Allen comments on getting too hyped up before games

5 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I wonder how everyone feels about Charles Davis' comments after Allen missed that wide open long TD. Said he's too pumped up, referenced the full house of fans and managing emotion. Hmm.

You’ve got a point here - because we all know that passes over 40 yards have an NFL-wide 70% completion rate.

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I don't like being told I'm crazy when I'm not is all.

No one said you were crazy.  We do think you enjoy being a drama queen. The first quarter of the first game of the season.  The entire o is off.  Why don’t you give it a few?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'm trying not to overreact. There is a lot to be concerned about. Let's be honest. Allen was flat out awful today. He was widely inaccurate missing receivers short and long. Had Sanders wide open for a TD. His footwork was very poor. Frankly, he looked every bit like his rookie year than last year. I always like to see QBs have long term success vs a half season or a one season of success. We have seen several one hit wonder like Cousins, Cam, RG3, etc...Its quite possible Allen regresses this year. Today is a clear and concise example of that. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I'm trying not to overreact. There is a lot to be concerned about. Let's be honest. Allen was flat out awful today. He was widely inaccurate missing receivers short and long. Had Sanders wide open for a TD. His footwork was very poor. Frankly, he looked every bit like his rookie year than last year. I always like to see QBs have long term success vs a half season or a one season of success. We have seen several one hit wonder like Cousins, Cam, RG3, etc...Its quite possible Allen regresses this year. Today is a clear and concise example of that. 

What you outline is the definitive story of this season for the Bills.  Keep an eye on it.  

Is Josh an MVP candidate, or something like the 25th best QB in the league?  We've seen him play both roles convincingly over the last few seasons.

• Like (+1) 2

Allen reverted to rookie Josh in the 2nd half. The Steelers overwhelmed our O-line and smothered Josh on QB draws. If our playcalling doesn't slow down good D-lines with a decent running game Josh is going to be physically under major duress. That offensive game plan was sad. Why was Josh in empty all 2nd half. Wasn't it obvious we couldn't hold  their rush long enough to allow these long patterns to get separation. Josh looked confused and his decisions were questionable. All these teams have prepared for Josh running on short yardage. We need the perception of a run game. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

What you outline is the definitive story of this season for the Bills.  Keep an eye on it.  

Is Josh an MVP candidate, or something like the 25th best QB in the league?  We've seen him play both roles convincingly over the last few seasons.

I just don't like the offensive scheme. I think it's way too pass happy, puts too much pressure on Allen, is too reliant on Allen, and vulnerable especially against playoff caliber teams. Teams have much more tape on the Bills scheme and system. Defense almost always catches up with offensive systems. Imho, Cabell and company have to better establish a run game to take some off of Allen's plate. He was almost super human last year and I doubt we see that consistent version of Allen this year. In fact, if you look at the playoff games Allen wasn't that great. Time will tell. 

• Agree 1

Maybe he needs to medicate (Smoke Pot) before a game to relax 

34 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Allen reverted to rookie Josh in the 2nd half. The Steelers overwhelmed our O-line and smothered Josh on QB draws. If our playcalling doesn't slow down good D-lines with a decent running game Josh is going to be physically under major duress. That offensive game plan was sad. Why was Josh in empty all 2nd half. Wasn't it obvious we couldn't hold  their rush long enough to allow these long patterns to get separation. Josh looked confused and his decisions were questionable. All these teams have prepared for Josh running on short yardage. We need the perception of a run game. 

Plus, why open him up to injury. We have running backs, why not use them? 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

My thoughts are that he can be the MVP candidate again, but right now teams are keyed in on him 100%. They know we’re coming out 5-wide, and we’re putting the game on his shoulders. If we can establish a run game, it will do wonders for Josh.  With the amount of film on Josh and the Bills, he may struggle if we can’t establish a running game to keep defenses guessing. 

1 hour ago, Eastport bills said:

After playing the regular season last year without fans in the stands I was curious how the Bills would come out today.  Emotional, all business, something in between?  I do think the sellout home crowd atmosphere gets Allen too amped up.  When the home stadium is full and rocking I think he gets a little distracted.  What I'm looking at is a guy that wants to deliver for the crowd a little too much.  On the road I think he's more composed and steady.  And last season without fans in Orchard Park he played lights out most home games.  

The other glaring problem today was the Steelers rush never allowed Allen to get comfortable.  He was under pressure on most plays.  And off target on many throws either from pressure or anticipating pressure.  The play calling today did him no favors either.  I think that's a consensus view on the board tonight. 

Way too much empty which narrows down the play options to the QB passing the ball or running himself.  Daboll also needs to mix it up when it comes to formation and personnel packages.  Just understanding those two factors it was pretty well telegraphed what the Bills were trying to do play to play.  Even those designed runs by Allen were well telegraphed.  If I can figure out a lot of what the offense is going to do you can bet your life the Steelers coaching group knows a lot better.  A little deception with the play calls mixing things up with formation and personnel groups needs to be dialed up here.  As somebody said in another post defenses eventually figure it out and playing a talented and well-coached defense like the Steelers group being predictable is death for your offense.  Today it looked like the Steelers defensive coaches and players were siting in on the Bills offensive game planning sessions all week.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

After playing the regular season last year without fans in the stands I was curious how the Bills would come out today.  Emotional, all business, something in between?  I do think the sellout home crowd atmosphere gets Allen too amped up.  When the home stadium is full and rocking I think he gets a little distracted.  What I'm looking at is a guy that wants to deliver for the crowd a little too much.  On the road I think he's more composed and steady.  And last season without fans in Orchard Park he played lights out most home games.  

The other glaring problem today was the Steelers rush never allowed Allen to get comfortable.  He was under pressure on most plays.  And off target on many throws either from pressure or anticipating pressure.  The play calling today did him no favors either.  I think that's a consensus view on the board tonight. 

Way too much empty which narrows down the play options to the QB passing the ball or running himself.  Daboll also needs to mix it up when it comes to formation and personnel packages.  Just understanding those two factors it was pretty well telegraphed what the Bills were trying to do play to play.  Even those designed runs by Allen were well telegraphed.  If I can figure out a lot of what the offense is going to do you can bet your life the Steelers coaching group knows a lot better.  A little deception with the play calls mixing things up with formation and personnel groups needs to be dialed up here.  As somebody said in another post defenses eventually figure it out and playing a talented and well-coached defense like the Steelers group being predictable is death for your offense.  Today it looked like the Steelers defensive coaches and players were siting in on the Bills offensive game planning sessions all week.  

Great assessment. Let's hope you're right about playing better on the road. Josh will not make it through the season with this approach. The O-line has to run block and Moss needs to be the short yardage option. In the NFL, you can't be predictable. 

1 hour ago, Playoffs? said:

My thoughts are that he can be the MVP candidate again, but right now teams are keyed in on him 100%. They know we’re coming out 5-wide, and we’re putting the game on his shoulders. If we can establish a run game, it will do wonders for Josh.  With the amount of film on Josh and the Bills, he may struggle if we can’t establish a running game to keep defenses guessing. 

Agree 100%.

• Like (+1) 1