9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

34 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m not a fan of the empty backfield.  But was it really dink-n-dunk that was the problem?  

30 completions for 270 yds is 9 yards per completion.  Seems to me the low YPA was a function of the unusually low (compared to last year) % of completions.

In his postgame presser, Allen said he was “too aggressive” and needed to take more “easy stuff” to have it work out better.  I can’t tell, watching from the network broadcast, but it wouldn’t surprise me if on many of those plays, there was a check down option available and Allen was extending the play looking for the Kill Shot.

Empty makes sense from time to time.  In tempo use differant formations to get the matchups you want.  They are playing 5 or 6 dbs go under center run and play action.  They go bigger spread them out.  It looks like Daboll is just spamming plays he thinks works without a set up or a purpose.

Edited by Mat68
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, eball said:

Yes, and teams always play exactly as they did in week one in week sixteen. Carry on. 

You can stay in your fantasy world, but this team has played relatively the same for the last 4 games all against very good defenses. What ever they did to improve had little effect. We’ll see where we stand after week 17, I would venture to say KC will still give us fits, as well as any team with a good aggressive D that can pressure without blitzing. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The reason Daboll got so much attention from national pundits last year is that a lot of outside observers think he took a bad QB in Allen and made him produce at an elite level. When I've always felt the exact opposite is the case. He has a maddening habit of refusing to make changes when things aren't working. If the other team is consistently getting pressure with 4, bring in extra blockers. Set up screens. Run play action to open up quick throwing windows. We saw none of that today. Every pass play was shotgun empty and Pittsburgh countered it with simple zone coverages and rushing 4. I don't mind that the offense struggled a bit early on, but by the 2nd half we should have figured it out and instead the offense got worse. That's on Daboll.

We’ve had a handful of struggling offensive games under Daboll.   All against good teams.  

Chiefs x2 2020

Titans 2020

Steelers 2021

Notice how we didn’t change anything against the Steelers 2020.  A game in which our offense struggled all first half.  We just did what we do, better.  

Seems to me, Daboll doesn’t adjust, he just thinks if we execute better, it won’t matter. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Titans 2020

Chiefs 2020 x2

Steelers 2021

All games where we got punched in the face. 

Problem is, our answer seems to be, just go what we do … but do it better….

See:  Steelers 2020, where we ran the same sets but plugged up Hayward’s penetration and got the ball to Diggs over and over. 

I agree with that sometimes our answer seems to be "i know your getting hammered but go be special josh, make magic happen." If anything I'm more worried about the continuation of our atrocious 3rd quarter play, not only did we not adjust but we came out looking flat after half like much of last year. At some point it's not coincidence, something needs to change about our 2nd halves.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Josh’s PC came as close as he’ll ever come to throwing others under the bus. Said he was “maybe feeling things around my feet” (o-line).  Asked about that 4th and 1 call and he said something like, “the coaches call the plays.”  Ouch.  Didn’t shy from his own bad play but I was surprised to hear both things out of his mouth.

Wonder why they didn't move the pocket? More rollouts? 

10 minutes ago, eball said:

Yes, and teams always play exactly as they did in week one in week sixteen. Carry on. 

Red flags though carried from last year:

-Pass rush non existent in 2nd half against a terrible makeshift o line

-CB2 still a huge issue

-Pass blocking- The last 3 games We have now seen ravens, chiefs and Steelers blow up their o line with basically rushing only 4.

No need to panic yet like you said. But definitely some concerns

4 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

-CB2 still a huge issue

-Pass blocking- The last 3 games We have now seen ravens, chiefs and Steelers blow up their o line with basically rushing only 4.

Chiefs seemed like a lot of it was holding the ball waiting for someone to come open but today was def quick pressure.  I think a lot of that chiefs game was our receivers playing hurt/ the chiefs getting away with tons of defensive holding. Diggs usually eats man defensive alive but he was playing with a tofb oblique.  Today seemed like pit was playing mostly zone 

49 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I’m not a fan of the empty backfield.  But was it really dink-n-dunk that was the problem?  

30 completions for 270 yds is 9 yards per completion.  Seems to me the low YPA was a function of the unusually low (compared to last year) % of completions.

In his postgame presser, Allen said he was “too aggressive” and needed to take more “easy stuff” to have it work out better.  I can’t tell, watching from the network broadcast, but it wouldn’t surprise me if on many of those plays, there was a check down option available and Allen was extending the play looking for the Kill Shot.

Totally agree...I think the teams that give Josh allen trouble either play man and hold our wrs like crazy and get away with it or play zone and give josh some of the check downs and take away the deep crossers and hope he waits too long for someone to come open.  

1st and Goal at the 10.   

Down 10.  

Still anyone’s game if we get a TD.  

Run. Run.  Pass to the RB in the flat.  

What the literal **** was this!? 

Josh Allen, these WR’s and Dawson Knox and we don’t make one throw, of our 5 billion throws, into the end zone in this moment of the game!??

Someone make this make sense. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

9 minutes ago, BuffaloFan68 said:

This was a revenge game for what we did to them last year.  They are a good team and I feel like we went in a little overconfident. I still think this is our year to win the Super Bowl.

Let’s Go Buffalo!!!!! 

Not with this soft interior Oline. Mitch "the holder" Morse was a miss. Cody at best is a back up and Mongo is willing, but not good enough. Stud D lines have owned them and that won't change. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Seems to me, Daboll doesn’t adjust, he just thinks if we execute better, it won’t matter. 

Joe B pointed this out in his post-game recap on The Athletic. We ran 4 WR sets on 33.3% of our snaps today, and 5 WR sets on 11.5% of our snaps. On 4 WR sets we gained just 4.69 yards per play; on 5 WR sets we gained -0.22 yards per play. No that negative sign is not a typo. Every defensive coordinator in the NFL knows that's what we want our offense to be and Tomlin has had a whole offseason to prepare for it.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

-CB2 still a huge issue

Agreed. Also, Allen struggled from the start. Open Sanders badly overthrown-- you can't miss plays like that against a top-notch opponent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, par73 said:

Agreed. Also, Allen struggled from the start. Open Sanders badly overthrown-- you can't miss plays like that against a top-notch opponent.

Eh, even the best QB’s miss those from time to time… but with Allen, it’s more than time to time.  

He needs to tighten up on the deep throws… it’s getting to the point where when he uncorks it, I just assume it’s air-mailed over our guys head. 

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

He needs to tighten up on the deep throws… it’s getting to the point where when he uncorks it, I just assume it’s air-mailed over our guys head. 

Yep. Too much arm, not enough control. Most QBs throw it in a way where the receiver has to adjust to be in the right place horizontally to catch it. Allen throws it so they have to SPRINT vertically to try to get to it, and they can't.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Steel City Mafia said:

Where’s was practice all-star Kumerow at?

I'm so glad we spent so much time talking about that in the pre-season too.

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Yep. Too much arm, not enough control. Most QBs throw it in a way where the receiver has to adjust to be in the right place horizontally to catch it. Allen throws it so they have to SPRINT vertically to try to get to it, and they can't.

Which eliminates the possibility of pass interference also. slightly underthrown is better than slightly over thrown and Josh either doesn't get that or can't do it.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Only one QB in the league has the luxury of deep ball overthrows not actually being overthrown, and he wears red most of the time. 

• Agree 1