Star is OUT for Steelers game

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, machine gun kelly said:

I’d love it if we picked up a one tech DT at 30, but they usually don’t drop.  Then again to you’re point, Milano, and Diggs we’re 5th round picks.  My point is simply it’s not Madden, and just more skill and luck when you get a star at the end of the round.  I love what I think GROOT will be, but it hasn’t happened yet.  I’m trying to temper my enthusiasm until it happens.  We may have lucked into him given he didn’t play the year before, and really only had one top college year.  That’s not normal.

Please don’t take I don’t want a Vea.  I’d love to, but not normal when you’re picking at the end of the draft as I believe our team is that good we will pick towards the end of the draft each year.

Jeffrey Simmons went in the 2nd. Rousseau slid down. Weirder things have happened 

10 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Star has been such an albatross.  Terrible, awful signing.

Yeah it was either a terrible free agent signing or the worst free agent signing in Bills history.

If he ends up on IR the latter will be cemented.

Lotulelei wouldn't be on an NFL roster now had the Bills cut him at any time this offseason or this summer.

Edited by BADOLBILZ
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So is the predominant viewpoint in this thread that Star injured his calf because he is lazy? Or because he opted out last year? Not really understanding the complaint here.

It’s neither IMO.  He’s a below average DT making above average salary.  He opted out last year because of COVID and now refuses to get a vaccine which some view as contradictory.  The status quo wanted Star cut 2-3 years ago because he doesn’t show up on the stat sheet if/when he plays and represents an area of weakness for the defense (defending the run).  Me personally, I was holding out judgement for this year, but him missing the opener for a calf injury might be telling, or not.  

23 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

So is the predominant viewpoint in this thread that Star injured his calf because he is lazy? Or because he opted out last year? Not really understanding the complaint here.

I think most people's angst is built around administration's apparent commitment to the player via his salary and their inability or refusal to acquire a sufficient replacement or backup given his apparent importance with respect to his lengthy period of absence and current unavailabilty.

In short, he makes a crap ton of money, there is a large difference in perceived value between the club and the fanbase, he has been unavailable for more than a year, and they haven't chosen to fill the hole that he creates either through his absence, his lack of ability, or both.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Right!?

How is he still on the street, thought he still played well last year?

Dunno what he's asking for. Also have to remember that as a vested veteran his whole salary is guaranteed if he's on the roster week 1.  That's a turnoff for lots of teams. Waiting a week gives them a lot more flexibility.

6 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Dunno what he's asking for. Also have to remember that as a vested veteran his whole salary is guaranteed if he's on the roster week 1.  That's a turnoff for lots of teams. Waiting a week gives them a lot more flexibility.

hopefully next week then. Id hate to lose a game because of cheapness. I expect to win but nothing is guaranteed.

I understand how everyone feels, but getting injured isn’t really his fault. I’m sure he didn’t plan it. Plus he’s just a rotational guy with a limited skill set. Some people seem to really overestimate his impact, IMO. The Bills run D was exactly all everything two years ago when he was on the team. I really don’t think his absence is the end of the world.

10 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

There you are, our resident weather vane pointing in the exact wrong direction at all times.

Star’s opt out last year froze his salary and limited their flexibility.  He sat out and didn’t even get vaccinated!  Now he’s back but has a soft tissue boo boo and is once again clogging up space - under the salary cap, not on the field.  On a per-dollar basis no one has been worse for the Bills than Star over the past three years.  No one.

Utter nonsense.

6 hours ago, Back2Buff said:

Star doesn't want to play football.  God knows how many games he will play this year before being cut next year and never playing again.  As soon as he got paid, the guy was good to never play another snap.  He got what he wanted.

Utter nonsense. Sorry Thurman for stealing your line.

11 hours ago, jletha said:

So many of us were hoping (maybe too much) for this guys return to free up Oliver and Edmunds and others to play more to their strengths. I was always worried when "We get Star back..." was always such a key feature for how we were going to improve our run D because he hadnt played in a year.

And now here we are...

Or a key feature in Oliver's development in general. A top 10 pick should be dominant regardless of who he lines up next to. In fact, OLIVER should be the guy to free up everybody else. We'll see how he fares this Sunday.

Edited by ChronicAndKnuckles

10 hours ago, Seoulofstone said:

I like Star. I remember him making a stop on fourth and short in the playoffs against the Texans.

The issue I have is that after taking the year off (a year when he.could have made a difference), he gives the lie to that by not getting vaccinated. That doesn't engender sympathy from anyone. Either play or retire.

He skips voluntary workouts, is conspicuous by his absence, barely plays in preseason. Now misses the first game.

The Bills have a lot invested in him and his absence creates a domino effect on what other players responsibilities are on the DLine. 

As far as what he did two years ago well that's what it is. On the one hand he doesn't get enough credit but on the other he is highly paid for his position so it's reasonable to have expectations. But he needs to show up this year.

I don't have time for giving him a free pass.

As for the expectations, he's met them. They're the coach's expectations, not yours. 

44 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

It’s neither IMO.  He’s a below average DT making above average salary.  He opted out last year because of COVID and now refuses to get a vaccine which some view as contradictory.  The status quo wanted Star cut 2-3 years ago because he doesn’t show up on the stat sheet if/when he plays and represents an area of weakness for the defense (defending the run).  Me personally, I was holding out judgement for this year, but him missing the opener for a calf injury might be telling, or not.  

41 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

I think most people's angst is built around administration's apparent commitment to the player via his salary and their inability or refusal to acquire a sufficient replacement or backup given his apparent importance with respect to his lengthy period of absence and current unavailabilty.

In short, he makes a crap ton of money, there is a large difference in perceived value between the club and the fanbase, he has been unavailable for more than a year, and they haven't chosen to fill the hole that he creates either through his absence, his lack of ability, or both.

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I think the predominant view point continues to be that fans severely overrate this guy. It’s pretty incredible.

What does any of this have to do with his calf injury? The way this thread reads you would think the calf injury is his fault or somehow Beane's fault for overpaying him. Personally I think he's a pretty good 1 tech that we overpaid to make sure the role was filled, and now he is missing a game because sometimes football players miss games. If you think Star was a bad signing, fine, but a random calf injury keeping him out for one game doesn't add any weight to that opinion.

9 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I understand the disappointment, but the Bills won 15 games last year without Star, the DL is well versed on playing without him there,  and are facing one of the worst and least experienced OLs in the league. If this is what leads to a loss, this team has much bigger issues. 

based on McDermott’s comments on his injury earlier this week, I’d expect him back for week 2; he doesn’t have an injury history since he’s been here . 

Agreed

Meanwhile people are glossing over the #2 WR with a foot injury.   I remember reading countless posts this off-season on how Sanders would be an upgrade over Brown due to availability.