9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

7 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Agree.  I picked two specific plays.  A game like this is a play or two here and there.  I think Levi played OK, the TD in the corner he got his hand on and deflected but their WR made a great play.  And the PI wasn’t deserved.

Would have liked to see them run more.

I hear ya.  The penalties were tough sledding.  I hate when we draw Hussey because I know there will be a lot called that are ticky tack.   Odd how they waited to run Singletary later in the game.  Would hope for them to run earlier in the game to slow down the pass rush and setup the pass, or at the very least use the screen game to keep the defense honest.  Seems like Daboll is happy to live and die on Allen's arm.

Edited by thenorthremembers

5 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Haack also seems to take an extra step Back there, or is just slow. Didn’t help that the Steelers broke up the middle, but he had to speed up. We blocked one of his punts last year, and I think the pats blocked two of his in a different game. 

Pro-football-reference says that Matt Haack has had 1 punt blocked in his 4 year career, in 2018 by NE

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaacMa00.htm

I’m not sure what your source is on thinking we blocked a punt on him ever or that the Pats blocked two

38 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think Daboll did call a decent game but I agree he is a bit of a scapegoat for some. When your line blocks like that there really are not many plays on your call sheet that look like good options. For example, everyone says run more screens... you need mobile linemen for well executed screens. By the time Cody Ford has got into position to set a screen up Josh would be on his back on the turf. 

The empty backfield 5-wide dink and dunk ***** just has to go.    Daboll made it very easy on Keith Butler.   The threat of the run and the extra pass blocker are worth a lot more to a guy who likes to hold the ball like Josh Allen than running Devin Singletary out to the X receiver where he is not a pass receiving option that has to be taken seriously.   50 passes for 5 yards per attempt........sheesh........might as well just run the ball up the middle all day like Marrone year 1..........that's punchless offensive football.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Eh, it’s the first game. Certainly sucks to lose but there is a lot of football to play.

Our offensive line absolutely sucked. That was the biggest determinant of the game, they consistently got pressure with 4 guys rushing.

One thing that really concerns me is the absolute lack of running game with Dabol. I thought it was pretty clear we couldn’t be as one dimensional this season as last. I don’t care what the stats say how many times we ran, it was mostly with designed Josh runs and we never got into any sort of a rhythm. When you go 5 wide for 6-10 straight plays then line up in a heavy set who the hell doesn’t see a run coming?? We should’ve been running much more out of 1 and 2 back sets. They were ready for Josh’s designed runs and Daboll gave up way too early until it was too late and Singletary had a good drive. Teams are going to play nickel and dime on us all game until we prove we can run the ball against those fronts.

Outcoached and outplayed, but it’s game 1 and there is a lot of football left to play. Can’t play the Jets opening day every year.

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Pro-football-reference says that Matt Haack has had 1 punt blocked in his 4 year career, in 2018 by NE

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HaacMa00.htm

I’m not sure what your source is on thinking we blocked a punt on him ever or that the Pats blocked two

I think the stats may not show any blocked punt that technically travels forward. 

This article recounts a game when the pats “blocked” two of his punts, but went forward. (I thought the same

happened last year against us, but I may instead be remembering his shank). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20181213/why-miami-dolphins-had-two-punts-blocked-by-patriots%3ftemplate=ampart

13 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Observations:

No, it’s not the end of the world. Pitt especially when heathy is a tough opener

51 pass attempts is too one dimensional. PERIOD! You need to keep them honest.

OC / Gameplan was meh!

JA draw has been run to death,  especially against Pitts D. We ran that to death

Pitt has a legit top 5 defense 

Blocked punt changed the game 

I am not sure what our aversion  is to utilizing the TE position more 

There are a crap load of competitive teams in the AFC it’s a long season

Rebound big next week

As far as an offensive game plan, everyone has a plan until you get hit in the face. The bills got hit in the face when the steelers front 4 could not be stopped. Watt could have had 8 sacks if Allen wasn't an athlete.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I think the stats may not show any blocked punt that technically travels forward. 

This article recounts a game when the pats “blocked” two of his punts, but went forward. (I thought the same

happened last year against us, but I may instead be remembering his shank). 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20181213/why-miami-dolphins-had-two-punts-blocked-by-patriots%3ftemplate=ampart

Thanks, that makes sense.

Hopefully they get it fixed, because we simply can’t have that kind of costly mistake on ST

3 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

Cameron Heyward absolutely wrecked our interior line.  

Our OTs can hold their own vs the best.  We've seen it.

We have seen our interior oline vs great DTs get man handled.  

It should not be hard to draft a stud OG, but no one wants to spend a 1 or a 2 to get one.  Ford is not looking like the answer.  Morse is not a power center.  Feliciano and Boettger are serviceable but better as backups. 

• Agree 2

3 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

As far as an offensive game plan, everyone has a plan until you get hit in the face. The bills got hit in the face when the steelers front 4 could not be stopped. Watt could have had 8 sacks if Allen wasn't an athlete.

Titans 2020

Chiefs 2020 x2

Steelers 2021

All games where we got punched in the face. 

Problem is, our answer seems to be, just go what we do … but do it better….

See:  Steelers 2020, where we ran the same sets but plugged up Hayward’s penetration and got the ball to Diggs over and over. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Haack also seems to take an extra step Back there, or is just slow. Didn’t help that the Steelers broke up the middle, but he had to speed up. We blocked one of his punts last year, and I think the pats blocked two of his in a different game. 

I didn’t know this.  I was surprised to see him in preseason.    I thought we had a good punter.  One problem with changing punters is you effect the PK. 

12 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Not even in a Pittsburgh Steeler fantasy league is that torching.. the Bills gave the game to these guys with poor coaching and execution 

Hard to argue with that ^^^

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

Do you think they were exhausted? I have to admit I did not pay much attention to the rotation. Or could they not keep up the intensity they showed in the first half.. Cleveland certainly faded in the second half today…

I dunno if it was mental let up or physical fatigue.

What Collinsworth said about the physical difficulties of the first game, as a former player, made sense to me

If it was physical, though, then it has to be said Tomlin had his guys more ready to go.