Instant trivia - How many yards passing did Big Ben have in the playoff loss to the Browns?

ChevyVanMiller

The top storyline going into tomorrow’s game seems to be that the Steelers will want to run the ball heavily. That may be true, but I wouldn’t be so sure that Big Ben won’t come out slinging it.

I feel confident that the Bills will handle the Steelers regardless of what their offensive game plan ends up being. 

I found it interesting that many pundits seem to think that Big Ben doesn’t have it in him anymore to be a top-flight gunslinger. Without cheating, take your best guess as to how many yards he finished with in the playoff game last year against the Browns?

Scroll down to find the answer, then comment on how close you were to the actual stat.

CD279EE9-62B6-4F7F-A671-B7393FA962B0.jpeg

PIT

B. Roethlisberger. 47-68, 501 YDS, 4 TD, 4 INT

Edited by ChevyVanMiller

24 minutes ago, Beast said:

68 attempts will get you that and then some.

Exactly.

It's crazy what the NFL has become. The opening night game a perfect example. A 44 year old QB throws the ball 50 times ( 3 of them throw away's at the end but still) and a QB coming off not playing for almost a year and dealing with a upper throwing motion muscle issue, the team throws caution to the wind and let's him attempt 58 passes.

Allen in his career has yet to throw 50 or more times in a game. His career high in attempts for a game is 49 and he's only had two games for his career with 45+ attempts. I'm a strong believer that that is about to change drastically. Until the Thursday night Cowboys/Bucs game I thought Allen should be the easy favorite to lead the league in attempts and passing yards this year as it looks like we are doubling down on our passing offense. But now I am not so sure. Was really shocked that the Cowboys allowed Dak to throw it as many times as he did. Maybe it was match up driven but that would ignore the fact that the Cowboys passing game pretty much picked up from where it left off last year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

The top storyline going into tomorrow’s game seems to be that the Steelers will want to run the ball heavily. That may be true, but I wouldn’t be so sure that Big Ben won’t come out slinging it.

I feel confident that the Bills will handle the Steelers regardless of what their offensive game plan ends up being. 

I found it interesting that many pundits seem to think that Big Ben doesn’t have it in him anymore to be a top-flight gunslinger. Without cheating, take your best guess as to how many yards he finished with in the playoff game last year against the Browns?

Scroll down to find the answer, then comment on how close you were to the actual stat.

CD279EE9-62B6-4F7F-A671-B7393FA962B0.jpeg

PIT

B. Roethlisberger. 47-68, 501 YDS, 4 TD, 4 INT

I haven't heard many pundits saying Big Ben is too old. Why I think the Bills win this game is two-fold. We win hands down two very important matchups. First off, the Stealers line, it stinks. The Bills Front seven should win this matchup handily. We should both contain the Pittsburgh run so that it does not win the game for them and we should hit Big Ben consistently.

Secondly, the Stealers are hurting at CB. Both in level of starter and overall depth. We should shred them with our for-wide if our blocking of their blitz works. Last year, we had trouble with their great pass rush in the first half but made adjustments and JA17 bravely hung in a crumbling pocket and hit wide-open receivers Beasley, Davis and especially Diggs in the second half to take a commanding lead. This year, our OL might be better with Ford in their and we added Sanders added to the receiver room.

You cannot find big matchup wins for the Stealers in this game. You can find small ones I think, like their front seven vs. our OL and then there's our notoriously weak run defense between the twenties and Star is out (again) But to tell you the truth, I like Harry to win his matchup. I like our whole DL to win their matchups. You also might favor the Stealers WRs vs. our secondary but we should do OK. I'd say fine if our pass rush wins a lot. We'll see what Leslie calls. Do we attempt to get by the Stealer OL or do we just try to drive the Stealer OL backwards? Tough to hit QBs using the latter technique. I hope we play rather aggressively with our front four. Maybe let the back six or seven worry about screens and such.

This is why I think we win and win handily.

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

>500 yds, but deceptive as hell

Big Ben threw 4 picks and had a "bad throw" percentage of 20.9.  He had a decent completion percentage of almost 70%, but more than 2/3 of his passing yards were air yards, in part indicating that the throws were a bit off target and didn't hit the receivers so they could run

He's an aging gladiator, and he fought like hell to get his team back into it after a fumbled snap, 2 picks and a punt spotted Cleveland a 28-0 lead in just over 13 minutes.  But his picks also put them there.

11 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

2 mediocre teams. Somebody had to win..

12-4 & 11-5 records last year = not mediocre. You can make the case for the Steelers if u really want to due to their terrible playoff performance, but that's really nitpicking. I hope the Bills destroy the Steelers tomorrow and I don't mind being wrong unlike some folks here, but I think they are going to give the Bills some fits. 

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

12 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Exactly.

It's crazy what the NFL has become. The opening night game a perfect example. A 44 year old QB throws the ball 50 times ( 3 of them throw away's at the end but still) and a QB coming off not playing for almost a year and dealing with a upper throwing motion muscle issue, the team throws caution to the wind and let's him attempt 58 passes.

Allen in his career has yet to throw 50 or more times in a game. His career high in attempts for a game is 49 and he's only had two games for his career with 45+ attempts. I'm a strong believer that that is about to change drastically. Until the Thursday night Cowboys/Bucs game I thought Allen should be the easy favorite to lead the league in attempts and passing yards this year as it looks like we are doubling down on our passing offense. But now I am not so sure. Was really shocked that the Cowboys allowed Dak to throw it as many times as he did. Maybe it was match up driven but that would ignore the fact that the Cowboys passing game pretty much picked up from where it left off last year.

This was my exact thought after that game also. Running the ball is becoming more & more obsolete these days. Kyle Orton led the league one year in total passing yards for example, that doesn't make him an elite QB though. It all depends on where and when you pick up those yards + whether you turn those drives into TDs.

But I do think Allen will be among the top 3 in all purpose TDs, but I can see a lot of other QBs ahead of him in passing yards. I think the defense will be much improved so Allen won't have to put the offense on his back nearly every game.