TJ Watt signs mega deal with Steelers

YoloinOhio

3 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Seems like only a few years ago the Bills made Mario Williams the highest paid at like $16 million a year. NFL inflation is something. 

Mario was on the south side of his career.  He lasted 4 years on a 6 year deal.  He was out of the league a year after he left Buffalo.

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Daryl Williams can make him some money Sunday with a good game against Watt

If he stays healthy this year and plays anywhere near the level he played last year, he's going to get rich real quick.

Last year he was probably the Bills best Lineman on either side of the ball and doesn't get enough credit for how good he really was all season long.

• Like (+1) 1

I agree that is too much for him.  The dollar number is hard to compare to other contracts because the cap changes...but you look at the percentage.  $28 million with the Cap this year that means the 'average' of his year number will be over 15% of the cap.  If it was for his brother during his peak years....or a player like Reggie White or Bruce Smith at their peak I can maybe see that.....but I just don't see Watt as worth that.  Is he one of the best pass rushers in the league? Yes, but he gets 14-15 sacks per year...not 20....and in the few games I have seen him play, he isn't dominant against the run spending the entire game in the backfield disrupting running plays either.

With no QB on he horizon for the Steelers in the near future they will have to pay out big dollars to, I guess this works. 

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I agree that is too much for him.  The dollar number is hard to compare to other contracts because the cap changes...but you look at the percentage.  $28 million with the Cap this year that means the 'average' of his year number will be over 15% of the cap.  If it was for his brother during his peak years....or a player like Reggie White or Bruce Smith at their peak I can maybe see that.....but I just don't see Watt as worth that.  Is he one of the best pass rushers in the league? Yes, but he gets 14-15 sacks per year...not 20....and in the few games I have seen him play, he isn't dominant against the run spending the entire game in the backfield disrupting running plays either.

With no QB on he horizon for the Steelers in the near future they will have to pay out big dollars to, I guess this works. 

Watt ertainly isn’t on Minister/Bruce level….. but we paid Mario Williams an asinine amount. It’s what happens with these contracts when push comes to shove. They’re gonna have to deal with Fitzpatrick next. 

3 hours ago, Simon said:

If he stays healthy this year and plays anywhere near the level he played last year, he's going to get rich real quick.

Last year he was probably the Bills best Lineman on either side of the ball and doesn't get enough credit for how good he really was all season long.

He signed a three year deal this off-season.  Very unlikely they will redo it to pay him more.  Diggs is the most likely guy to get a significant pay raise after this season.  And of course there is Edmunds but that would be an extension not a reworked deal.  

30 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Watt ertainly isn’t on Minister/Bruce level….. but we paid Mario Williams an asinine amount. It’s what happens with these contracts when push comes to shove. They’re gonna have to deal with Fitzpatrick next. 

That will be an interesting negotiation. Fitzpatrick is better than Jamal Adams and certainly better in coverage.  The Steelers valued him enough to give up a first round pick.  However many teams don't value the safety position, let guys walk or trade them away, and go cheap by playing rookies.   

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Lots of money. Steelers at full strength. This will be a battle. 

I agree with you.  People are sleeping on the Steelers.  Hard core defense and excellent skill position players.   The game will come down to the Bills D-line, front 7 v Steelers O-line.  I think the Bills front will win that battle. But Steelers will make their share of plays.

Watt couldn’t get past D. Williams on pass plays last year.  I agree Simon, Williams was even a little better than Dawkins last year.  I don’t get too excited at these deals as they are just astronomical, but reminds me Beane did a nice job extending our guys at fair prices.

The game Sunday won’t be easy, but their weaknesses at O Line and their secondary should be a deciding factor in us winning the game.  Our weakest point as much as one can identify is our TE group, and maybe still rushing as I only take so much stock in preseason. I still think we win 31-24.

Good...now with all that guaranteed money he can afford to take some meaningful in season time off like his brother did ;) 

9 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

BS meter high here. 

He was going out to party ;)

Then go home and play Madden all night to catch up on the playbook ;) 

We knew he had practiced with the team Wednesday, so he was going to play. This just ties up more cap later for them when it all comes crashing down. 

13 hours ago, scuba guy said:

Way to much 

What will groot ask for in 4 years if he averages 12 plus sacks a season

I will file that under "A good problem to have"

• Like (+1) 1