9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

You are incorrect, no really, you are, Dabol’s one failing is that he has no functioning idea how to integrate a run game into his offensive schemes, over the last three years he has shown this to be so. 

As an example;

Singletary had just picked up back to back first downs on run plays, of 12 & 15 yards iirc, and put us well into the red zone, then Dabs calls a run play for Allen when Singletary was so obviously the hot hand and very likely to score a TD during that series of downs. Singletary was running in contact traffic much better than Allen was during the game. 

A Pass only offense is an one dimensional offense and is relatively easy to defend against especially when your OC doesn’t know when to use his RBs, this game showed this to be so. 

Go Bills!!!

A pass only offense is not necessarily one dimensional we are horribly oversimplifying this on this board lol 4-5 wr sets are tough to handle and you can line up in shotgun or the pistol and dump it off to a rb and its pretty much a running play and you also can run designed qb runs and all kinds of other things.  Our offense isn't like we're dropping back to pass every play with only 3 targets on the field. 

• Like (+1) 1

We had the same yards per play, and 130 more yards, we had a much better 3rd down conversion rate, and we won time if possession.  The fumble cost us a drive, but not much else.

The score shows we lost on the blocked punt, and the stats show it as well.  Allen was trash, but pittz d is sick.  The blocked punt and trash penalties killed us.  I honestly think food coaching would have had us walking away winners, but our coaches were worse than our players today.  Lots of trick plays and no bread and butter did us in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

If it comes with a Suberbowl W, of course. Otherwise it’s largely status quo.

Good lord…it’s one game against a good team and Bills got no calls….punter decided to sleepwalk …Tre got hosed….and made a lot of mistakes……Green Bay is getting shellacked Kc losing at home 

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Supe said:

Marino’s one dimensional Dolphins were good - but not good enough to win a Super Bowl. We need to run the ball more. We need to let the O line push forward instead of getting pushed back all the time in pass protection. 

Same with Dan Fouts and the Chargers.   You can have a great passing attack, but need to have some balance.

3 minutes ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Allen was mediocre, receivers dropped balls, run game was awful except for two runs late, and the entire OL was beaten up like a vette at a rental car joint.  But yeah, they looked great 😂

I didn't say they looked great, but if it helps your argument do whatever you want.  

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Right, and I saw at least one play where Hughes had hands in his face and was being wrapped like a boa constrictor

So I do feel the holding penalties were not equitably called

Now was that the difference in the game, probably not - I’d give the blocked punt followed by the TOD for that.

But, I just saw a penalty call in the GB-NO game that absolutely just turned the game.

Realistically I think the bills just came out flat. After the big run back of the kickoff the fans were going crazy 🤪 No one on the bills side was jumping up and done or even running around.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

A pass only offense is not necessarily one dimensional we are horribly oversimplifying this on this board lol 4-5 wr sets are tough to handle and you can line up in shotgun or the pistol and dump it off to a rb and its pretty much a running play and you also can run designed qb runs and all kinds of other things.  Our offense isn't like we're dropping back to pass every play with only 3 targets on the field. 

Well, i disagree. I dont mind "pass first" what i mind are all these empty sets that do not even threaten the run. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I do understand that, kind sir.  Are you suggesting that the Bills OL played as well as Pittsburgh’s OL did?

To be clear, Pittsburgh’s DL dominated the Bills’OL and the Pittsburgh OL held their own against the Bills’ DL.  

“Held there own” against the Bills DL.  Fine choice of words, Indeed.

I think Big Ben knew just where he was going with the ball and got it out fast, which makes it harder for our DL to get there (I also saw some pretty rampant uncalled holding - which i would be ok with except the refs were calling it on us).

I think something the Steelers D was doing was puzzling Allen and there were a lack of quick hit options for him, and there were uncharacteristic drops and misfires on those that were there

1 hour ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I don't get this take. I thought we were MUCH better this week. Holding them to sub-300 yards of offense is no easy feat. 

Both sacks and 5/6 recorded QB pressures occur in first half.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Well, i disagree. I dont mind "pass first" what i mind are all these empty sets that do not even threaten the run. 

I understand, as I used to feel the same way.  I’ll try to find it and bring it back, but Cover-1 and I think Jim Kubiak put out some pretty good pieces on how Daboll uses them to help Allen diagnose coverage.  IMHO he was struggling with that today.  Maybe Pittsburgh really did come up with something we hadn’t seen before.

3 minutes ago, RichRiderBills said:

Every play threatens the run when the qb can run...they have to spy allen all game which frees up someone in the passing game.  We just didn't execute today and everyone is rightfully frustrated but there were tons of opportunities.  One thing i won't defend is the gadget plays on 4th and short

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Damn, that was a really bad game by the offense. The OL was a sieve and Allen was out of synch most of the day. Field position was great today and we let the Steelers off the hook, they played their game and won fair and square. 

first game of the year, a tough loss. Hopefully next week will be a lot better. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I just scanned through the play by play on NFL.com and counted 4 holding penalties total - 2 on Dawkins, 1 on Morse, 1 on Williams.

They were all problems, especially given that the Pitt OL seemed able to hold, hands to the face, whatever, without penalty.

What part of “our entire OL got beaten like a drum” is reasonably translated to “Dawkins holding penalties weren’t a problem” in your unique intracranial processing?

2 on Dawkins were accepted, two more were declined.