My first hand account of 9/11 posted on the board 20 years ago

Nirvjam

Hello all.  I don't post much on the board these days, but I did a lot more 20 years ago. (Of course, I'm still a big Bills fan.)  Here is my first hand account of 9/11 that I posted at 9:40 pm on that day, including the several responses the post received.  It is an honor to post it again on this 20th anniversary.  -- Jerry (nirvjam)

Nirvjam
(UDFA)
09/11/01 09:40 PM
Back home now - Saw it with my own eyes...

Edit Message Reply 

Got home on Long Island a little while ago. I was on the railroad this morning when cell phones went off.
The word was spreading about the first plane hitting the WTC. We were traveling through the section of
Queens that provides an unobstructed view of the Twin Towers. I saw the fires burning near the top of
Tower Two. People were at first speculating that it was an accident.

As I continued to look at the Twin Towers, I saw the second plane hit Tower One. I saw the center section
engulfed in a ring of fire. I've since seen video footage from much closer, but seeing it with my own eyes was
the most terrible thing I've ever seen.

By the time I got to my office, almost thirty stories up in Midtown Manhattan, myself and other workers could
clearly view the burning towers from the offices on the south side of the building. People watched and cried
as each tower crumbled in turn to the ground. The collapse of Tower Two, which went first, looked like
another explosion from its midsection. When Tower One collapsed, it seemed to explode from the top down.

Telephone service was pretty much down, and I had difficulties calling my wife. Internet access was very slow.
I finally got through to my wife, who was very upset, and very relieved.

Shortly thereafter, people left to try to get home. The Long Island Railroad was not operating. All bridges and
tunnels were closed. Myself and a colleague started walking towards the 59th Street bridge, thinking maybe
pedestrian traffic might be allowed. We also avoided going too near other prominent buildings and areas such
as the Empire State Building, Chrysler Building, Penn Station, and Grand Central Station, etc. not knowing what
to expect.

We stopped at a place on 50th and 2nd ave where many people were viewing television reports. Here we
caught some of the various video footage that I know has been replayed throughout the day.

I was very disturbed by the footage of Palestinians on the West Bank dancing and celebrating in the streets.
I cursed loudly at the television screen.

We grabbed a quick bite (i had no real appetite to speak of), and we were taling to a woman who was right
outside the Trade Center only several blocks away when it collapsed. She was besides herself with distress
as she mentioned the many police, fireman, and emergency workers she saw underneath the falling debris.

Absolutely horrible......

Eventually, we heard reports that the Long Island Railroad had limited service out of Manhattan.
So we turned around and headed back towards Penn Station. There was indeed limited service,
and I was finally able to get on a train that limped out of Manhattan. The train ride that
usually takes 45 minutes took about 2 1/2 hours due to all sorts of delays.

I was very happy to get home.

I'm still in a state of shock over all this. The human tragedy is unimaginable. And to see these buildings wiped
off the NY skyline feels like losing a limb. I used to work at the World Trade Center and had been there many
times. I still can't believe they're gone. Things will not be the same after this. I hope we treat this like the
dastardly act of war that it is, and fully respond.

Please say a prayer for all the families and loved-ones of the victims - the airline passengers who perished so
horrifically, the workers in the buildings, the services personnel who bravely tried to help, those in DC and PA,
and all who are injured and those who still may be trapped.

Post Extras:      

jester43
(UDFA)
09/11/01 09:47 PM
sigh... bless yer heart. glad you're home (nm) [re: Nirvjam]

Post Extras:      

John from Jax
(Unregistered)
09/11/01 09:59 PM
Thank you for posting this msg [re: Nirvjam]

May God Bless you and your family...thank you for taking the time to post here....I'm glad that you're OK.

Post Extras:      

.Combo
(Unregistered)
09/11/01 10:01 PM
Thank you [re: Nirvjam]

Your report was more informative than any of the igmos the news interviewed in the street. As I read it, I felt like you transorted me right to the scene. I'm not sure i should be thanking you for that. Nice work.

I hearby challenge Mr. Bin Laden to a spearing contest....with a REAL spear.

Post Extras:      

(Practice Squad)
09/11/01 10:49 PM
try to sleep sweetheart [re: Nirvjam]

glad you and your family are safe

Post Extras:      

AKC
(UDFA)
09/11/01 11:15 PM
The images that will stay forever [re: Nirvjam]

will hopefully be the ones you can't forget of the plane hitting the building instead of a very few people in the Middle East who represent no one but their own sick persons.

Post Extras:      

Anonymous
(Unregistered)
09/11/01 11:56 PM
Re: Back home now - Saw it with my own eyes... [re: Nirvjam]

I can't imagine seeing this first hand, on t.v. was bad enough. The Middle East people dancing in the streets, shooting off guns, and the Iraqi guy around 30 talking to the camera glad that we were attacked and wishing more, made me sick. These people aren't human. God bless America! -BillsWest

Post Extras:      

Zona
(UDFA)
09/12/01 01:53 AM
Hang in there bro... [re: Nirvjam]

We are all praying for the victims from todays tragedy. Glad to hear you and yours ok...

From the great Southwest, best wishes to all east coasters

Zona

• Like (+1) 1
  • Angry 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

Thank you very much for posting this.  I wasn't here (on TBD) 20 years ago, so this is the first I've read your account.  I can't imagine the feelings you felt that day and continue to feel.  I haven't gotten through a 9/11 since without many tears.  I'm glad you made it home to your family and God bless all who didn't and the families from whom they were taken.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.