9/12/01 Gameday Thread Steelers @ Bills 2nd Half Thread

Chandler#81

Just now, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Garbage way to start the season. Looked like the same ol bills....

I agree, but I felt off about this game all week. It turns out Daboll's insanely questionable playcalling and failure to execute ended up being our demise. This is just the first game. I'm sure Dolphin fans think were done, but I'm quite sure they don't realize us losing this game will probably have Allen hanging his jewels in Hard Rock next weekend. They can puff their chest all they want, but despite today, Allen still owns the Dolphins

1 minute ago, Drifter said:

Bills played poorly. But I still maintain  the refs ***** us on calls vs no calls.

Complaining about refs is a loser reaction. The Bills were called for a ton of offensive holding, but actually should have been called for MORE. They were gifted some non-calls on what to me looked like blatant holds. Also, Wallace clearly interfered with Claypool on that little pop fly Ben R threw on 3rd down in the first half (he didn’t look back, and plowed into the receiver before it arrived). Yes, there were a couple calls/non-calls that I wish had gone the Bills way, but the Bills lost this all by themselves. Not the refs.

• Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

What happened to motion? Screens? Any sort of misdirection at all. Bills certainly choked that game away. Quite disturbing 

Exactly, every pass was a straight 3 step drop out of shotgun. There was nothing done today to beat a potential top 5 defense.

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

Hats off to the defense though. They held the Steelers down the majority of the game, and allowed only 17 points with only 1 TD (3 FGs). 

If not for a blocked punt returned for a TD, we'd be in OT right now.

This doesn't make me feel any better. Defense was solid but I also think its because the Steeler offense is sub par. New Oline, rookie RB, and now O coordinator. I'm not convinced the Bills D can stop a more high powered efficient offense. Luckily, tje AFC east doesn't have a lot of Offensive power.

3 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

This team will only go as far as Allen takes us. If he plays poorly the Bills they most likely lose. Today is a good example of that. The Steeler D is pretty stout vs the run. As a  result, I'm not surprised they weren't successful. However, the Bills really never even tried to establish a resemblance of a run game. Take some pressure of Allen. I'm not sure if this type of offense will be as successful as last year. It's only one game but I'm pretty concerned.

It's like Daboll, Dorsey, whoever the hell runs this offense could care less about a run attack or TE's. You take those 2 parts out of your offense you become very one dimensional and beatable. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think this outcome was a combination of two interdependent factors:

1) The coaches called the game aggressively because they trusted that Allen could turn it on at any minute. 

2) Allen played a subpar game. 

The coaching staff refused to make the necessary adjustments in light of Allen’s play. They kept calling an aggressive game and putting it on Allen’s shoulders when the correct thing to do was start playing more conservatively after the 1st half.

That, in turn, did not help Allen. Some I formation sets with runs and play action was the correct adjustment. Instead, they kept going 5 wide and running QB draws, playing into the Steelers’ strengths.

Overall, I think coaching adjustments are easier to implement as opposed to not adjusting to how your QB is playing and expecting him to ball out.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, CEN-CAL17 said:

Exactly, every pass was a straight 3 step drop out of shotgun. There was nothing done today to beat a potential top 5 defense.

That was really dangerous. Thought for sure they’d motion these guys around, surely McKenzie isn’t the only guy capable of running in motion on the jet sweep. 

Just now, LABILLBACKER said:

It's like Daboll, Dorsey, whoever the hell runs this offense could care less about a run attack or TE's. You take those 2 parts out of your offense you become very one dimensional and beatable. 

Running sounds great, I used to love Singletary, but I’m no longer convinced we have the guys. Running is worthless if you don’t have a decent back, or a line that can run block. KC has a guy like Edwards Helaire, that’s a huge difference. 

Bad calls.  Poor coaching decisions.  Players are not executing.  This is feels like a Dick Jauron team.  I know next week they will bounce back but MIAMI is not an easy game.  Get ready for a long, hard season.  No cake walk.

• Agree 3

4 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

Bills sucked today. Ya the refs didn't help

them at all, but can't blame anyone except the players and the coaching.

16 points on offence and 6 in the 2nd half..

All with pretty good field position

Every one of the offensive holds they called was legit and they could have called several more. Dawkins, Williams, and Feliciano in particular were terrible today.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Capco said:

I think this outcome was a combination of two interdependent factors:

1) The coaches called the game aggressively because they trusted that Allen could turn it on at any minute. 

2) Allen played a subpar game. 

The coaching staff refused to make the necessary adjustments in light of Allen’s play. They kept calling an aggressive game and putting it on Allen’s shoulders when the correct thing to do was start playing more conservatively after the 1st half.

That, in turn, did not help Allen. Some I formation sets with runs and play action was the correct adjustment. Instead, they kept going 5 wide and running QB draws, playing into the Steelers’ strengths.

Overall, I think coaching adjustments are easier to implement as opposed to not adjusting to how your QB is playing and expecting him to ball out.

nor should it all fall on his shoulders. There are games when he has to be Superman, and that’s okay… but if they think week in week out that’s the plan, he gonna get killed.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

What happened to motion? Screens? Any sort of misdirection at all. Bills certainly choked that game away. Quite disturbing 

The offense was out of sync the whole game. I saw far too many cute plays that didn't work. Lack of run attempts, inaccurate Allen, and no offense rhythm. Add in poor coaching, lack of adjustments. Blocked punt for TD, and a worn down defense in the 4th quarter.