Four plays that made the difference

Xwnyer

3 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

Many mistakes and poor execution but there are 4 plays that absolutely had an impact on the outcome of this game.  

First is 3 and 2 and we try the cute flee flicker that a great defensive play stopped credit to Steelers but maybe playnactionor a run may have yielded better resukts

4 and 1 and WTF was that play call?  The motion by the receiver pulled the DB into a position to make the play versus putting them out of position.  How many times have we seen Brady pick up that yard with a straight dive.   

the defensive holding on white on the INT all I saw on replay was a brush of the jersey 

The Pi on Wallace sure he didn't turn his head but he reply never made contact with the guy.

:(  Think you might want to visit the eye doctor.

Completely agree on the 1st two.  Holding on the Int could go either way.

Edited by Ed_Formerly_of_Roch

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

The DB stripped the ball. Great defensive play, not a drop. If we're talking about the same play.

Sure it was a great play by the Steeler DB but when you get two hands on the ball you can't let the DB strip it.  Earlier in the game White made just as good a play on the ball but the Steeler receiver didn't drop the ball.  That would have been a huge catch at that point in the game.

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, Steptide said:

I agree on the white interception. That was a bs call. Could've potentially changed the game. Who knows 

No Tre White did hold him out of his break BUT by the time Ben made the throw and the receiver got to his spot it was not PI

On that punt block Tyler Matakevich let Steelers defender #28 Miles Killebrew  clean through with a rip move and I have no idea who Jaquan Johnson was trying to block and also let #28 in a 2nd line of defense

Allen is without a doubt one of the best QBs in the league. Bad QB performance or not, the OC needs to recognize what is and what isn’t working with in game adjustments. Daboll rarely does. If you see Josh is under duress, call some screens or designed rollouts. It’s inexcusable on Daboll’s part and he infuriates me more than anyone during this game. I honestly hope we replace him. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Xwnyer said:

4 and 1 and WTF was that play call?  The motion by the receiver pulled the DB into a position to make the play versus putting them out of position.  How many times have we seen Brady pick up that yard with a straight dive.   

Years ago on the WGR postgame show with The Coach Chuck Dickerson, a caller termed a phrase that The Coach adopted "4th and stupid"  That's the 1st thing I thought on that play-4th and stupid!

4 minutes ago, IronMaidenBills said:

Allen is without a doubt one of the best QBs in the league. Bad QB performance or not, the OC needs to recognize what is and what isn’t working with in game adjustments. Daboll rarely does. If you see Josh is under duress, call some screens or designed rollouts. It’s inexcusable on Daboll’s part and he infuriates me more than anyone during this game. I honestly hope we replace him. 

How about with time running down , even tho he finally called some runs and motor had some success since Pitt was playing soft prevent then, Daboll decides to never call ONE PLAY WITH ANYONE IN THE ENDZONE OR ANY PASSES TO THE ENDZONE.  HE  called runs and short passes that kept the clock running.  It was either stupidity, stubbornness, or lack of awareness.  It was another classic Daboll moment.   For all his good design of the o at times , it’s hard to ignore his inability to design or use any run game and it’s hard to ignore his inability to adjust during games ( like the kc games) and it’s hard to ignore those cute moments like that 4 th down play like today that turned the momentum around.  Maybe we are seeing why he still isn’t a head coach: maybe those in the field see trends we may ignore as fans.  Hope he turns things around because this crap today was exactly how we got beaten last year by KC twice and Tennessee as well.   

5 minutes ago, DrPJax said:

How about with time running down , even tho he finally called some runs and motor had some success since Pitt was playing soft prevent then, Daboll decides to never call ONE PLAY WITH ANYONE IN THE ENDZONE OR ANY PASSES TO THE ENDZONE.  HE  called runs and short passes that kept the clock running.  It was either stupidity, stubbornness, or lack of awareness.  It was another classic Daboll moment.   For all his good design of the o at times , it’s hard to ignore his inability to design or use any run game and it’s hard to ignore his inability to adjust during games ( like the kc games) and it’s hard to ignore those cute moments like that 4 th down play like today that turned the momentum around.  Maybe we are seeing why he still isn’t a head coach: maybe those in the field see trends we may ignore as fans.  Hope he turns things around because this crap today was exactly how we got beaten last year by KC twice and Tennessee as well.   

It’s Daboll, he is the weakest link along with 2CB. Look what McVay does with Stafford, look what Shanahan does with Garoppolo. Imagine if they had Allen to work with. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, IronMaidenBills said:

I cant say a qb rollout wouldn't have worked but does anyone really have any confidence that we could execute an effective screen pass that game.  It relies on a ton of blocking and it's not like the steelers were running any man blitzes. 

The miss to Sanders, there is no excuse, he is literally getting paid a quarter billion $$$ to THROW a football, the margin for error is slim to none.  Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Brees, those guys (in their primes) are now the standard Josh should and will be held too.  I think Josh must be a little in his head right now- The extension, the expectations, the preseason MVP hype, fans back in the stands.  I expect he will find his way sooner rather than later.

As off as Josh was today, Daboll's gameplan did 17 no favors.  It's almost as if Daboll's pride won't let him move past the AFC Title game, as he called basically the same exact offense and abandoned any kind of legitimate rushing attack. Just arrogance and pride getting in the way of common sense. No reason not to run the ball when they are consistently daring you with extra DBs on the field. 

Piss poor performances all around on offense- Daboll, Allen, OL execution/holding penalities, Drops... just bad. 

The team needs to take a note from Ted Lasso, all be goldfish...then squish the fish.

18 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Let me add one. Air mailing Sanders on a walk in TD already up 10-0. 

Ill add one more.  As the Steelers were moving in to kick their final field goal. they were at our 40.  I think it was 3rd and 5, Claypool lines up in the slot on the left of the OL and Taron Johnson is over him.  They run crossers and Hyde mistakenly follows Tre De and his guy from deep left of the D across to his right where the other safety was.   Triple coverage on Tre De's guy while Taron is left one on one with their stud WR and it is an easy first down.

Bad play by a good player but that one really hurt