Are we going to be like the obnoxious and unbearable Patriot fans?

Leonitas

There is something nice about being a fan of a losing team. The communal suffering and commiseration. When your team starts winning its like your favorite little band blowing up on one hand its great but there is something lost.

That being said how do you feel about the sabres lately and how fun was monday night?

The better you are the bigger the bandwagon and the louder the obnoxious fans get just the nature of the beast.

10 minutes ago, Haze_21 said:

There is something nice about being a fan of a losing team. The communal suffering and commiseration. When your team starts winning its like your favorite little band blowing up on one hand its great but there is something lost.

That being said how do you feel about the sabres lately and how fun was monday night?

The better you are the bigger the bandwagon and the louder the obnoxious fans get just the nature of the beast.

Well speaking for myself.....I wouldn't say it was "something or anything nice" being a fan of a losing team. Especially the length of time it was before a respectable team was fielded lol. 

7 hours ago, Haze_21 said:

But now old friends are acting strange
They shake their heads and say I've changed
Well something's lost, but something's gained
In living every day

Joni Mitchell, Both Sides Now

I have to say I can't find a single thing about how the Bills are doing lately that I'd trade for a trip back in time to the drought years.  The old hopeful feeling that today might be the day the Bills finally figure out how to beat (fill in the blank) but deep down knowing it probably wasn't the day after all?  No, I remember the feeling from the SB years, when it was an excited yet calm feeling before a game, knowing the Bills were probably going to win again.  That was the best, and that's how I feel now too.

I've looked at life from both sides now
From win and lose and still somehow
It's life's illusions I recall
I really don't know life at all

ibid

Edited by Utah John
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

Quite simply think about how you feel right now about other organizations, players and coaches around the league.  Especially some of the lesser ones (Miami, Jets, etc.).

Now think about if you had won countless games, divisions and Super Bowls over even a few years.

I mean, I get it.  For the first time, especially after the last 24 games, I get it.

By year three in New England how are you not thinking of most teams around as tiny little amoebas, just annoyingly in your way to your ultimate goal?

Don't believe me? 

Then how worried are you, or how much thought do you give to winning the division?  It’s not an endeavor in my mind.  It’s just something, you know…you do, but not worth even talking about.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Haze_21 said:

hey there. communal suffering is so yesterday I cant stress enough how much we and the fanbase of our Buffalo Bills don't really miss 2-14, 4-12 seasons. IMO The thing lost is a lot of grief headaches and yes even hangovers....lol. y'all know what I mean I think

your last comment about obnoxious and Rude fans increasing with bandwagoners yep. except not here... the 2BD  brethren can smell a poser its not that hard but yeah if they jump on and never leave fandom *cheers** GO BILLS

ever the optimist. haha

m

The Bills fanbase is extraordinary, it's true. Especially for us die-hard fans, the drought was humbling. I really don't recall what Pats* fans were like during their first couple years of Brady*-- did they have that humility? (probably not, if you've ever known people from Boston...)

But there is also something about this team, and its culture. Winning cultures are not all the same, and the one that McD/Beane have created is spectacular. Remember when they first showed up, and they traded away players like Watkins, and Darby? You can have all the talent in the world, but if a player doesn't have the right character, it's a non-starter for McDermott, and Beane. It's one of the top priorities in their draft evaluations. Aaron Hernandez, or Albert Haynesworth would never have made it through the front door.

The current Bills team, led by Josh Allen, have fun on the field. They're humble. They support each other. They support the local community, and to a significant extent, they lead the fanbase. Maybe the (ever growing) bandwagon fans, who don't pay all that much attention to the team they're following, will become obnoxious. But, for the rest of us, I think we've become invested in making our team proud of us, as we are of them.

• Like (+1) 2

No, after our first Super bowl we will likely be worse. I know personally, after having to deal with people saying "Boy I like losing Superbowls" and other things like the Bills are a terrible team and always will be, that they will move before they ever win a Superbowl in my life, and other junk growing up .. I plan on shoving these wins down every opposing teams throats as long as I can .. Especially Pats fans!

Edited by dje85

On 9/11/2021 at 2:32 PM, Leonitas said:

If our Bills team ends up being a dynasty and winning multiple Super Bowls

First win one then think about a dynasty. The road isn’t going be easy going threw Ravens and Chargers and possibly a Chiefs team if they ever find their footing again.  Then of course whoever comes out of the NFC.. Dallas looks scary good on O, Tampa has Brady, Rams and Arizona look good.. 

In other words just enjoy the games worry about a dynasty later. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Haze_21 said:

I actually kind of get this.  Outside of the Browns how many other fanbases could say they would still be loyal to their team like that and show up?   Especially since most games in Buffalo are in the cold and wind.  It's a source of pride and beauty on its own in a way.  Even as the team is winning I still try and remember that.  You never know what tomorrow will bring.  

3 hours ago, Muppy said:

hey there. communal suffering is so yesterday I cant stress enough how much we and the fanbase of our Buffalo Bills don't really miss 2-14, 4-12 seasons. IMO The thing lost is a lot of grief headaches and yes even hangovers....lol. y'all know what I mean I think

I mean in my lifetime I only recall 2010 being 4-12 and 2001 being 3-13.  1984 the team was 2-14 but I was umm pretty small then 

It seemed the team more or less in my lifetime was 6-10 and 7-9  which always kept you glimmering there was some hope only to be disappointed.  Which is probably much worse than being flat out awful 😅  

• Like (+1) 1

One thing I've noticed is how much non bills fans hate that the bills are good. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a die hard bills fan. For whatever reason they seem to hate how happy it makes me that the bills are good. I'm not a crap talker at all when it comes to football. I truly enjoy watching and talking football, but have respect for fans of any team. People just can't seem to handle the bills being good. A co worker friend of mine the other day was talking about how bad Allen is, and I'm like dude what!? Anyway, to answer the original question though, no, I'll never be an obnoxious fan like Pats or cheifs fans 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 10/15/2021 at 4:31 PM, bigduke6 said:

pats fans were def terrible,  alot still are.   chiefs fans,  at least their message board posters,   are the friggen the worst.   ive read posts about wishing injuries on other teams players,   personal attacks,  the list goes on.  i hope beyond hope that Bills fans keep it classy.

My one cousin who I thought was an intelligent and moral individual messaged me last year that he hoped Josh Allen broke a leg because he was scared of him.  This was before the regular season KC game.  I feel horrible that I cheered that team on in the Super Bowl after that crap. I wonder if his siblings back in KC are just as bad.

Sigh you have to remember how unusual the Pats dynasty was. It lasted for over 20 years. So anyone born from 1990 on knew NOTHING but success. We also had a HIGE amount of bandwagon fans.  More likely than not the Bills won’t have the same issue since, more than likely their dynasty wouldn’t last 20 years.  (Not saying it can’t just highly unlikely)Pats technically had two different dynasties the early 2000 and then the mid 3010’s when they won 3 again.

I don’t know about fans that have been through it all. But I know bandwagon fans will be unbearable. They already are, I can’t stand seeing some people that had zero interest in watching the games talk about how great “we” are, and it’s all super bowl talk on social media, etc. 

Grosses me out! 

The answer is yes.  Very obnoxious, but in a different way.

Boston fans in general are grating.  They were lovable and easy to root for pre-2000, and even a little after.  The whole thing is summed up in that annoying kid's sign who attends parades.  The kid is like 15 now and has enjoyed like 12 championships.  They are a bit entitled to their championships now, not unlike the Yankees fans of the late 90s that they loathed so much.

Buffalo fans are like ooze that gets in everywhere.  Part obsession, part inferiority complex. Someone on the telecast says an off-handed remark in good fun about Buffalo and he gets swamped with letters.  A columnist dares rate Buffalo too low in the power rankings, he gets swamped with letters.  We travel (and also have many, many expatriots) to away games and loudly tell everyone how great they are and make a big mess.

During the 05-07 run, the Sabres and their fans were hated by a number of other fanbases, mainly in the Southern markets.  We would flood their arenas and forums, tell them how terrible their fan bases were, and be loud and obnoxious (like Leafs fans do to us).   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.