9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

18 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Joe B pointed this out in his post-game recap on The Athletic. We ran 4 WR sets on 33.3% of our snaps today, and 5 WR sets on 11.5% of our snaps. On 4 WR sets we gained just 4.69 yards per play; on 5 WR sets we gained -0.22 yards per play. No that negative sign is not a typo. Every defensive coordinator in the NFL knows that's what we want our offense to be and Tomlin has had a whole offseason to prepare for it.

That’s a ton of 4 WR sets and possibly underestimates the amount of empty backfields since it seems to me I saw Singletary and Knox split wide quite a bit - especially Singletary.

Just curious how every defensive coordinator in the NFL knows that’s what we want our offense to be?

Last season we ran (1,1) with 3 WR 70% of the time, (1,0) with 4 WR 15% of the time, and 5 WR 1% of the time, so that much 4 and 5 WR sets is a change from last season.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I'm so glad we spent so much time talking about that in the pre-season too.

Which eliminates the possibility of pass interference also. slightly underthrown is better than slightly over thrown and Josh either doesn't get that or can't do it.

An underthrow could be an absolute disaster though too depending on how the DB has it played...an overthrow is much safer usually on a deep ball.  I think most of that was not having the game reps with sanders yet...Josh probably got the ball where he wanted it 

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

1st and Goal at the 10.   

Down 10.  

Still anyone’s game if we get a TD.  

Run. Run.  Pass to the RB in the flat.  

What the literal **** was this!? 

Josh Allen, these WR’s and Dawson Knox and we don’t make one throw, of our 5 billion throws, into the end zone in this moment of the game!??

Someone make this make sense. 

Daboll's brain was stuck in traffic.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Last season we ran (1,1) with 3 WR 70% of the time, (1,0) with 4 WR 15% of the time, and 5 WR 1% of the time, so that much 4 and 5 WR sets is a change from last season.

When you spend off-season money on Emmanuel Sanders, don't address the running game, and don't address your interior line it sort of tips people off as to what you want to do. Their best 5 players on offense are WRs. That's not a good thing but it's reality. When they take a WR off they are downgrading the talent on the field. None of their TEs is remotely as good as the WR who would come on.  None of their RBs are remotely as good as the WR they could try to throw to instead. Again, this is not a positive thing.  They would be better off with less assets invested in WR and a little more in interior OL and be a better football team.

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I don’t disagree that Daboll is a loser masked by great QBs, but that’s still not making Singletary a good back.

That’s overly harsh, after all it is a game, and not real life, I maintain that you are mistaken in your assessment of Singletary, he not Thurmond Thomas for sure, but he is a good RB who is chronically misused by s guy who doesn’t know how to use RBs in his offensive schemes, it’s only one game, and it will act as a wake up call imo, 

that and I never referred to BD as a loser, that’s your verbiage not mine. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

2 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

When you spend off-season money on Emmanuel Sanders, don't address the running game, and don't address your interior line it sort of tips people off as to what you want to do. Their best 5 players on offense are WRs. That's not a good thing but it's reality. When they take a WR off they are downgrading the talent on the field. None of their TEs is remotely as good as the WR who would come on.  None of their RBs are remotely as good as the WR they could try to throw to instead. Again, this is not a positive thing.  They would be better off with less assets invested in WR and a little more in interior OL and be a better football team.

Ironically, Knox and Singletary were the most impressive playmakers out there today …. In their limited touches. 

39 minutes ago, SCBills said:

1st and Goal at the 10.   

Down 10.  

Still anyone’s game if we get a TD.  

Run. Run.  Pass to the RB in the flat.  

What the literal **** was this!? 

Josh Allen, these WR’s and Dawson Knox and we don’t make one throw, of our 5 billion throws, into the end zone in this moment of the game!??

Someone make this make sense. 

I can't.  

You can't build on from last year's pass first pass early pass often offense by doing it even more and now going 4 or 5 wide almost half the game.......then decide you can pound the ball in once you get to the 10 with an oline and RB that can't run it well consistently enough and running that ridiculous 4th and 1 play was proof even our OC doesn't believe we can run it when we need it - at least against a D like this.  

At least keep them spread out with 3 or 4 wide.  And keep doing what you do - throw the ball.  

Edited by Big Blitz

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

The scheme worked josh just had a bad game...idk if that makes people feel better or worse 🤣 there were open receivers all game that either dropped the ball or were overthrown or he just straight up didn't see

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The scheme worked josh just had a bad game...idk if that makes people feel better or worse 🤣 there were open receivers all game that either dropped the ball or were overthrown or he just straight up didn't see

Agreed that Allen didn't have a good game, but the O-Line had a worse game and that confuses things a bit. 

Not apologizing for Allen at all, he needs to be better, but adding some context to his poor performance.

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m not a fan of the empty backfield.  But was it really dink-n-dunk that was the problem?  

30 completions for 270 yds is 9 yards per completion.  Seems to me the low YPA was a function of the unusually low (compared to last year) % of completions.

In his postgame presser, Allen said he was “too aggressive” and needed to take more “easy stuff” to have it work out better.  I can’t tell, watching from the network broadcast, but it wouldn’t surprise me if on many of those plays, there was a check down option available and Allen was extending the play looking for the Kill Shot.

Allen's lack of patience and trying to do too much is definitely a thing he just has to correct as most teams have decided to play him this way with 2 and 3 deep coverage shells.

Some pretty spotty pass-pro today against mostly 4-man rushes, but we really did not do much to shore up our oline in the offseason.

I do have hope for Spencer Brown's development at tackle over time, but the interior could use upgrades.

Playing in front of a big home crowd and the Steelers rush creating a dirty pocket -  forcing Josh off his spot and messing with his timing, amped up his frustration level.

I thought for the most part our defense played pretty well and just had a few costly miscues. They should trend even better this year.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Bruffalo said:

Agreed that Allen didn't have a good game, but the O-Line had a worse game and that confuses things a bit. 

Not apologizing for Allen at all, he needs to be better, but adding some context to his poor performance.

Oh yea I agree I dont really care who anybody blames for the loss 🤣 I just think the evidence shows this game is more likely to be an outlier than anything.  This whole 'the other team knows we're running 4 wr sets' thing is going overboard though because there are tons of options out of even an empty set with a mobile qb 

1 minute ago, WideNine said:

Allen's lack of patience and trying to do too much is definitely a thing he just has to correct as most teams have decided to play him this way with 2 and 3 deep coverage shells.

Some pretty spotty pass-pro today against mostly 4-man rushes, but we really did not do much to shore up our oline in the offseason.

I do have hope for Spencer Brown's development at tackle over time, but the interior could use upgrades.

Playing in front of a big home crowd and the Steelers rush creating a dirty pocket -  forcing Josh off his spot and messing with his timing, amped up his frustration level.

I thought for the most part our defense played pretty well and just had a few costly miscues. They should trend even better this year.

This is def true...at least it looked like he only forced balls into double coverage when we shouldve had free plays but he goes for the home run when there's receivers open for modest gains pretty often 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

15 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

That’s overly harsh, after all it is a game, and not real life, I maintain that you are mistaken in your assessment of Singletary, he not Thurmond Thomas for sure, but he is a good RB who is chronically misused by s guy who doesn’t know how to use RBs in his offensive schemes, it’s only one game, and it will act as a wake up call imo, 

that and I never referred to BD as a loser, that’s your verbiage not mine. 

Go Bills!!!

Oh I take full responsibility for calling Daboll a loser, his history shows as much, the only time he has ever done anything is with top 5 QBs and generally he excels vs weaker competition.  Against D’s that don’t suck, even with great QBs, he’s always struggled, but his QB play has managed to cover him.   The playoffs and as well as every game against top flight D’s, like today, exposed him.

2 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Oh I take full responsibility for calling Daboll a loser, his history shows as much, the only time he has ever done anything is with top 5 QBs and generally he excels vs weaker competition.  Against D’s that don’t suck, even with great QBs, he’s always struggled, but his QB play has managed to cover him.   The playoffs and as well as every game against top flight D’s, like today, exposed him.

How do you separate what the qb should get credit for from what the OC should get credit for though especially in a game like today.  Really everyone excels against bad competition and struggles against better defenses lol that's what makes them statistically good defenses.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

The end of the day there isn’t but maybe 2 or 3 defenses that can do what the Steelers just did to the Bills. Without Tuitt by the way. 

As much as everyone wants to talk Watt and he deserves it. Casey Heywood is what makes that defense go. 

he abused every Bills OG they put him against. And when Bills where able to get their long drives Heywood was out or doubled. 

That may be true but to get to the super bowl we have to beat those 2 or 3 teams. 

4 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think the whole offseason approach is frustrating…. No sense of urgency at all basically just bring the same gang back and go out it again…. The same problems we saw last year look to be the same ones this year. Big shocker. 

What were the problems last season that happened today?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

What were the problems last season that happened today?

Levi Wallace getting picked on.  

The interior of our line getting rag dolled…. This time with the added bonus of our tackles struggling too. 

No balance on offense, whatsoever.  I’m fine throwing it every play, but when it’s not working, maybeee try to switch it up.  

Just now, SCBills said:

Levi Wallace getting picked on.  

The interior of our line getting rag dolled…. This time with the added bonus of our tackles struggling too. 

No balance on offense, whatsoever.  I’m fine throwing it every play, but when it’s not working, maybeee try to switch it up.  

Agree with this overall although Levi & Josh will have a bounce back game IMO this week. Our Oline struggles to the extent they happened today was surprising. Better fix that as priority 1 this week. Sit Feliciano?