9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

The defense was fine.  Yes, Wallace got picked on a bit in the second half, but he was right there on a couple of those plays.  The Johnson TD was good coverage.  It was just a great play by Johnson.  The Steelers have a great group of receivers and overall the D held up their end of the bargain.

We lost this game for three reasons:

1. Terrible offensive playcalling, especially in short yardage situations.

2.  Horrible offensive line play.  (But some of this falls at the feet of Daboll for not sprinkling in more Singletary runs until it was too late)

3. And obviously, the blocked punt TD.

Overall, I'm not too worried.  And this might have been a good wakeup call for the team that nothing comes easy in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

bingo.  We are beginning to look like the Marvin Lewis Bengals.  

I don’t want to say the sky is falling at all, so I say this hesitantly. I don’t want to hear about how great the Steelers are as an excuse. I didn’t realize the Stillers were considered contenders first of all, and secondly, we are Super Bowl contenders, you shouldn’t be getting bullied by Pittsburgh at home on opening day. Today’s game had the same complexion as the two Chiefs losses last season, that is at least slightly concerning. 

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, klos63 said:

no homefield advantage for Buffalo. We are better in an empty stadium. I blame the fans.

I can’t tell if you’re joking but it’s like the refs try to offset the clear home fan advantage with lopsided calls. Because you can’t expect the fans to help that much AND get home field advantage refereeing.

1 minute ago, Meatloaf63 said:

I love people who watch a game clueless of what’s actually happening on the field and then acting like they are the superior fan, when their take is as bad as possible. It’s entertaining to see fools flapping their gums with no understanding of the game.

I feel pretty good about this loss. We fixed a bunch of things that we lacked down the stretch last year. 

The defenses will start to dial in around week 8. 

I’m feeling pretty good now.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Allen sucked. He was elite last season. There is the difference between today’s game and last season. The team goes as Allen goes.

Allen played more or less like the same in the last years game.   The difference this time was that their offense woke up in the 2nd half.

1 minute ago, vincec said:

I don't think Miami's DL is as good as Pittsburgh's. Maybe no one's is.

They're not, but they can play the same defense that caused the offense to fall apart today. Fast, aggressive, attacking the receivers while keeping a bunch of guys in coverage and still getting pressure. 

2 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I don't get this take. I thought we were MUCH better this week. Holding them to sub-300 yards of offense is no easy feat. 

People have forgotten how abysmal the dline was last year haha we may not have gotten good defensive pressure still but we were still miles ahead of last season

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

They're not, but they can play the same defense that caused the offense to fall apart today. Fast, aggressive, attacking the receivers while keeping a bunch of guys in coverage and still getting pressure. 

Yea they can try the same gameplan obviously...anyone can.  But it comes down to their front 4 winning up front and if they can't do as good a job as Pitt they will get absolutely torched 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jeremy2020 said:

I haven’t seen it discussed much, but our receivers didn’t do a great job getting open today either. I’d have watch again to confirm, but I saw some issues with that. 

• Agree 1

The good:

-Thought defense played well for the most part

-Bass kicked the ball well

-Singletary ran the ball well

The bad

-Josh looked horrendous, like rookie year bad. He was off on throws as evidenced by missing a wide open Sanders in what should’ve been a deep TD. He looked flustered a lot and his ball security when running was questionable at best.

-The o-line looked overmatched and got pushed around. 

-Haack takes a while to get his punts off. 

-Levi Wallace continues to be a liability and gets picked on. Still amazes me that we didn’t draft a CB early 

-Speaking of taking a CB early, we elected not to and drafted Basham instead just to make him a healthy scratch. Mind boggling stuff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

EVERYONE underestimated this Steelers defense.  I was feeling that after the Watt signing a bad feeling.  That we still don't matchup well with them my concern was running the ball but their pass defense is better.  Engram is better then Dupree.  Much better.  

It might be the best D we see all year.

2 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

I can’t tell if you’re joking but it’s like the refs try to offset the clear home fan advantage with lopsided calls. Because you can’t expect the fans to help that much AND get home field advantage refereeing.

Most of the calls were legit. Their defensive line flat out owned our OL. Both Dawkins and Williams were terrible today. Feliciano and Ford were not great either. The PI on Wallace was the one a that I was miffed about 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

The defense was fine.  Yes, Wallace got picked on a bit in the second half, but he was right there on a couple of those plays.  The Johnson TD was good coverage.  It was just a great play by Johnson.  The Steelers have a great group of receivers and overall the D held up their end of the bargain.

We lost this game for three reasons:

1. Terrible offensive playcalling, especially in short yardage situations.

2.  Horrible offensive line play.  (But some of this falls at the feet of Daboll for not sprinkling in more Singletary runs until it was too late)

3. And obviously, the blocked punt TD.

Overall, I'm not too worried.  And this might have been a good wakeup call for the team that nothing comes easy in the NFL.

I mostly agree but horrible offensive line play? Allen had a clean pocket most of the day and was actually able to step up into that pocket quite a few times, which is kinda new.

My aww shucks after thoughts:

1.  Pitts DLINE owned the Bills OLINE.  So many Bills holding calls accepted or decline based on the results of the play.  Watt played a heckuva game.  Heyward too.

2. Just about everyone on the Bills seemed off.  

3. The blocked punt was the play of the game.

4. Pitts DBs played well, very well.

5. The 4th down call was a curious call.  Maybe a half back option, but it never developed and Sutton blew it up from the get.

6. More drops than I can recall with this receiver group.

7.  Bills did well to stop the run. Najee learned the hard way he isn't in Alabama anymore.

8. Give Ben his due, he made the plays that Josh could not.

9. Not getting 7 on the opening drive was a harbinger of what was to come.

10. Knox did well today.  Probably the only receiver who did not drop a pass.  

11. Outside of McKenzie, I think the Bills came out of a very physical game relatively healthy

12. The PI calls were all one way in that game..

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1