9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How do you measure "most explosive" and where do you find the numbers?

I mostly remember us running (1,2) near the goal line with a lot of block/leak out plays, but looking it up on Sharp, we ran 8% (91) plays out of that formation last season, which must be more than the goal line.

It was yards per play.

When you bring defenders into the box you create more space for your receivers downfield.

More space = RAC opportunities..........instead of every catch being followed by an immediate and violent tackle for no additional yardage.

They have spent a fortune on veteran WR's who specialize at getting separation..........boxing them in with 5 options in the pattern and flooding the field with pass defenders and getting them beaten to a pulp on short passes is not the best use of the $ and draft pick compensation expended on Diggs, Beasley and Sanders.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We still had time to throw deep some. We missed on those shots. Not that I think the gameplan on offense made a lot of sense yesterday but I wouldn't say bin the 4 and 5 wides totally on the basis of that. It still has a place in what we do. 

C'mon dude.........they allowed 24 pressures.........there wasn't much time to throw the ball downfield.

Daboll's solution to teams squatting on their empty backfield stuff is to hope that they can either dink and dunk their way efficiently thru it with perfect execution or make a very low % completion throw.    I pointed this out when the Packers backups got the Bills first string offense into 3rd and 20 two weeks ago and Allen had to make an other-worldly throw to Davis for the TD to prevent being stopped by scrubs.    

Empty backfield football is dink and dunk football............you can say it has a place........but that place is as a change of pace not as half of your ***** snaps.:lol:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

We still had time to throw deep some. We missed on those shots. Not that I think the gameplan on offense made a lot of sense yesterday but I wouldn't say bin the 4 and 5 wides totally on the basis of that. It still has a place in what we do. 

Seemed like they wanted to use McKenzie a lot early, then after he got hurt it seemed like Knox was on the field. I'm sure that changed the game plan some.

20 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

How great the steelers defense played the Bills played as good or better.  Buffalo won Time of possession, Total yards, passing yards, rushing yards, offense ran more plays.  1 turnover didn't make or break the game.  The penalties and 4th down decisions decided the football game.  The backwards pass, the not Offside but played like it was hurt.  Couple tweeks and Buffalo will be fine.  

this stat means nothing

2 minutes ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Seemed like they wanted to use McKenzie a lot early, then after he got hurt it seemed like Knox was on the field. I'm sure that changed the game plan some.

They had McKenzie in the backfield early - that's true. But if they were planning to use him as a pass catcher out of the backfield then once he got hurt why no Breida? what was Breida dressed for in that case?

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

They had McKenzie in the backfield early - that's true. But if they were planning to use him as a pass catcher out of the backfield then once he got hurt why no Breida? what was Breida dressed for in that case?

I thought I saw McKenzie lined up outside too, don't know if Breida is prepared to do that so I assume that is why he did not replace McKenzie. Seemed like Daboll was more comfortable with the plays built around Knox instead to me. I don't know how he blocked, but I thought Knox played ok.

23 minutes ago, Mat68 said:

How great the steelers defense played the Bills played as good or better.  Buffalo won Time of possession, Total yards, passing yards, rushing yards, offense ran more plays.  1 turnover didn't make or break the game.  The penalties and 4th down decisions decided the football game.  The backwards pass, the not Offside but played like it was hurt.  Couple tweeks and Buffalo will be fine.  

Yeah Buffalo dominated them statistically but by the same token the Bills defense got a MAJOR assist from the crowd.    It was deafening at times.  On a neutral field the Steelers have much more success moving the football, IMO.    It was a terrible waste of a huge homefield advantage.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah Buffalo dominated them statistically but by the same token the Bills defense got a MAJOR assist from the crowd.    It was deafening at times.  On a neutral field the Steelers have much more success moving the football, IMO.    It was a terrible waste of a huge homefield advantage.

The Steelers' receivers made contested catches.  Their offense plays with an attitude like few offenses do.  (Not sure ours does.)  Also, as I've said elsewhere, the irony is that both offenses came into the game facing similar problems: weak offensive lines against strong fronts (and in the Steelers' case, crowd noise).  The Steelers schemed well enough for it, the Bills did not.  The Steelers used quick sideways WR screens to evade the Bills' front 7 and take advantage of their over-aggressiveness; they also kept backs and TEs in to help block.  The Bills went five wide and trusted their WRs to beat their matchups and Allen to make quick throws (something he gets too jacked up and impatient to do at times).  Daboll got completely out-schemed by a rookie OC.  

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because somebody has to play the role of TJ Yeldon! The staff just  has not quite figured that out yet this offseason. Hoping they can get that right after week one. Right now Moss may be the front runner with a comparable performance in street clothes. But the way the staff did not use Breida situationally suggests that he may be able to win that job.

They may go the course of TJ Yeldon by committee. It will be interesting to see how this situation evolves as the season progresses. But one thing is for sure, and that is neither Breida nor Moss are taking this battle lightly.  

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

None of the linemen were good but Feliciano was especially atrocious. 

But based on that, Boettger was nearly as bad and he's listed as the backup for both LG & RG on the depth chart.  Who else is there?  Practice squad?

21 minutes ago, goober said:

But based on that, Boettger was nearly as bad and he's listed as the backup for both LG & RG on the depth chart.  Who else is there?  Practice squad?

Kick Williams inside, play Brown at RT.

Dawkins - Ford - Feliciano/Morse - Williams - Brown

Feliciano/Morse is backup C.  Bates, backup G/T.  Doyle swing tackle.  Hope Anderson develops into something at G, quickly.  

We obviously won't overreact to one game against a great DL and shuffle the line, but this is now two games in a row if we count the Chiefs AFCCG. 

If we witness another game this year where the OL is dominated like they were Sunday, something has to change, because we can't be sabotaging our entire season, and the franchise future (Allen) because Beane has a blind spot at IOL. 

Edited by SCBills

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Oh *****, that was a freakin’ Hospital Throw to Davis.  Yikes.  But that’s also a total Block Fail by Dawkins.

In addition, Singletary (I think) is totally clueless about who to block, as most of the line is pushed back behind him.

I don’t think it’s disputable that it didn’t work today

And it appears my eyes weren’t misleading me in thinking it was employed excessively

That said

The Bills used it the second-most in the league last year (15% 4 WR sets) and had an excellent offense most of the year

One wonders why they would do so, if it’s intrinsically ineffective

It’s certainly gonna be ineffective when your OL can’t block at all against 3 and 4 DL rush

Edit: meant to quote Badolbillz here.

way to early to say. Did we run 4  and 5 receiver sets yesterday at significantly higher rate then we did last year? Are those numbers out yet? I still recall a lot of 11 personnel yesterday. We at least need the actual personnel play counts to make a decision. And even then it’s one game against what is typically a great defense likely again this year.

Allen also threw into tripple  coverage in the intermediate to deep range too often yesterday it seemed. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib