It's official - Red Pinto Tailgate @ Hammer's has put Ketchup Ceremony & Bowling Ball shots on hiatus

JÂy RÛßeÒ

https://www.audacy.com/wben/news/local/no-ketchup-and-mustard-ceremony-at-bills-tailgate-this-year

Orchard Park, NY (WBEN) - Fans are getting ready for their return to Highmark Stadium in Orchard Park, but not everything will be back to normal.

During an appearance on WBEN Thursday morning, Eric "The Hammer" Matwijow, owner of Hammer's Lot, said that the now-famous ketchup and mustard ceremony where 'Pinto' Ron is doused with condiments in front of a throng of screaming fans will not take place for the foreseeable future.

"This is one of the hardest interviews I've ever had to do," Matwijow told WBEN. "Kenny and I have talked about the Pinto tailgate for a while and we've made a joint decision during this COVID time that there will not be a ketchup and mustard extravaganza this tailgating season, and also no bowling ball shots."

Both the ketchup and mustard bath and bowling ball shots have become legendary as Buffalo tailgating culture has gained national attention over the past several years. The tradition had been going strong since 1990.

Matwijow said that the decision was made out of health concerns following 'Pinto' Ron's successful heart surgery this past year, though said that he is doing well and full of energy now. 'The Hammer' also mentioned staffing issues at the stadium delaying entry times at the gate for reasons to tone down the spectacle.

"When the people come in for the ketchup and mustard, it takes it to another level… We’re hoping to tone things down.”

Not all traditions are dead, though. Matwijow said that food will continue to be cooked on top of the famed Pinto, pizza will be baked inside a filing cabinet, and there will be plenty of fun to still have.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Personal Opinion here - I feel that it had all gotten too big, and was taking away from the intent of the tailgate which is an opportunity for fans of all teams to gather in an atmosphere of respect and enjoyment of our common love of our teams and the game of football.  Believe it or not, the Red Pinto Tailgate has always been a very civil event.  But the massive influx of people starting around 10:45 through noon has made it difficult for regulars to actually enjoy their individual tailgates as well as the larger collective atmosphere.  And the level of intoxication of some of those late-arrivals sometimes makes for hostility.

Sure, there as been increased media and celebrity exposure/attention but to me that's a double-edged sword.

Will I miss those things?  Not much.  But I will miss our Canadian brothers and sisters big time.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Personal Opinion here - I feel that it had all gotten too big, and was taking away from the intent of the tailgate which is an opportunity for fans of all teams to gather in an atmosphere of respect and enjoyment of our common love of our teams and the game of football.  Believe it or not, the Red Pinto Tailgate has always been a very civil event.  But the massive influx of people starting around 10:45 through noon has made it difficult for regulars to actually enjoy their individual tailgates as well as the larger collective atmosphere.  And the level of intoxication of some of those late-arrivals sometimes makes for hostility.

Sure, there as been increased media and celebrity exposure/attention but to me that's a double-edged sword.

Will I miss those things?  Not much.  But I will miss our Canadian brothers and sisters big time.

Agreed. While I appreciate the attention Bills fans have received and Hammers lot the last decade for the tailgating and event it has reached a point of too much. In general I don't think it is the worst things of the tailgating shifts ever so slightly back from scenes from 300 with food to a slighty calmer approach.

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

"When the people come in for the ketchup and mustard, it takes it to another level… We’re hoping to tone things down.”

First glad to hear 'Pinto' Ron is still doing well but it is time for him to pass the weekly torch.

I can see him saving it up for downtown during this years (and more after that) Super Bowl Victory Parade!

After the Covid worries are gone perhaps @Hammers Lot could recruit some younger fans to start a new tradition saving Ron for that once

a year gig.  Maybe some unwitting "out of town" fan asking for Ranch Dressing for his wings?

• Haha (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

But the massive influx of people starting around 10:45 through noon has made it difficult for regulars to actually enjoy their individual tailgates as well as the larger collective atmosphere.  And the level of intoxication of some of those late-arrivals sometimes makes for hostility.

Was getting damn near impossible to get back to our spot some games after 10:30 and we're not the closest spot to Kenny by far.  Us Canadians are going to be missing you all big time.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Didn't read the article, but I assume its canceled because I can't be there what with my broken ankle? 🤣

This does not preclude me from drinking out of a bowling ball at home though, correct? :beer:

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

Yeah, the whole ketchup/mustard bath thing had gotten way too commercial.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

After the Covid worries are gone perhaps @Hammers Lot could recruit some younger fans to start a new tradition saving Ron for that once

a year gig.  Maybe some unwitting "out of town" fan asking for Ranch Dressing for his wings?

Please, no.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Just Jack said:

I think you misspelled “Pick me!”

Ha!!!

Seriously, though ... it seems the time has come for Ken's show to come to an end.  I'm actually bummed, because I'm bringing someone who's never been to a game and I thought it would be a fun experience for her.

I never had a problem with the show and it never got in the way of any tailgating I've ever done.

Now that it's done, I just don't see the need to replace it with someone/something else.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Now that it's done, I just don't see the need to replace it with someone/something else.

#1 I'm glad Ken's taking care of his health.

Whatever replaces it - if anything - it's probably best to let it emerge rather than force it - and probably best to spread the activities around.

It's a bummer that the table-jumping will likely be even more (nationally) synonymous with Bills tailgates though in its absence. 

On a personal note, I'm glad I made it up there with my son finally and caught the second to last time for Ken's insanity (2019 Ravens)...

As I close in on retirement I'll try to come up more often and I promise I'll keep bringing frozen Margaritas to share!

873398827_PintoRonAfter.thumb.jpg.1bea5c0b6b58b05d7f701be24378fec6.jpg

Edited by BobChalmers
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3