9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

I hate the idea of passing out of the spread almost every single down. I know what we did last year, I’m fully aware it was a season to remember offensively…I just never feel it’s sustainable. I want this team to be more balanced. I want to see play action and movement and runs and allowing Josh to roll out. I hate the idea of standing there and throwing 50 times. I just think you really open up issues against good defenses. Making yourself one dimensional is doing the defense a favor. Before anyone asks, yes I was saying it last year when we were winning. This team needs balance. Purposely taking an entire element of your own offense away, is something that helps the other team. You can still throw, but do it in ways that doesn’t declare it to the world pre snap.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Yes, this^^^

play calling was very questionable at several points during the game, imo, Dabol’s play calling and offensive execution were both lacking, starters gotta play during preseason more than once, they were rusty and out of sync, and appeared to  Be believing their own press clippings…, 

Go Bills!!!

Yea gadget plays are just a disaster optics wise when they don't work...I dont think anyone would fault them for trying a qb sneak and not getting it 

Just now, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I find the “refs hate us” excuses lazy and tiresome…. Like did you even watch the game?

I try not to be that guy that says that but in this game it felt the holding calls were all going one way when Pitt was holding like crazy too.  We played bad though no question 

• Like (+1) 1

Marino’s one dimensional Dolphins were good - but not good enough to win a Super Bowl. We need to run the ball more. We need to let the O line push forward instead of getting pushed back all the time in pass protection. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

I find the “refs hate us” excuses lazy and tiresome…. Like did you even watch the game?

agree. The NFL officiating is generally bad all around, IMO.  Too many missed calls everywhere and total lack of consistency as to what gets and does not get called.  

Just now, Supe said:

Marino’s one dimensional Dolphins were good - but not good enough to win a Super Bowl. We need to run the ball more. We need to let the O line push forward instead of getting pushed back all the time in pass protection. 

I'm fearing we will become, at best, those 90s Dolphins.  

1 hour ago, Playoffs? said:

What do you mean there is no running back on this team?  You got a large enough sample size of Singletary to decide he can’t play??  I thought he did pretty well all things considered..

Yeah, he’s been a replacement level player for 2 years, don’t need to see more to know what he is.

It's 10-0 when Tre has the pick that gets called back...That, and the blocked punt, are the game changers (obviously)...

Those 2 plays go our way I think the Bills win...Still would have been ugly...But those 2 plays were absolute killers...

I give the Pitt D the credit they deserve. They absolutely manhandled our O-Line regularly. Not sure how many holding penalties...but it seemed like 100...More than that though the pressure was clearly throwing Josh's timing off...He was just a little off on a couple big ones...Oh well...

This was a humbling experience...There are PLENTY of teams with VERY athletic and tough D-Lines. They may not all be Pitts caliber, but there's plenty of good ones. And we better fix this line crap pronto if we want to go far...

BTW...D played OK...Better vs the run then I thought they would. They held a team that would like to run 1st to 75 yds rushing...I thought Edmunds looked better...They got a couple tough breaks, and Pitts best play seemed to be the chuck it up and pray...

Anyway...

Doomed...

GO BILLS...B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Meatloaf63 said:

It’s more than obvious now, having an average at best oline is not going to cut it. We need to give Allen better or we are not going anywhere. We also need at least one impact player on D fense. It’s going to be disappointing if we keep going down this route…

No more obvious than it was after the AFCC game last year.  This unit picked up exactly where it left off......getting their genitals handed to them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

They absolutely..have..to develop a run game.  We don’t have to run more than we pass... but when you have a 10pt lead, you have to run and burn some clock.  You have to. 

And find a way to pressure the opposing QB.  Sitting back in soft zones is a sure way to let a good team back in the game.    

I’m not panicked.    No one should be.  But, they clearly have some things to work on if they want to win against tough, physical teams like the Steelers. 

Edited by Dan
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, DCofNC said:

Yeah, he’s been a replacement level player for 2 years, don’t need to see more to know what he is.

I hear ya… but he ran very well today.  Tough, faster, and elusive.  

It’s hard to get into any kind of flow if you never get the ball. I’d like to give him the ball 20 times and see how that goes.. 

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I hate the idea of passing out of the spread almost every single down. I know what we did last year, I’m fully aware it was a season to remember offensively…I just never feel it’s sustainable. I want this team to be more balanced. I want to see play action and movement and runs and allowing Josh to roll out. I hate the idea of standing there and throwing 50 times. I just think you really open up issues against good defenses. Making yourself one dimensional is doing the defense a favor. Before anyone asks, yes I was saying it last year when we were winning. This team needs balance. Purposely taking an entire element of your own offense away, is something that helps the other team. You can still throw, but do it in ways that doesn’t declare it to the world pre snap.

The problem with Pitt and an elite defense is they could easily stop the run without committing extra personnel to do so...then you're just throwing downs away if you're running for 2 ypc...cowboys were in a similar predicament against the bucs Thursday night.  Offensive coordinator is not an easy job haha we left a lot of plays on the field even before getting into those odd 4th down decisions 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Maybe other teams will make them look good too because they possibly are good 🤣 guess we'll have to wait and see...they got away with a ton of holding though not sure if thats gonna be an every week thing 

That’s really my beef - we got multiple holding penalties called, while they seemed to be holding a lot.

Maybe it’s ooaching and we need to be more clever about what we do

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills were in control of the game.   Then McDermott gave the Steelers good field position twice.   Once on the 35 and once on the 50.   That turned the game.   Try the field goal from the 35.   Bass has a big leg.  If he makes it, that gives the Bills a big boost.   The one from the 50, punt the ball deep.   Make Pittsburgh go the length of the field.

And the blocked punt was horrendous at the professional level.

McDermott needs to own up to the loss and start believing in the process instead of trying to be a hero with his "go for it  Coach" calls.

The players on the other side are good too.   Coach smart.   Terrible game from Mcdermott

• Like (+1) 3

My quick take:  We’ve been rewarded in the past, mostly last year, for being aggressive.  It’s kind of like getting addicted to drugs in that our 3rd and 4th down success rate makes you think that it is sustainable; when it’s not.  I think we are paying back that stat Gods this game.  We definitely returned to the mean.  We’ll get it figured out.  I think McD will force a return to more conservative football.  I think, and hope, the light bulb went off today.  

3 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No more obvious than it was after the AFCC game last year.  This unit picked up exactly where it left off......getting their genitals handed to them.

I think every team knows this but the pool of available OL players is shrinking every year because college guys are all playing in spread offenses.  Really having a mobile qb with a good arm like allen is the best way to overcome that 

3 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

The problem with Pitt and an elite defense is they could easily stop the run without committing extra personnel to do so...then you're just throwing downs away if you're running for 2 ypc...cowboys were in a similar predicament against the bucs Thursday night.  Offensive coordinator is not an easy job haha we left a lot of plays on the field even before getting into those odd 4th down decisions 

Singletary had 72 yards on 11 carries. Maybe give him the ball before it’s out of hand. Keep the Defense honest and then break them over the top with the play action 

• Like (+1) 3