Zack Moss a healthy scratch

StHustle

This was a huge surprise, against a tough D you would think you would want your toughest runner. I haven’t been satisfied with our RBs but I wouldn’t want Brieda on the field in many situations over the two of them. Seemed in the second half they wanted to test out the new toy a little, we now know why he’s on his third team in as many years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BananaB said:

This was a huge surprise, against a tough D you would think you would want your toughest runner. I haven’t been satisfied with our RBs but I wouldn’t want Brieda on the field in many situations over the two of them. Seemed in the second half they wanted to test out the new toy a little, we now know why he’s on his third team in as many years. 

Right Moss would of been better for this game than Brieda ( or many games, like the way Moss plays). Brieda seems like not a good player. Goes down way too easy. 

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Glad we had Brieda and Jones active for their ST play. And the bills were not good on ST. 

Breida didn't start over Moss for his Special Teams. I'm guessing McDermott wanted to try some speed in the backfield. But speed does little good at RB without shiftiness or the ability to break tackles. As for Jones, he was the lead blocker on McKenzie's 75 yard return and played gunner. Our deficiencies on Special Teams wasn't in that department. Like it or not, McDermott from Day One has always had a RB dressed for Special Teams. He doesn't believe in using 3 people toting the rock at the same time. This week he went with Singletary and Breida. Hopefully in the future he'll choose Moss instead.

2 hours ago, SCBills said:

Breida getting stonewalled on 3rd and short was brutal.  

I was all for Breida over Moss, but that play was pretty big. 

In his postgame presser, McDermott mentioned that Breida was "very important to us on Special Teams"

I had no idea Breida played a snap on special teams.  Will be interested to see the snap counts come out.

I do think he's the backup KR/PR and they had doubts McKenzie would make it through the game (legit doubts, as it seems)

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I suspect the Breida experiment is over. I also wonder if Singletary‘s two fumbles (both out of bounds, thankfully) has spooked the staff into going back to Moss. 

I suspect we will see Breida active the next couple of weeks, for this reason.

OTOH I think it should be lobbied to have someone else inactive and use Moss, because Singletary was t its on a chicken in pass protection at times.

And thank you for mentioning Singletary's 2 fumbles.  They seem significant to me.  We're down on Allen for 2, and one of them was a hit from behind while he was scrambling and trying to pass.

• Like (+1) 2

54 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

My Steeler buddy was texting me during the game.....you guys need a running game.   Maybe someday Beane will invest more than 2 million in the backfield.

Getting real tired of watching the Offense get to the line of scrimmage with 5 wide and no backfield.  I think the jig is up with that.  NFL defensive coordinators have the blue print.  Not everyone can do what the Steelers do, but there are plenty of good defenses that we will see.

8 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Breida didn't start over Moss for his Special Teams. I'm guessing McDermott wanted to try some speed in the backfield. But speed does little good at RB without shiftiness or the ability to break tackles. As for Jones, he was the lead blocker on McKenzie's 75 yard return and played gunner. Our deficiencies on Special Teams wasn't in that department. Like it or not, McDermott from Day One has always had a RB dressed for Special Teams. He doesn't believe in using 3 people toting the rock at the same time. This week he went with Singletary and Breida. Hopefully in the future he'll choose Moss instead.

McD Said Brieda was VITAL on ST. So the coach says differently. 

Through hindsight we now know the reason Moss was scratched - because the gameplan had us running empty for ~45% of the snaps. Also through hindsight we now know that this was a terrible gameplan, one that Pittsburgh clearly spent weeks planning for and rendered those empty sets ineffective to the tune of ~4.3yds per play. 

8 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

McD Said Brieda was VITAL on ST. So the coach says differently. 

Then we have a problem. Because I could have easily seen McDermott switching back to Moss if neither contributed on Special Teams. But if McDermott considers Brieda essential on Special Teams as a replacement for guys we lost there like Daryl Johnson, Dean Marlowe, and Andre Roberts then I don't see him making the switch back and foresee Moss taking the Yeldon role full time barring injury.

Edited by BillsFanForever19