Star is OUT for Steelers game

YoloinOhio

Star takes a year off to protect his health, family, I respect that. Then you find out he’s likely unvaccinated based on him being sent away for 5 days.. huh I have a bit of issue with that as it doesn’t seem to go hand in hand.. 

He has now missed a year and one game, hopefully no more. Sucks  Hopefully he makes a huge difference to our d when he returns. But Beane preaches availability more than anything, he can’t be thrilled. 

Anyhow I’m actually ok for this week as I don’t believe the Steelers oline is anything special. I think we will be fine. 

42 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Viewing the investment they’ve made in him compared to what he’s actually given them, there is no way that they’re satisfied.

Link?

You don't have any idea what the front office or the coaching staff feels about what he has given them.

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

Correct, I don’t claim to read peoples’ minds.  When they release him on June 1, 2022, please remember this take.

If they release him, it will be because they feel it is in the best interest of the team in that moment. It will say nothing about what he has given the team in his past play.

• Dislike 1

best ability is.......availability.    i know Star has played for us,  sure doesnt feel like it tho.     guys in charge arent real keen on paying guys tons of money who dont play or are starting to be considered unreliable.

simple economics.

Edited by bigduke6

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Clearly by "the wrong way" you mean the opposite way from you, which will generally point me in exactly the right direction. 

There is a group on here always looking for scapegoats. Star, Tremaine and a few others are the ones that group has recently settled on, and clearly the anger is there for you using the word "boo boo" for an injury to a guy who has missed five games to injury in seven years of DL play. I'd love to see you call it a soft tissue boo-boo to his face.

Was he expensive? Yeah. Higher-level FAs get good deals. But McDermott knew exactly who Star was, and knew he needed him, and brought him along to Buffalo. And in 2018 our defense allowed 4.2 YPC, in 2019, 4.3 YPC and last year when he opted out, 4.6 YPC. McDermott was right that he needed him. The years Star was here the defense took a major step up to very very good in 2018 and was elite in 2019, and without him last year (yes, there were other reasons, but he was a big one), took a real step back. 

need him?  In particular….Star was the guy we needed?  

I think that’s a bit far fetched.  An actual 1tech DT is what we needed.  We didn’t have one player capable of being a starting one tech in the NFL last season.  Harrison and butler played the position better at the end of the year when we were playing poo poo offenses and QBs.  But they aren’t good 1techs imo.  

Star does what he’s supposed to do and got paid much more than most players get paid to play that role.  Now…..after sitting out a year, he’s hurt already……just as I predicted.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

I think many of us understand the role Star is SUPPOSED to play.  

He rarely plays it.

You can’t evaluate a player in a vacuum. Because of scare resources and a salary cap, personnel decisions have opportunity costs.  Signing Star and paying him what they’ve paid him cost them other opportunities.  That’s a fact.  Viewing the investment they’ve made in him compared to what he’s actually given them, there is no way that they’re satisfied.  Some of it was beyond their control, but that’s what happens when you overpay.  

Separately I have my suspicions about whether the guy actually loves football, but that’s another matter.

Just not true. In each of his last four seasons, he's played all 16 games. So that simply is not true.

In his career, and counting this week as an absence, he's played 108 out of 114 games.

As Alpha and many others have said, McDermott and the Bills can be, and in fact are satisfied, and they have made that clear again and again and again. It's you who are not satisfied. People have to choose whether to believe McDermott and the Bills ... or you and a few guys on here. Not much of a choice.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

... I won’t even bother because it would take too long and I’m headed to Niagara Falls today with my Fiancé and then to Waxlight A Vin for dinner later.  So gonna save my energy for that 😎 

Save some pennies for that while you're at it

29 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

best ability is.......availability.    i know Star has played for us,  sure doesnt feel like it tho.     guys in charge arent real keen on paying guys tons of money who dont play or are starting to be considered unreliable.

simple economics.

He's played 32 out of 32 games for us. This is his first injury to keep him out of a Buffalo game. His first game missed to injury since 2015.

And if you want to blame him for opting out for COVID, fine, but that's something we're getting from fans, not from the NFL. Coaches, players and teams understand valuing family health over football, especially last year before vaccines.  He didn't play after opting out, but he didn't get paid either, excepting a very small (compared to NFL salaries) stipend ($150K if I remember right), that is only an advance from his salary this year. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Correct, I don’t claim to read peoples’ minds.  When they release him on June 1, 2022, please remember this take.

The word is "if," not "when." By using "when," you are indeed confusing a guess with a fact.

More, if they do cut him, it is likely to (unofficially) be just as much about vaccination status as performance satisfaction. If they were unsatisfied with his performance, it would only have been prudent to bring in a space eater type to get him a year in the system, either in the draft or in F.A. They didn't do that.

30 minutes ago, NewEra said:

need him?  In particular….Star was the guy we needed?  

I think that’s a bit far fetched.  An actual 1tech DT is what we needed.  We didn’t have one player capable of being a starting one tech in the NFL last season.  Harrison and butler played the position better at the end of the year when we were playing poo poo offenses and QBs.  But they aren’t good 1techs imo.  

Star does what he’s supposed to do and got paid much more than most players get paid to play that role.  Now…..after sitting out a year, he’s hurt already……just as I predicted.  

Yes, an actual 1-tech is what we needed, most particularly a space eater for 1st and 2nd downs to get the blockers off Edmunds and Oliver, and that's what Star is. Would they rather have a guy who can also rush the passer? Yeah, that's logical. Would they rather have one who both eats space and then is able to make tackles as well? Almost surely. Would they have to pay a hell of a lot more for that kind of unicorn of a guy? Yeah, they would. 

Does Star do what they need him to do, to eat blocks, singles and doubles, to not be pushed back, to clog things up in the middle? Yeah, he does. Again, they knew what they were getting with Star. They'd coached the guy for years. They knew what they needed and they brought in Star to get it done. Star or a guy like him is what they needed.

As for injuries, if he misses a bunch of games this year, you'll have a point. Missing just one so far is not a big deal.

Phillips, Butler and Zimmer are all decent 1-techs, Harry and Zimmer probably more so this year, but they're not the same type as Star. They're all more capable of penetrating and filling holes and less capable of being a space eater. I wouldn't want to see them only those three all season, but in one game against an OL that doesn't appear to be very good, I think it should be a good test.

And as for his pay, there just aren't that many guys who can do a really good job as a space eater. Those guys do get paid, and not much less than Star. Second contract FAs who go in the first week or so do tend to get overpaid a little bit. If you need a guy to come to Buffalo after a mediocre year when Tyrod was your QB, you settle for that.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Dawg, have a great time with you’re gal.  I honestly don’t understand the skewed takes on Star.  I’m not happy he’s unvaccinated., as you’d think a guy who opted out for his health would make a better choice, and yes that’s my bias.  He’s coming back after a year off, is leaner (people speculated he would be fat), he’s a 1 tech guy so he’s a space eater that held up well in 19.

I don’t want to go this far, and will not personally make a comment on a specific poster, but it’s almost like some don’t understand or played organized football.  His role is to clog up lanes, allow guys like Oliver to penetrate, keep the lanes from opening by opposing RB’s.  He’ll never be the guy with a ton of sacks.  It’s really the unsung hero job.  I played LB and RB over time, and my buddy in front of me who was this DT In HS, used to tell me he hates he doesn’t have to get the glory as we played a 4-3.  I kept reassuring him and others too, it’s ok, because he makes it easier for us to make those tackles mid field, my other bud to get the interior pressure, and so on.  This is how I coached my defenses as well, as that was youth ball so limited.  I could never make the commitment to coach in HS.  It’s too much when you have a career that requires you to travel.

Anyway, ask Edmunds, Oliver, Harry, and Milano if they are happy he’s back.  Ask Frazier what it means to have him back.  A minor calf injury is enough to keep you off the field for a game, but it’s not like he tore his ACL.  As to cutting him last year, it was just said above, anyone feeling that way needs to look at Spotrac again or OTC.  It costs more to cut him than keep him and he can contribute on this team.

So I guess Harry practiced Friday, so he’ll probably get 50-55% of the snaps tomorrow.

Tomorrow, let’s not get wrapped in the weeds and just Go Bills!

I don’t think many of us question his role, just his availability. The two greatest abilities are responsibility and availability. We know Star was brought in to clog up the lanes, but he hasn’t been on the field to perform such duties. He’s only clogging up the salary cap at this point in time. This is where the frustration lies.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yes, an actual 1-tech is what we needed, most particularly a space eater for 1st and 2nd downs to get the blockers off Edmunds and Oliver, and that's what Star is. Would they rather have a guy who can also rush the passer? Yeah, that's logical. Would they rather have one who both eats space and then is able to make tackles as well? Almost surely. Would they have to pay a hell of a lot more for that kind of unicorn of a guy? Yeah, they would. 

Does Star do what they need him to do, to eat blocks, singles and doubles, to not be pushed back, to clog things up in the middle? Yeah, he does. Again, they knew what they were getting with Star. They'd coached the guy for years. They knew what they needed and they brought in Star to get it done. Star or a guy like him is what they needed.

As for injuries, if he misses a bunch of games this year, you'll have a point. Missing just one so far is not a big deal.

Phillips, Butler and Zimmer are all decent 1-techs, Harry and Zimmer probably more so this year, but they're not the same type as Star. They're all more capable of penetrating and filling holes and less capable of being a space eater. I wouldn't want to see them only those three all season, but in one game against an OL that doesn't appear to be very good, I think it should be a good test.

And as for his pay, there just aren't that many guys who can do a really good job as a space eater. Those guys do get paid, and not much less than Star. Second contract FAs who go in the first week or so do tend to get overpaid a little bit. If you need a guy to come to Buffalo after a mediocre year when Tyrod was your QB, you settle for that.

Let's not forget that in Phillip's rookie year, after just a few games, he was taking 50% of the 1-tech snaps.  That is that in his rookie year he was already on the verge of taking the lion's share of snaps.  After the serious injury he suffered, last year was just about getting healed and adding to his strength and learning.  Reports say that he is a bit bigger and stronger than ever before. This year it appears that he just might be fully healthy and as such IMO he just might be a step up from Star.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

He's played 32 out of 32 games for us. This is his first injury to keep him out of a Buffalo game. His first game missed to injury since 2015.

And if you want to blame him for opting out for COVID, fine, but that's something we're getting from fans, not from the NFL. Coaches, players and teams understand valuing family health over football, especially last year before vaccines.  He didn't play after opting out, but he didn't get paid either, excepting a very small (compared to NFL salaries) stipend ($150K if I remember right), that is only an advance from his salary this year. 

thats all fine and well,   but the NFL is more about, what have u done for me lately,  and lately,  he hasnt played.    he puts in nearly a full season,  plays well,  then peeps will stop with the doubting.    its really on him.  until then...

I don't doubt that his impact on the defense will be felt, but at this point, Star is becoming just a headache. 

Opt out of last season due to COVID, then refuse to get vaccinated to prevent that same COVID (and worse variants) because....reasons(?), and after alllll that, he's out opening day & for god knows how long thereafter...

But yeah... I'm sure the guy is doing absolutely everything in his power & busting his a** to get back on the field for the good of the team 🙄

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

I don’t think many of us question his role, just his availability. The two greatest abilities are responsibility and availability. We know Star was brought in to clog up the lanes, but he hasn’t been on the field to perform such duties. He’s only clogging up the salary cap at this point in time. This is where the frustration lies.

Solly, fair take from you, amd Im sure some others.  There are a lot of takes that just don’t understand his role.  It’s like my senior, senior dad, who wants to fine every player when they don’t make a pro bowl play.  I listen and say yes sir, given the man served in Korea and more of course.

I don’t know what the deal is with his calf, but it could be simply a one week deal, and he plays the rest of the season.  Solly he missed 3 games over two years early in his career.  Give a 7 year history prior to 20, sounds like people are angry he opted out.  I’m not from a medical position, but I was p..seed off he didn’t get vacc.  Separate that from his calf as that is normal. He was a durable player in 18-19 for us, and certainly before us in Car.. To be clear bud, I’m ticked he didn’t get vacc., but I do respect a persons choice.  I just found it hypocritical he opts out and then doesn’t get vacc.  This is about availability mods to football.  I could care less about health privacy issues, and feel I need to say it.

I believe it’s possible he’s there fir Miami and we don’t miss him again for the next 16 games.  I think that is more plausible.