300+ Yard Passing Games

Protocal69

The Cowboys had a good gameplan, using short passes to keep the Bucs pass rush in check.

But while the gameplan was good, the execution wasn't.  Lamb is young and has a lot of flash in his game, but he also had a lot of slop.  Zeke has lost a step and it showed.  Dak played well but took crucial sacks in the red zone that knocked Dallas out of field goal range, which was weird, because he handled the rush well most of the game.

Overall, there just wasn't enough polish on the execution side for Dallas, and that can be attributed to coaching and preparation.

The same can be said about the Bucs  but Brady, Gronk, and Brown made enough clutch plays to pull out a sloppy win.

3 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Last night, Both of the QBs arms looked like pop-guns compared to the cannon JA17 brings.  I'm not sure how that really translates into more wins this is just something you notice when watching any non-Josh Allen QB.

I think we can attack anywhere because of it. It is too hard, too risky, for any CB to attempt to jump a JA pass....

On the downside, Josh is still working on that bomb..... Can you throw a bomb fast?  If there's a way, Josh will find it. If not, maybe he'll incorporate a long, lob bomb into his game.

Interesting how you said about Josh's pop in his arm.

When you watch the hype videos on your phone you have to move the screen around and watch each section twice because the ball moves from one side of the screen to the other so fast.

Sometimes even the camera people on the sidelines even miss some of the ball flight to the receiver.

22 minutes ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

A 300 yard game isn't that great on 45-50 attempts, and it just ok on 40 attempts. A lot of QBs are going to hit 300 this year and a fair number may hit 350. The new benchmark has to be either 375 or 400 yard games.

If you are going to throw the ball almost 60 times, you really should be at least in the 375-400 yard range...

47 minutes ago, billybrew1 said:

Holding calls: This is a place where Josh Allen is changing the game I think. It seems to me that Josh overcomes what used to be impossible with regularity now. I think it pisses him off to tell you the truth. Just a couple weeks ago even in preseason, the refs gave us a couple holding calls and Josh scored a TD anyhow. Both calls were completely invisible with no sign of a penalty on the number of the player called. Being able to beat a holding call like that makes me love Josh Allen all the more and love being a true-blue Bills fan.

I think that play was like 2 or third down and 24 and he just through the ball into the endzone for the td thing of beauty 🤔

3 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Last night, Both of the QBs arms looked like pop-guns compared to the cannon JA17 brings.  I'm not sure how that really translates into more wins this is just something you notice when watching any non-Josh Allen QB.

Absolutely!!!  I am VERY aware of that these days as well.  When I see most other QBs passes, they just look slower - even when you can tell they're trying to throw hard.  Some folks call it arm arrogance - whatever - I call it Awesome!!!  So much fun to watch!

5 minutes ago, scuba guy said:

I think it pisses him off to tell you the truth.

100% Agree!  That's his killer desire-to-win attitude.

7 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

I like many of us watched the Thursday night game last night between Dallas and Tampa Bay but I just kept thinking about how well Brady and Dak played but when I thought about Dak performance specifically the main thing I was thinking about was how Dak team has lost another game with him throwing for over 300 yards ( 400 in this case).

For the record in his career Dak is 9-8 when he passes for over 300 yards and has lost 7 out of his 10 last games when he goes for over 300 yards passing

In contrast Josh Allen is 9-0 when he passes for over 300 yards with a 73% completion rate. Last night Dak threw the ball 59 times to get to 400 and the only times Allen had to throw the ball more than 40 times was twice to get to 300 yards ironically vs the Jets both times. (46 att and 43 att respectively)

In summary it just really made me appreciate Josh Allen performance just a tad more in 2020 and hope he continues his trend of him having great passing games and getting the win which is the most important thing.

That is what makes Allen different.  Vast majority of passing yards come from being behind.  Allen is one of the few who can take over a game.  Imo its his automatic short to intermediate passes.  He stay in front of the chains and doesnt need big plays to move the ball.  

8 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

I like many of us watched the Thursday night game last night between Dallas and Tampa Bay but I just kept thinking about how well Brady and Dak played but when I thought about Dak performance specifically the main thing I was thinking about was how Dak team has lost another game with him throwing for over 300 yards ( 400 in this case).

For the record in his career Dak is 9-8 when he passes for over 300 yards and has lost 7 out of his 10 last games when he goes for over 300 yards passing

In contrast Josh Allen is 9-0 when he passes for over 300 yards with a 73% completion rate. Last night Dak threw the ball 59 times to get to 400 and the only times Allen had to throw the ball more than 40 times was twice to get to 300 yards ironically vs the Jets both times. (46 att and 43 att respectively)

In summary it just really made me appreciate Josh Allen performance just a tad more in 2020 and hope he continues his trend of him having great passing games and getting the win which is the most important thing.

Normally that performance on Thursday should've been MORE than enough in any game. It's a testament to how horrible the Cowboys defense is and the Brady factor. I hate them as much as anyone else here, but I'm frankly impressed by the way Prescott played. That pass through Ceedee Lamb's hands was a Josh Allen-esque throw that should've been caught, not picked off. Opening day losses are the absolute worst and I hate "moral victories," but that loss against the champs is certainly something to build off of. Great game. 

300 yard games aren't really an important thing to measure success or winning. There's really just a yardage floor that you need to be able to hit consistently in order to not hurt your team's chances, and that's probably around 240 or 250. I would assume that there is a similar correlation to winning when throwing for 250 yards as there is for throwing 300 yards, but someone would have to do the analysis. So as long as you can get in that range you are doing fine.

Now, if you struggle to get over 200 yards (like Tyrod Taylor often would) that's really hurting your chances.

Dak is always throwing for tons of yards because he has to. He is always involved in shoot outs. I remember a few years ago when the Saints had a horrible defense. Brees would still be putting up insane passing numbers each year, throwing for 5,000 yards, and they still couldn't make the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, mushypeaches said:

Throw early to run late.  I love that we've embraced that mentality and with improved line performance this year, we should be even better at it

That's probably the downside of having an E. Elliott on your team.  It makes it harder to justify throwing earlier.  In that respect may have been better off not drafting Etienne as would have put more emphasis on running.

13 hours ago, billybrew1 said:

Holding calls: This is a place where Josh Allen is changing the game I think. It seems to me that Josh overcomes what used to be impossible with regularity now. I think it pisses him off to tell you the truth. Just a couple weeks ago even in preseason, the refs gave us a couple holding calls and Josh scored a TD anyhow. Both calls were completely invisible with no sign of a penalty on the number of the player called. Being able to beat a holding call like that makes me love Josh Allen all the more and love being a true-blue Bills fan.

Josh Allen is one of the best, if not the best QB in the league  on 3rd and 10+ situations. The numbers have shown this for two straight years now too. 

17 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I also remember during those days when people were adamant that 300 yard games didn’t matter. 

After all, 300 yards passing is the only true measure of a QBs quality, 😁

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, HalftimeAdjustment said:

A 300 yard game isn't that great on 45-50 attempts, and it just ok on 40 attempts. A lot of QBs are going to hit 300 this year and a fair number may hit 350. The new benchmark has to be either 375 or 400 yard games.

I've been thinking we will see a 6,000 yard passer for a while now. And that was before the switch to 17 games. Dak is on a heck of a run going back to last year. My favorite to reach 6000 yards would have been Allen because I think Daboll is going to call a ton of passing plays this year. But after watch Dallas start the season where they left off last year, the favorite probably has to be Dak.

375ypg for 16 games is 6,000 yards. Even though we have a 17 game season now I would think a good amount of starting QB's will really only play 16 games due to sitting out a game at the end of the season. Dak's last four full games starting has him on pace for like 7,300 yards over a 16 game span. Even a drastic drop could have him right around 6,000 yards.

I'd like to see the Bills and Allen stay in contention for the top passing offense in the league but at the same time being far more efficient. Where as Dak may have to average 52 attempts a game maybe Allen can average only 42.

Individual stats are all fine and dandy, and make good eye candy ie; Dak, but really,  it means virtually nothing if your QB puts up big numbers and the team still loses, if you don’t win your division, and win in the post season…, if those things aren’t happening the team is an also ran, it is what it is. 

Go Bills!!!

18 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I also remember during those days when people were adamant that 300 yard games didn’t matter. 

They don't. Win loss record for 2020 in 300 yard games was 74 wins against 64 losses. That's a 53.6 % win rate.  Hardly overwhelming and Allen's 9-0 record accounts for nearly the entire difference.  

For 2021, it's 1-1 so far.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Yeah, but when is Josh going to finally have a 500 yard game, he still hasn't had one yet.

I know, it’s really disappointing.

14 hours ago, Blainorama5 said:

Absolutely!!!  I am VERY aware of that these days as well.  When I see most other QBs passes, they just look slower - even when you can tell they're trying to throw hard.  Some folks call it arm arrogance - whatever - I call it Awesome!!!  So much fun to watch!

100% Agree!  That's his killer desire-to-win attitude.

Allen’s arm is some next level stuff.  Brady still zings it really well and insanely accurate, so impressive, especially at 56 years old.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

They don't. Win loss record for 2020 in 300 yard games was 74 wins against 64 losses. That's a 53.6 % win rate.  Hardly overwhelming and Allen's 9-0 record accounts for nearly the entire difference.  

For 2021, it's 1-1 so far.

It absolutely means something when you have a QB who is incapable of throwing for that many yards in a league when just about everyone can. 

The point isn’t that throwing for 300 yards means you’re going to win. It’s that sometimes you’re going to be in games when your QB is going to need to put up a ton of yards and points and up until Allen we’ve shuffled many QBs who couldn’t do that. 

23 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Would you swap Zeke for Motor even up?  Sounds like no.  I don't know, but Zeke never strikes me as a guy who's fully into the game, emotionally and intellectually.  He's a bull with the ball, but he often strikes me as disengaged a lot of the rest of the time.  

Agreed.  Zeke would be better off doing that eatin thing in his Lambo at home.

21 hours ago, Bangarang said:

It absolutely means something when you have a QB who is incapable of throwing for that many yards in a league when just about everyone can. 

The point isn’t that throwing for 300 yards means you’re going to win. It’s that sometimes you’re going to be in games when your QB is going to need to put up a ton of yards and points and up until Allen we’ve shuffled many QBs who couldn’t do that. 

Those are two different things.  Having Matt Ryan who can throw for 400 yards a game doesn't translate into wins. Having Jamis Winston who can throw for a ton of yards a game but throws high number of interceptions doesn't translate into wins.

There are only two measures of a QB that translates into wins. TD:INT ratio and YPA.  Allen is a star because he can get to 300 yards on 28 to 34 attempts where other guys might take 40+ attempts.