Star is OUT for Steelers game

YoloinOhio

12 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Zimmer would be out of position their too, but they like his versatility.

Coming into the season, I too felt that Zimmer was strictly a 1T guy

Per the depth chart on Buffalobills.com, 1TDT is where they have him listed, as his primary position.

It's not because there's someone else listed as #3 behind Oliver and Butler

So I think this reflects how the Bills are looking at him right now.

36 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

According to the depth chart, they've decided that Zimmer can play 1TDT.  I don't think Oliver is going to be asked to play 1TDT this season.  The guy who is going to be put out of position again (if any) is Butler

Horrible Harry is going to have a huge game Sunday and make Star the guy coming in off the bench week 2.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

If the Steelers run all over us I hope Star being out isn't the excuse we hear.

I think one of the regrets that Beane is going to have along with DB and guard is not adequately addressing the DT position in the offseason.

Sure if Star is healthy and has something left he's going to help a little but he's far from the savior some are making him out to be and it's not a promising sign he's already dealing with an injury before playing a down in the regular season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, FilthyBeast said:

I think one of the regrets that Beane is going to have along with DB and guard is not adequately addressing the DT position in the offseason.

Sure if Star is healthy and has something left he's going to help a little but he's far from the savior some are making him out to be and it's not a promising sign he's already dealing with an injury before playing a down in the regular season.

What do you people want us to do?  Carry multiple 1 techs?  

We aren’t designed to be dominant against the run.   We should expect, with all the investments made, to be solid against the run though.  

We play two linebackers primarily.  That isn’t a team that seems overly worried about being a run stuffing unit. 

The Steelers OL is pretty inexperienced and littered with mid-round picks.  If our DL minus Star struggles with them, that’s a problem. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Someone explained it earlier - basically to avoid a huge cap hit they have to wait until next offseason.  The opt-out killed their plan.

yes that is correct. So your saying you suspect the plan was to cut him THIS offseason (Before this season), but now they have to wait until next offseason....ok I get that. And yes that has been widely suspected based on the structure of his deal. I would imagine he will take a paycut if he wants to stay with us. He only makes like 6 million against the cap this year (which would have been last year) but it goes up for next season. None of that is related to his impact on the game though. We just cannot afford to pay big money to him with our roster makeup. 

opt out didnt kill their plan, it just kicked it down the road a year, which im sure they are grateful for now. We get an impactful Star at a decent cost for a super bowl run

Edited by PaattMaann

1 minute ago, PaattMaann said:

yes that is correct. So your saying you suspect the plan was to cut him THIS offseason (Before this season), but now they have to wait until next offseason....ok I get that. And yes that has been widely suspected based on the structure of his deal. I would imagine he will take a paycut if he wants to stay with us. He only makes like 6 million against the cap this year (which would have been last year) but it goes up for next season. None of that is related to his impact on the game though. We just cannot afford to pay big money to him with our roster makeup. 

Correct.  Although I have doubts about his “impact on the game,” agree it’s a separate point.  The issue is he takes up a lot of cap relative to his actual contribution (availability).

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Process said:

McBeane is definitely not without flaws.

Relying on Star as a solution to a major hole we had at DT was a very poor decision, IMO.

DT and CB depth was a major issue last season, it's really hard to be understand why they did nothing to address it. 

Really? There's only so much cap. They put a lot into the edges. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Pretty obvious Steelers want to limit Joshs possessions and run the ball to control TOP going to be that way this year a lot run d has got to step up 

If that works that’s good for them, I’m not sure that’s the path to beating the Bills. They will need to score a lot of points regardless of how many possessions the Bills have. Maybe I’m wrong, Jmo but playing keep away only works for so long against explosive passing offenses. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Agree 1

22 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

If the Steelers set up to run most of the game would McDermott bring Klein in and go with a standard 3 LB set?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

If that works that’s good for them, I’m not sure that’s the path to beating the Bills. They will need to score a lot of points regardless of how many possessions the Bills have. Maybe I’m wrong, Jmo but playing keep away only works for so long against explosive passing offenses. 

Right. The other thing is have they got the Oline to make long possessions happen? That's what I will be watching.

PFF had them ranked 31st going Into the season ...

Edited by Seoulofstone

I think the Steelers should be more concerned  about the Bills running game to be honest. They are going to need to keep a safety deep and are missing tuitt and Dupree is gone. Highsmith is soft against the run, Devin bush doesn’t look like his old self yet, and daboll is likely going to try to run on the perimeter. I expect jet sweeps.

2 minutes ago, Seoulofstone said:

Right. The other thing is have they got the Oline to make long possessions happen? That's what I will be watching.

PFF had them ranked 31st going Into the season ...

I don’t know but their rookie C had only played center for 4 games on college. They are relying a lot on rookies both on the OL and RB.