Matthew Fairburn off to cover the Pats (update - he’s back)

YoloinOhio

It's simple.  Print journalism is either dying or being substantially reinvented.   The floodwaters are rising, and plenty of small-market hubs for journalistic activity have drowned.   The journalists are looking for higher ground, and in this case higher ground means larger markets.  The opportunity to cover a Boston-based team is simply a better chance for him to keep his career alive.   

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Doc said:

Like the other Marcel guy, barely knew he was covering the team, won't be missed.

Seriously?  Dude has been the best reporter over the last 7 years imo.  

that being said.  He’s unfollowed and I’ll never hear from him again

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Celebrating your own ignorance is never a good thing.

His coverage was excellent. It's unfortunate to lose him. 

What are you, his mommy?  There's enough news out there to not have paid attention to him.

• Eyeroll 1

Proof that some people will do anything for money, 

10 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

The Athletic is losing $ and looking for a buyer.  I suspect they will stay with 2 Buffalo reporters.

That's what I figured.  I dropped my sub over the summer as I just wasn't using it a whole lot, and I've been getting non-stop 50% off offers in my inbox.  I thought that was odd because they seemed pretty grounded in their position that "good journalism" isn't cheap and readers should pay a premium for it.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I agree with @Royale with Cheese 

Has to suck as the New England job was probably a dream job for some of these guys the last 20 years. Now making the switch seems like a punishment as the Bills ascend to the top. Poor guy is going to have to write about the Mac Jones roller coaster all year long now. 

It's probably easier to write about a team in disarray and struggling as opposed to a team that is well organized and firing on all cylinders.  Controversy and drama are the lifeblood of "journalists".  Fairburn probably realized that the Bills are going to be boringly good and consistent for the next several years and he realized that it was going to be boring writing article after article about how perfect a team they are.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What terrible timing by him.  He joins the Patriots as the dynasty has already ended.  He's leaving the Bills when their dynasty is starting.

Marino from Locked On Bills does it solo and does a good job.

He does but one big difference is he records and edits before letting it out.  A live recording might not be so stellar.

48 minutes ago, Just Joshin' said:

The Athletic is losing $ and looking for a buyer.  I suspect they will stay with 2 Buffalo reporters.

Yes, the Athletic is looking for a "partner"...allegedly talked to the NY Times (their sports is weak) I read.  But, I disagree they will keep two reporters on Buffalo.  Joe B does a great job, and is the reason I subscribed to the A in the first place.  I never accepted the dual coverage although I admit Fairburn was doing acceptable journalistic work.  I am good with just Joe B covering the Bills for that outlet.

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Like the other Marcel guy, barely knew he was covering the team, won't be missed.

True.  These people are all completely interchangeable producing the same generic, cliched pieces week after week.

Adios, last guy.  Welcome next person!

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Economy hit hard. I've had to sell my body, Matt had to sell his soul 🤷‍♂️

Seriously though, how the heck does that work? I couldn't imagine trying to make that change mentally, career or not, good luck to him

Well, in theory, reporters aren't supposed to be invested in the teams they cover.

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

What terrible timing by him.  He joins the Patriots as the dynasty has already ended.  He's leaving the Bills when their dynasty is starting.

Marino from Locked On Bills does it solo and does a good job.

Speaking of, ever hear his "Herd Mentality" Q&A episodes? Those questions are just too well written to be real questions from your typical jamokes. You know what I mean?

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Well, in theory, reporters aren't supposed to be invested in the teams they cover.

Speaking of, ever hear his "Herd Mentality" Q&A episodes? Those questions are just too well written to be real questions from your typical jamokes. You know what I mean?

I'm sure he filters out the bad questions.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.