it. That ball had to be delivered sooner. You know what they say about "throwing your receivers open"? That was a case of "throwing your receivers into covered." 

He needs to catch that. It’s why he was brought here. The ball was a little late but IMO he catches the ball and it’s not stripped. 

4 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

He needs to catch that. It’s why he was brought here. The ball was a little late but IMO he catches the ball and it’s not stripped. 

Honestly, I hate that "he needs to catch it" line. The QB set up the receiver to fail, plain and simple. Watch it again -- the DB is in perfect position to swat it hard and downward immediately after it arrives. That's an extremely difficult for any receiver to make. Don't get me wrong, I love Allen, and that was to be fair an accurate throw. But he has to recognize the coverage and where the WR is going to end up. He just played poorly yesterday; he'll play better in the future. 

22 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

HARD NO.

WR's need to make that play.

Claypool, Juju and Johnson all made tougher catches in the second half. 

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

HARD NO.

WR's need to make that play.

Claypool, Juju and Johnson all made tougher catches in the second half. 

I totally disagree. That was a significantly tougher catch than the ones you list given that the defender was primed, ready, and most importantly able to actually ATTACK the ball with a striking downward motion; it's not like he was off his feet and tangled up with a receiver on a jump ball. On none of the plays you mention were the Bills defenders in a position to violently attack it. It amazes me that people think that's an easily makeable play.

Edited by dave mcbride

9 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

The White int non int changed the game and Buff never recovered from it whereas Pitt took off after it.

We were up 10-6, early in the 4th quarter, when we decided to run the worst 4th and short play ever created.  

Instead of converting on a qb sneak (or any other normal play), and having 1st down on the edge of FG range, PIT took over around midfield.  

If Allen doesn't throw the ball into the turf when Beasley had a screen set up in front of him, that drive likely ends up in points. 

*Point being, that play was way too early to say it changed the game.  Our offense squandered multiple opportunities to take back control of the game.   This isn't even counting Sanders drop/pbu on the seam route. 

37 minutes ago, Big Gun said:

The White int non int changed the game and Buff never recovered from it whereas Pitt took off after it.

This play single handedly changed the entire game.  I never blame the refs, but this was BS on so many levels.  First, there was no defensive holding, but what was also not called on this play was Jerry Hughes clearly getting held on what should have been a sack (I have watched this play so many times - it is text book holding).  IMO, had the Bills had the takeaway, the ball at midfield and the momentum of TD drive at the end of the half, we would have marched down the field and scored.  It would have taken the life out of Pittsburgh and game would have been over.  

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Dog, this pass HAS to be thrown sooner. It should be hitting him in the hands as he gets past the sticks. As I said, throwing him into covered: 

Just now, Kelly the Dog said:

Easy catch. He catches it clean the tomahawk doesn’t work

Oh man. I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. There is a huge hole in the zone early on. That's where you hit him. There's a reason he waved his hand. You adjust to what the zone presents to you, and Allen, who is a great player, did not in this instance. Instead, he waited to make the longer throw, into a defended zone. But go ahead, blame the receiver rather than analyzing the decision making.  

5 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Oh man. I feel like I'm talking to a brick wall. There is a huge hole in the zone early on. That's where you hit him. There's a reason he waved his hand. You adjust to what the zone presents to you, and Allen, who is a great player, did not in this instance. Instead, he waited to make the longer throw, into a defended zone. But go ahead, blame the receiver rather than analyzing the decision making.  

That may be true but that is not the play that happened. The play that actually happened was an easily caught ball. Right in his hands. Split second to secure it before hit.

• Disagree 1

16 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

That may be true but that is not the play that happened. The play that actually happened was an easily caught ball. Right in his hands. Split second to secure it before hit.

If you really want to get into the nitty gritty, it wasn't well placed either. Allen put it in a spot -- slightly outside and behind -- where the defender had a very easy opportunity to make a play rather than throwing it to the inside and further ahead where it becomes significantly harder to defend for that player. Of course, he may have been absolutely blown up by the other DB if that happened, but that just tells you that he threw it too late because it was double coverage by that point after being wide open a few yards earlier. But I know you -- you still probably blame Sammy for not making a finger-tip circus catch on Tyrod's high throw vs. NE in 2015 (yes, I remember that argument). You are a receiver blamer! :)

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Haha (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Coach55 said:

This play single handedly changed the entire game.  I never blame the refs, but this was BS on so many levels.  First, there was no defensive holding, but what was also not called on this play was Jerry Hughes clearly getting held on what should have been a sack (I have watched this play so many times - it is text book holding).  IMO, had the Bills had the takeaway, the ball at midfield and the momentum of TD drive at the end of the half, we would have marched down the field and scored.  It would have taken the life out of Pittsburgh and game would have been over.  

I thought the same thing about the hold on Hughes.  Where did you find the replay?  I couldn’t find it…