9/12/2021 Steelers @ Bills Post Game thread

Chandler#81

4 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I feel like such a Bills fan right now.

I texted my uncle....being a Bills is means never having any confidence.    Now for a week I will take crap from my Steeler coworkers in PA

Edited by billsfan714

2 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

You guys act like we lost to the Jets. I've been telling people to not take the Steelers lightly, their defense is as good as it gets in the NFL and Roethlisberger is a smart veteran. Absolutely crazy for people to think the Bills were just going to come in and steam roll a 13-3 team w/ a huge chip on their shoulder.

Game could've went either way minus a stupid drop by Sanders and questionable call back on the White interception. Week 1 is ALWAYS crazy, I know the play calling was atrocious, but they can build from this. We'll see where their heads are really at next week. If they drop 2 in a row then I'll start panicking. I am no where near throwing away the season like some people here. Have a little faith. 

Agree. Got to admit, did not see blocked punt coming.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1. Expected a close game and that's what it was until the blocked punt gave the Steelers a two score lead.

2. Not going to argue whether they were good calls by the officials or not and there weren't an excessive number of penalties against the Bills but almost every one of them seemed to  be key to helping keep the game close early and putting the Steelers in the lead in the 2nd half.  Multiple holding calls killing Bills drives, defensive calls keeping Steelers in the game.  

3. More or less no measurable improvement to the pass rush from last season and doubly bad given the Steelers line had 4 new starters.

4. Offensive play calling never adapted to address a consistent Steeler pass rush that pressured Allen on most throws.  Maybe too much empty set?

5. The blocked punt.  Questionable off-season decision to replace last season's punter with a guy with an extremely deliberate and slow punting form.  

6. Steelers made half time adjustments and the Bills didn't respond.

7. Its an opening day loss but is this something to get worried about this early? For me, no.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

This loss isn't at all surprising.  Pittsburgh is a good team.  Not sure how some of you thought they weren't.

You’re correct, and I don’t want to chicken little, but it’s more about the Steelers dominating the second half. The Steelers aren’t that type of good, and I wouldn’t consider them a legitimate contender. The season just begun, and all of our goals are still in sight, but this was the Bills team we saw against the Chiefs and Titans last season. This loss has as much to do with things we need to fix, as it does the greatness of the Steelers imo. 

2 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Trying to be rational and not let the anger cloud posting, but some initial thoughts...

1) While you can't necessarily blame the defense for todays loss, this was the pretty much the same defense we saw last year. Not a problem when Allen and the offense play well, but a big problem when they don't.

2) Levi Wallace is not that guy and yes myself and others who share this sentiment understand this is a fatal mistake by this front office and coaching staff and you really have to wonder what they see that we don't.

3) The entire offensive line was trash today and the guards are a big area of concern as feared. Feliciano is/was the most overrated player on this team and not sure why he thought losing 30 pounds would be a good thing. As for Cody Ford, yes this was one of Beane's worst pics here, if not the worst.

4) I really believe Allen is good, but let's be honest when you pay a guy a record contract you have to be able to hit a deep ball from time to time and simply have to be better. Also I hate to say this but he won't last the entire season if we insist on the QB draw crap especially against top defenses like Pitt.

poor coaching, drafting, and playing.  Great combo. 

1 minute ago, Juice_32 said:

Bingo, on to Miami

Bingo my rear, the offensive line got steamrolled all day long and the quarterback couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Add a horrid gameplan, a lack of halftime adjustment to that horrible plan, and baffling decisions in game. 

Chalking this up to a handful of single plays let's a whole lot of people who did a real crappy job off the hook. They weren't ready to play football today in all three phases.

28 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Missed deep TD to Sanders.

Blocked punt TD.

Weak penalty overturned an interception.

Dumb 4th down call.

Sanders dropped seam pass.

Those are the 5 plays that decided the game. Hopefully the team takes it as a wake up call.

Chubs nails it.  I'll add the non-holding call on the deep pass to Diggs.  If Tre White was holding on the INT, that was definitely holding by the Squeelers on Stef.

The missed TD to Sanders was reminiscent of Foster's unwillingness to lay out for balls.  Totally gutless.  With the seam drop and the false start in the 4th, I am not impressed at all with "Colonel" Sanders.  

Haack hocked a loogie on that punt.  WTF IS WITH THE THREE STEP TECHNIQUE FROM YOUR OWN 10 YARD LINE????  Two step punt there, idiot, I don't care how bad the OLE' blocking was up front, the ball should have been long gone.

AND WTF WAS THAT 4TH DOWN bull####???  A lateral to Breida?  We're supposed to be the team playing guts ball, and we go finesse when we need the 1st down.

My other areas of concern:

Motor with two fumbles, the last one OB to keep the clock running in the 4th QTR.

O-line.  Jesus.  Unable to run or pass block.  Josh running for his life all day.

Sugar Rush Josh.  Started looking like Houston playoff game a bit, but he got no help from the rest of the team.  

All of a sudden our defensive backfield looks suspect.  Hyde with a ridiculous US call (c'mon man, you're a seasoned vet, fallin' for that bull####....). Levi Wallace snakebit, and Taron Johnson issues later in the game.  

Playcalls with 1st and goal from the 8:  Josh draw for 2 yards, Motor run for 2 yards, Motor swing pass for -1 yards.  Just brutal.  You gotta go to the EZ at least once.

Zero pressure on Rapelisberger most of the game, against the Squeelers remade O-line (where's all the pregame prognosticators that we would pwn the Squeelers OL?).

I gotta stop now, I'm 130/110 BP....

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1