9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They didn’t… they did nothing to add to their weakness in the secondary or questionable interior line….. really head scratching decision to resign Feliciano.

Yep. If Allen isn’t Allen from last season they aren’t going anywhere.

I mean the weaknesses in the secondary could've been caused by the bad pass rush...all these units are related.  Nobody is covering an NFL caliber wide receiver for 6+ seconds.  I don't really agree with that second point if the defense can turn in performances like that.  Today's offensive effort was like what happened in the titans game last year only our defense kept us in it 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

Just now, Maine-iac said:

Can't say I'm with you on that call.  Offense looked pretty bad and especially the passing game.  I'm leaning towards the play calling being the problem but Allen missed a few (he was getting hurried) and there were a number of drops.  All in all the defense looked fine, the offense looked off most of the day and the special teams ultimately lost the game.  The refs had a few close possibly bad calls but I certainly wouldn't say they decided anything.

I agree with most of this.  I don't think they played great.  It's my position that they played better than the Steelers.

8 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Did anyone notice Cody Ford today? I guess that's a good thing that no one pointed anything out about him. 

Yes, he doesn't look anything like DK Metcalf 😬

Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um…our OL does not play their OL

I do understand that, kind sir.  Are you suggesting that the Bills OL played as well as Pittsburgh’s OL did?

To be clear, Pittsburgh’s DL dominated the Bills’OL and the Pittsburgh OL held their own against the Bills’ DL.  

Edited by OldTimer1960

4 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

Can't say I'm with you on that call.  Offense looked pretty bad and especially the passing game.  I'm leaning towards the play calling being the problem but Allen missed a few (he was getting hurried) and there were a number of drops.  All in all the defense looked fine, the offense looked off most of the day and the special teams ultimately lost the game.  The refs had a few close possibly bad calls but I certainly wouldn't say they decided anything.

That white INT being called back was absolutely game altering.  Despite that we could've played decently and won still and we didn't do that lol 

Just now, auburnbillsbacker said:

I agree with most of this.  I don't think they played great.  It's my position that they played better than the Steelers.

You only get so many straight up mistakes in a game before playing better doesn't cut it.  Up by 7 and turning the ball over on downs twice and then giving up a special teams TD was probably 2 mistakes to many.  We didn't play that badly but we did make too many mistakes.

27 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Singletary had 72 yards on 11 carries. Maybe give him the ball before it’s out of hand. Keep the Defense honest and then break them over the top with the play action 

Motor showed improvement this preseason and today validated that. We must use him more. We must take pressure off JA. I don't want an unbalanced offense like Dallas. Run the damn play action. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I just scanned through the play by play on NFL.com and counted 4 holding penalties total - 2 on Dawkins, 1 on Morse, 1 on Williams.

They were all problems, especially given that the Pitt OL seemed able to hold, hands to the face, whatever, without penalty.

What part of “our entire OL got beaten like a drum” is reasonably translated to “Dawkins holding penalties weren’t a problem” in your unique intracranial processing?

Well hap big Ed got held on one play I did mention it in the GameDay thread and his jersey was half off his body and that was on the big pass play. So yes you are correct Pitts was diff holding our dt all day.

1,stunt groot got tackled to the ground and no flag

Just now, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

That white INT being called back was absolutely game altering.  Despite that we could've played decently and won still and we didn't do that lol 

I agree with all of that.  Wasn't a fan of the call or the hit in the end zone later on which was clearly early but I don't think it cost us the game.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, DCofNC said:

Yeah, he’s been a replacement level player for 2 years, don’t need to see more to know what he is.

You are incorrect, no really, you are, Dabol’s one failing is that he has no functioning idea how to integrate a run game into his offensive schemes, over the last three years he has shown this to be so. 

As an example;

Singletary had just picked up back to back first downs on run plays, of 12 & 15 yards iirc, and put us well into the red zone, then Dabs calls a run play for Allen when Singletary was so obviously the hot hand and very likely to score a TD during that series of downs. Singletary was running in contact traffic much better than Allen was during the game. 

A Pass only offense is an one dimensional offense and is relatively easy to defend against especially when your OC doesn’t know when to use his RBs, this game showed this to be so. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Maine-iac said:

I agree with all of that.  Wasn't a fan of the call or the hit in the end zone later on which was clearly early but I don't think it cost us the game.

Yea its kind of a semantics thing lol we wouldve won the game if we got that call but we should've won anyway but they whooped us in the second half 

1 minute ago, Maine-iac said:

You only get so many straight up mistakes in a game before playing better doesn't cut it.  Up by 7 and turning the ball over on downs twice and then giving up a special teams TD was probably 2 mistakes to many.  We didn't play that badly but we did make too many mistakes.

Yep.  What are your thoughts on the White interception that got called back?  I didn't see holding.  That was a huge mistake by Big Ben. They got a field goal and we lost points.  

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I'm not sure today validated that everything he did was against deep zone pass coverage 

What I will say for Singletary is that if you give him a hole he'll give you a decent run.  If you have 3 guys penetrating into the backfield he's no better than anyone else.  I'm not sure any of the run game problems start with him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

What person on here didn't watch the game?  Of course I did.  Are you blind?  If your eyes work you would have noticed the Bills looked better on offense and defense and penalties are what determined the winner.

Allen was mediocre, receivers dropped balls, run game was awful except for two runs late, and the entire OL was beaten up like a vette at a rental car joint.  But yeah, they looked great 😂

1 minute ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

Yep.  What are your thoughts on the White interception that got called back?  I didn't see holding.  That was a huge mistake by Big Ben. They got a field goal and we lost points.  

I didn't necessarily see holding but I also didn't see enough pass interference on White for that call either.  I will not disagree with anyone who didn't like some of the calls out there.  I just feel like we stilll could have won the game i.e. the refs didn't lose it for us.

3 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

Well hap big Ed got held on one play I did mention it in the GameDay thread and his jersey was half off his body and that was on the big pass play. So yes you are correct Pitts was diff holding our dt all day.

1,stunt groot got tackled to the ground and no flag

Right, and I saw at least one play where Hughes had hands in his face and was being wrapped like a boa constrictor

So I do feel the holding penalties were not equitably called

Now was that the difference in the game, probably not - I’d give the blocked punt followed by the TOD for that.

But, I just saw a penalty call in the GB-NO game that absolutely just turned the game.

• Thank you (+1) 1