What exactly was that 4th down play supposed to be?

LabattBlue

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

I think the plan was to take your best players off the field and throw the ball 7 yards behind the line of scrimmage to make getting 1 yard as difficult as possible 

You can never understand the genius that is Daboll.  He once stood next to next Saban and BB for extended periods of time!

It was 10-6.  Our defense was playing great.  An attempt to punt and pin them inside the 10 would be conservative but would have a much higher percentage for success  than the ill fated backwards pass option. 

Our man in motion brought the defender into the play to make an easy read and a stop for a loss.  I think our back had the option to either run or pass.  It was a slow developing stupid play.  

A single RB and two TE formation might have been a nice look.  Could be a sneak, or a dive play to the RB, or a fake run and then throw to a tall TE target.  Anything but what we did. 

Edited by Bob in STL

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

I hated the design of that play the moment it started.

Not the right call for that scenario.  Too many moving parts, too reliant on luck and things working as planned.

On a big 4th and 1, Josh should line up under center, and do a QB sneak right over the center.

You know, the play Tom Brady has pulled off 1,000 times in his career.

It's boring, but it works.  And Josh is a huge, strong, tall guy with long arms.

That would be a much smarter play over a large sample of snaps than the crap we saw today.

This!

2 hours ago, BTB said:

Help me out. 

At first I thought it looked like McKenzie was going to turn up field and Brieda was going to be able to throw it to him. It got blown up really quickly but McKenzie never turned up field either so idk. I hope we don't see it again I know that. I also know that when McKenzies man didn't follow him through the formation Josh should have called time out because he wasn't accounted for in the blocking.

49 minutes ago, Mr. K said:

Piss everyone off only because it did not work.

It's being cute in a tight game where cute wasn't called for. You have one of the best 4rh and one QBs in football and your offense is struggling. Take the first down and move on.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Like (+1) 1

I think the idea was to get them all focused on a QB sneak and find a way to get the ball outside everyone with a guy with speed.  It did not work out, move on.

Just now, mattynh said:

I think the idea was to get them all focused on a QB sneak and find a way to get the ball outside everyone with a guy with speed.  It did not work out, a lot of plays dont work out.   People want creativity, then when they get it and it does not work they want predictable conservative plays.  Cant have it both ways.  Win some lose some, the Steelers played great on defense.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Yes, that Seattle game, but IIRC it was a much tighter formation there.  This looked to me like an option pass.

Watch here at 1:18.  Looks like almost the exact same play. Drew and Willis ran it better.

When they ran it I immediately thought of this play.   I remember it vividly cuz I was at that game.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Thank you (+1) 1