What exactly was that 4th down play supposed to be?

LabattBlue

1 hour ago, reddogblitz said:

Watch here at 1:18.  Looks like almost the exact same play. Drew and Willis ran it better.

When they ran it I immediately thought of this play.   I remember it vividly cuz I was at that game.

I recalled it immediately too and posted the video in another thread on here.

it only worked on the Seattle game because Seattle sold out to stop the sneak. The Steelers didn’t and couldn’t because we were at like 4th and almost 2— they stayed disciplined in case we ran the ball.  So, I think it is a good play, but was not run in the right scenario today for it to work.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Too cute by Daboll.  Your O line has to be able to get you a yard.

Reading between the lines of McDermott’s postgame presser, I think that’s where he is.  He said “I need to do better” as though his mouth hurt.

I think Daboll earned the right to be left alone to call plays last season, but I think McDermott is gonna be having a “heartfelt chat” with him

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ya Digg? said:

I remember they pulled that play YEARS ago with Bledsoe and McGahee and it worked for a huge gain and a touchdown….I’ve seen it tried a couple times since then and it has always gone terribly 

Yep. When I saw a replay I thought the same thing. Looked like a genius play in a blowout win at SEA that year. I’ll take josh on a 1 yard plunge for a first in that situation. Just get to the line quick, snap and go. 

Interesting piece from the Athletic on the Steelers anticipating that call......

Tomlin and his staff noticed the Bills ran several fullback dives during the preseason and figured a complement would be for them to pitch the ball outside to a speed back. They practiced that scenario, and it came to fruition at the most critical of times.

“That is something that we anticipated,” Tomlin said. “They got in that formation a bunch, four or five times in the preseason. We figured the next phase of it would be to fake it to the fullback and flip that ball out to them. We talked about it, but you can’t take anything away from Cam Sutton for making that play.”

“They put some fullback on tape early in the year, and recognizing the play, trying to get the speed guy out in space,” Sutton said.

11 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yes, that Seattle game, but IIRC it was a much tighter formation there.  This looked to me like an option pass.

It looked like Gilliam was also back there to maybe pass block but by the time he saw the DB it was too late.

I mean all around it was a horrible play call but why would you motion McKenzie across and bring his defender to the side you are trying to run to? And unsurprisingly the defender that was covering McKenzie made the stop on the play.

Just burn it.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

15 hours ago, No_Matter_What said:

The other one was much worse. This looked like bad playcall in hindsight, but McD's decision to play 4&8 with no offensive rhythm instead of trying 53y FG after he didn't go for two shorter ones was extremely bad decision. I don't remember him making worse in game decision.

The wind was so strong against the kick I doubt he makes it from 53. I was at the game

Edited by MarkyMannn

5 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

The play would have worked but the guy that Gilliam was supposed to block (Sutton) was already 7 yards in the backfield by the time Gilliam got into blocking position. 

So in summary they tried a cute play to get Brieda to the outside

Spencer Brown also missed his block, a big wiff on Ingram.

5 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

The play would have worked but the guy that Gilliam was supposed to block (Sutton) was already 7 yards in the backfield by the time Gilliam got into blocking position. 

So in summary they tried a cute play to get Brieda to the outside

Gilliam was "watching" Josh as part of the fake, so he was steps behind against a faster player. Coupled with Brieda getting outside faster because he didn't watch and making the block more difficult it really was a hot mess. Plus you're running it at Sutton, who made a lot of plays Sunday.