9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

53 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

3 plays lost this game 

The backwards pass on 4th.

The Pi on 3rd down and of course the blocked punt.

Actually,  it was the Allen run after Singletary’s back to back runs that put us in the red zone, calling for Allen to run at that point was foolish on Dabol’s part, Singletary was running very well and likely scores a TD during that series, yes there was other plays that compounded the situation, but, that series of downs was the point of no return for the Bills.

Dabol has shown that he doesn’t understand how to use the run game to compliment the rest of his offensive schemes, it is his Achilles heel as it were, this needs desperately to be corrected, he makes the team one dimensional the way he calls plays, and this makes it easier to defend us, and the rest of the league already knows it. 

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

It’s a fair question you ask.  At this point I struggle to quantify it.  I guess I felt there were some puzzling choices in play selections and choices that, together with sloppiness in execution, seems like something you see when the team/coaches are “overconfident” and don’t feel they need to pull out all the stops to win it.

Could be overconfidence lol they'll never admit it so we'll never know for sure... but I thought we pulled out too many stops if anything 🤣 we were moving the ball fine and still trying flea flickers and half back passes and stuff on short yardage situations it was really odd 

1 minute ago, blackngolddigger said:

If my team doesn't have some miraculous run, I'm rooting for you guys.

Your team just forgot it was a 3 game preseason and 17 game regular season.

Please don't let the Patriots back on top.

Thanks @blackngolddigger.  I felt like we came out flat today and you “brought it”.  Your DL looks like it’s saying “Bud who?” And has depth behind Tuitt.

Looked tough today, you were the better team and deserved the win (despite our bitching about a couple of ticky-tack and missed calls).

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

For any of you that weren’t there, the winds gusted all day long and affected both qb’s greatly. The O line was indeed awful today and Josh wasn’t on the top of his game, but I haven’t seen anyone talking about the winds today. Both qb’s completion percentages and accuracy were greatly affected. 

this might be a good point.  Ben had some bizzarly off target passes to wide open guys, mostly RB Harris.  

That said, our OL and DL are albatrosses that Bean did nothing of any import with, and we will pay the price for that against good teams.  Our offensive playcalling is also a disaster against good teams when you need a more balanced approach.  

Didn’t see most of the game as I was at an out of town wedding but it sounds like the bills shot themselves in the foot a lot and played poorly. You can’t win games against playoff teams when you do that. That said I think we will give them the benefit of the doubt that they can clean up most of these issues. If the bills go 3-3 in their first 6 games I still think that sets them up very well to make a good run in the middle of the season. I know everyone wants the 1 seed but just focus on winning the division for now. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, blackngolddigger said:

If my team doesn't have some miraculous run, I'm rooting for you guys.

Your team just forgot it was a 3 game preseason and 17 game regular season.

Please don't let the Patriots back on top.

Well root for us anyway. It was a close tight game. The person made more mistakes usly lose these types. Bill's made more costly mistakes in the second half.  Plus play calling.   Anyways not worried hopefully Bills team learn to improve from there mistakes

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, loveorhatembillsfan4life said:

Today In retrospect I’m thankful for the following.

We have our Franchise Qb

Daboll  didn’t leave for a head coaching gig 

Levi won or kept  the number two job.we are fine with the depth behind Trey

We kept the oline together

we drafted heavily on D line

we improved our punter

Zach is back healthy after his injury last season

and the Browns are not for real

On to week two! 

In all fairness, he needs to repeat or come close to last season at least to be considered a franchise qb.  This type of performance won’t cut it. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I like Josh. But the reality he looked like 2019 Josh. And Daboll looked like 2019 Daboll when many were calling for his job. 

I'm giving Daboll a short leash after this game and others.  He simply is incapable of having a balanced attack, which you need against high caliber Ds.  

I'm less worried about Josh given the fact the D line was in his face all day, and they only rushed 4.  I'm more worried about our terrible OL.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

45 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

The defense was fine.  Yes, Wallace got picked on a bit in the second half, but he was right there on a couple of those plays.  The Johnson TD was good coverage.  It was just a great play by Johnson.  The Steelers have a great group of receivers and overall the D held up their end of the bargain.

We lost this game for three reasons:

1. Terrible offensive playcalling, especially in short yardage situations.

2.  Horrible offensive line play.  (But some of this falls at the feet of Daboll for not sprinkling in more Singletary runs until it was too late)

3. And obviously, the blocked punt TD.

Overall, I'm not too worried.  And this might have been a good wakeup call for the team that nothing comes easy in the NFL.

Nothing on Allen’s many missed throws?

Just now, Rocbillsfan1 said:

Didn’t see most of the game as I was at an out of town wedding but it sounds like the bills shot themselves in the foot a lot and played poorly. You can’t win games against playoff teams when you do that. That said I think we will give them the benefit of the doubt that they can clean up most of these issues. If the bills go 3-3 in their first 6 games I still think that sets them up very well to make a good run in the middle of the season. I know everyone wants the 1 seed but just focus on winning the division for now. 

This is exactly how I felt watching the game...it was just a bad game with a lot of questionable decisions 

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Could be overconfidence lol they'll never admit it so we'll never know for sure... but I thought we pulled out too many stops if anything 🤣 we were moving the ball fine and still trying flea flickers and half back passes and stuff on short yardage situations it was really odd 

Oh, we unveiled “trick plays” a-plenty.  But we chose to punt on some short 4th downs I thought we could have made, and we tried to finesse a couple plays that we should have arguably tried to out-physical.  Then we tried to go for it when we could have taken points.

The “still trying flea flickers and half back passes” is kind of what I mean.  We were trying to finesse where “man whupping man” physicality may have been called for.

• Agree 3

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

Actually,  it was the Allen run after Singletary’s back to back runs that put us in the red zone, calling for Allen to run at that point was foolish on Dabol’s part, Singletary was running very well and likely scores a TD during that series, yes there was other plays that compounded the situation, but, that series of downs was the point of no return for the Bills.

Dabol has shown that he doesn’t understand how to use the run game to compliment the rest of his offensive schemes, it is his Achilles heel as it were, this needs desperately to be corrected, he makes the team one dimensional the way he calls plays, and this makes it easier to defend us, and the rest of the league already knows it. 

Go Bills!!!

Yes.  I agree with this too.  

I get it, it’s a passing league, but we have to run occasionally and be better.  Gadgets plays on 4 and 1 and mid field while clinging to a 4point lead.  

Boy Cleveland’s running game is looking great. Buffalo better get it together on running the ball that’s our biggest problem. And I can’t believe McDermott don’t no better being a defensive guy. Allen’s going to get hurt with all that stupid running up the middle. Sometimes you have to play power football even if it starts off slow. It will break open then they will have to move more players in the box then the big plays in the air will open up. Right now this is the blueprint to beat Buffalo don’t worry about the run and get after Allen. Good defense will do it we’ve seen it to many times now